Old 09-08-2007, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default glyphospate a year old

Does already mixed glyphosphate in the spray bottle lose any affectiveness
after a year or so?

We have some invasive and difficult to reach bamboo plant between a shed and
a wall and need the *maximum* effectiveness.

Would that mean spraying a tall piece of bamboo, or cutting it down so as
just to spray a few leaves that are nearer to the ground, please?

Old 09-08-2007, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johngood_____" wrote in message

Does already mixed glyphosphate in the spray bottle lose any

affectiveness
after a year or so?

We have some invasive and difficult to reach bamboo plant between a

shed and
a wall and need the *maximum* effectiveness.

Would that mean spraying a tall piece of bamboo, or cutting it down so

as
just to spray a few leaves that are nearer to the ground, please?

If you are not in a hurray you could use the already mixed product to
see whether it has degraded and become non effective.

Best to spray the growing head of the whole bamboo as you will then be
maximizing the effects of the chemical.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 13-08-2007, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Emrys Davies" wrote:

"johngood_____" wrote in message

Does already mixed glyphosphate in the spray bottle lose any

affectiveness
after a year or so?

We have some invasive and difficult to reach bamboo plant between a

shed and
a wall and need the *maximum* effectiveness.

Would that mean spraying a tall piece of bamboo, or cutting it down so

as
just to spray a few leaves that are nearer to the ground, please?

If you are not in a hurray you could use the already mixed product to
see whether it has degraded and become non effective.

Best to spray the growing head of the whole bamboo as you will then be
maximizing the effects of the chemical.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

No idea whether it degrades, but it works by being absorbed
by the plant and killing it systemically. So for maximum absorption
you want maximum leaf area. So put it on now before cutting anything.
I don't imagine there will be any difference between the "growing head"
(wherever that is on a bamboo) and any other green leaves. Its got to be
on the leaves, not the soil near the bamboo. If you don't much care
about the space between the shed and the wall, you might try common salt,
which bamboos particularly hate, on the soil.
Old 14-08-2007, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John McMillan" wrote in message
In article ,
"Emrys Davies" wrote:

"johngood_____" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks to all. With regard to the salt, would its effect on the soil be
long lasting? Or might I be able to grow something there if i wanted to
after a year or two? ( I guess i'm asking how long the salt might take to
break down and neutralise in the soil). Thanks.

Old 14-08-2007, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote:

"johngood_____" wrote in message

[...]

I don't imagine salt would ever break down or neutralise. Given enough
rainfall it would wash out, depending on your drainage and how
much you'd put on. If your soil has a lot of clay I'd guess the
salt would persist many years. Some plants don't mind salt
and live in salty environments. Most such plants are beach and
cliff dwellers that prefer an open aspect. If you want to re-use
the soil and space without problems in as short a time as possible,
then go for the glyphosate. I only mentioned the salt since I thought
the space between the shed and wall was inaccessible and unwanted.

Old 15-08-2007, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote:

"johngood_____" wrote in message

[...]

Salt (i.e. common salt) doesn't actually break down or neutralise. All
that happens is that it eventually gets leached out of the soil by
rain and ground-water movement. How long this takes very much depends
on the type of soil: thin sandy soils will clear much faster than
heavy clay, for example. I'd stick with glyphosate. AIUI it degrades
quite quickly in the soil. I find even old glyphosate quite effective.
Spray it on and see.

--
Chris

Old 15-08-2007, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote:

"johngood_____" wrote in message

[...]

E-mail: christopher[dot]hogg[at]virgin[dot]net- Hide quoted text -

We had half a 5 gallon back-pack sprayer full left for a year, it
worked fine.

Judith

Old 16-08-2007, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 16, 10:59 am, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:00:50 -0000, "

"Emrys Davies" wrote:

"johngood_____" wrote in message

[...]

If OP had tried it, when OP first posted, OP would know the answer by now. :-)
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

The moral is "Try it and see?" :-))

Judith