Old 08-08-2007, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Autumn is coming......

......which got me thinking about which winter/early spring flowering shrubs
people would like to plant if they haven't already got them? Perhaps it
will jog a few memories into going out to buy something they've been meaning
to get!
One of my major favourites is Sarcococca - the power of the scent of those
tiny white flowers is astonishing.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Sacha

But we haven't had Summer yet!

How many shopping days left to Christmas?

:-)

David.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/8/07 16:32, in article , "David
(Normandy)" wrote:

--
Sacha

But we haven't had Summer yet!

How many shopping days left to Christmas?

Must be the chilly mornings..... But Aug/Sep/Oct are good months to put
shrubs in. The soil is still warm and they get their feet down and get away
well. This does not apply to periods of drought or absences on holiday, of
course. ;-)

Old 08-08-2007, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/8/07 17:18, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 17:32:44 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"

Sacha

But we haven't had Summer yet!

How many shopping days left to Christmas?

:-)

Father Xmas is in West End stores

In mufti, I hope!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Must be the chilly mornings..... But Aug/Sep/Oct are good months to put
shrubs in. The soil is still warm and they get their feet down and get
away
well. This does not apply to periods of drought or absences on holiday,
of
course. ;-)

--
Sacha

I'll get my Rosa Rugosa "seedlings" in then. They are around 6 inches high
now and ready to be out of their little pots.

David.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/8/07 17:26, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:20:29 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 8/8/07 17:18, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 17:32:44 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"

Sacha

But we haven't had Summer yet!

How many shopping days left to Christmas?

:-)

Father Xmas is in West End stores

In mufti, I hope!

In full costume.

Where? I think we need a civil protest.....or even an uncivil one! ;-)

Old 08-08-2007, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/8/07 19:13, in article , "David
(Normandy)" wrote:

Must be the chilly mornings..... But Aug/Sep/Oct are good months to put
shrubs in. The soil is still warm and they get their feet down and get
away
well. This does not apply to periods of drought or absences on holiday,
of
course. ;-)

--
Sacha

I'll get my Rosa Rugosa "seedlings" in then. They are around 6 inches high
now and ready to be out of their little pots.

David.

Poor little souls. Won't you send them to a 1 or 2 litre prep school first?
;-)
If you're going to use 6" cuttings they need plenty of root and to go into
very good ground. And even then it's asking a lot of them. 6" are real
babies!
But I was thinking of winter flowering shrubs or didn't I say that?
Absent-minded moment, perhaps? So what will you plant in Normandy that
will flower in winter/early spring, David? What would be your favoured
choice?

Old 08-08-2007, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Sacha

But we haven't had Summer yet!

How many shopping days left to Christmas?

:-)

David.

http://www.allcapecod.com/shoptillchristmas.cfm ............... "~))
Jenny

Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Sacha

But we haven't had Summer yet!

How many shopping days left to Christmas?

:-)

David.

http://www.allcapecod.com/shoptillchristmas.cfm ............... "~))
Jenny

and that's when I will be cruising on the new Cunard Queen Victoria :-))

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 08-08-2007, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/8/07 21:49, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Sacha

But we haven't had Summer yet!

How many shopping days left to Christmas?

:-)

David.

http://www.allcapecod.com/shoptillchristmas.cfm ............... "~))
Jenny

Those AYR Christmas shops are enough to make anyone foreswear the entire
idea and for ever.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
Sacha

But we haven't had Summer yet!

How many shopping days left to Christmas?

:-)

David.

http://www.allcapecod.com/shoptillchristmas.cfm ............... "~))
Jenny

Those AYR Christmas shops are enough to make anyone foreswear the entire
idea and for ever.

Did you see the photos in, I think, last Saturday's Mail, of all four
seasons on the same day?
Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 8/8/07 19:13, in article ,
"David
(Normandy)" wrote:

[...]

They've got plenty of roots - they're seedlings not cuttings. Grown from
last Autumns hips. I'm planting a hedge with them so have got around 100
plants. 1 or 2 litre pots would be a bit of a luxury. I've glyphosated the
ground where they are going and all the grass and weeds have died, so they
should be off to a reasonable start free of competition.

I'm not sure about flowering shrubs, that is the realm of the Mrs. We've a
couple of forsythia that are a mass of yellow flowers in Spring.

David.

Nov 11 - Autumn Leaves Autumn Sky_8129.jpg John - Pa. Garden Photos 0 11-11-2007 10:10 PM
The Locusts Are Coming; The Loco Locusts Are Coming BroJack Gardening 7 18-05-2004 03:10 PM
Roots coming out of stems everywhere??? Ron Nelson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 15-03-2003 06:59 AM
Birds coming through animaux Gardening 2 07-02-2003 04:47 PM
OT - Mosquitos Are Coming! TOM KAN PA Gardening 0 01-02-2003 01:43 AM