Old 11-08-2007, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slicing runner beans

I've spent many hours slicing runner beans for consumption and for freezing
and for the simple reason that that is how my parents did them. Today for a
change we ate some steamed beans whole (just topped and tailed) and frankly
they were better than sliced! They are much sweeter cooked whole. Presumably
the water leaches out the natural sugars easier when sliced or diced.

I can't believe the number of hours I've wasted slicing beans, only to
reduce their taste!

You live and learn.

David.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I've spent many hours slicing runner beans for consumption and for
freezing and for the simple reason that that is how my parents did them.
Today for a change we ate some steamed beans whole (just topped and
tailed) and frankly they were better than sliced! They are much sweeter
cooked whole. Presumably the water leaches out the natural sugars easier
when sliced or diced.

I agree. but I don't even tail them, just take off the knobbly bit at the
stem end if I've pulled it off with the bean.

Like you, I spent decades slicing them.

Also, I put them in a pan with about 1/2" of water and cook them gently for
about four minutes, so that they squeak when we bite into them!

Tonight I did masses - because we've been away and they haven't been picked.
Spouse had toms, salad blue pots, hot smoked salmon and the beans (and
mayonnaise made with our banties' eggs) and I had an Arbroath smokie (from
Arbroath on our way home) instead of the salmon.

Bliss ...

I can't believe the number of hours I've wasted slicing beans, only to
reduce their taste!

Yes. What a waste of life!

You live and learn.

Today I gave No 5 child a handful of beans and insisted that he cooked them
whole, he said he'd try it (daren't disobey even at 38!) so he's learning
too.

Mary

Old 11-08-2007, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I've spent many hours slicing runner beans for consumption and for
freezing and for the simple reason that that is how my parents did them.
Today for a change we ate some steamed beans whole (just topped and
tailed) and frankly they were better than sliced! They are much sweeter
cooked whole. Presumably the water leaches out the natural sugars easier
when sliced or diced.

I can't believe the number of hours I've wasted slicing beans, only to
reduce their taste!

I never slice beans, but I do pick them early so they just have to be cut
into chunks and boiled for a short time.

Picking them early is the clue.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I've spent many hours slicing runner beans for consumption and for
freezing and for the simple reason that that is how my parents did them.
Today for a change we ate some steamed beans whole (just topped and
tailed) and frankly they were better than sliced! They are much sweeter
cooked whole. Presumably the water leaches out the natural sugars easier
when sliced or diced.

I can't believe the number of hours I've wasted slicing beans, only to
reduce their taste!

I never slice beans, but I do pick them early so they just have to be cut
into chunks and boiled for a short time.

Picking them early is the clue.

Not cutting them at all is the best way.

Mary

Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David \(Normandy\) View Post
I've spent many hours slicing runner beans for consumption and for freezing
and for the simple reason that that is how my parents did them. Today for a
change we ate some steamed beans whole (just topped and tailed) and frankly
they were better than sliced! They are much sweeter cooked whole. Presumably
the water leaches out the natural sugars easier when sliced or diced.

I can't believe the number of hours I've wasted slicing beans, only to
reduce their taste!

You live and learn.

David.

Thanks for the tip! I am going to try steaming them!... solaara

Old 11-08-2007, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 11, 7:27 pm, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
I've spent many hours slicing runner beans for consumption and for freezing
and for the simple reason that that is how my parents did them. Today for a
change we ate some steamed beans whole (just topped and tailed) and frankly
they were better than sliced! They are much sweeter cooked whole. Presumably
the water leaches out the natural sugars easier when sliced or diced.

I can't believe the number of hours I've wasted slicing beans, only to
reduce their taste!

You live and learn.

David.

David, did you take the stringy side bit out?

Judith

Old 12-08-2007, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ps.com...
wrote:
I've spent many hours slicing runner beans for consumption and for
freezing
and for the simple reason that that is how my parents did them. Today for
change we ate some steamed beans whole (just topped and tailed) and
frankly
they were better than sliced! They are much sweeter cooked whole.
Presumably
the water leaches out the natural sugars easier when sliced or diced.

I can't believe the number of hours I've wasted slicing beans, only to
reduce their taste!

You live and learn.

David.

David, did you take the stringy side bit out?

Judith

The beans are a stringless variety, or at least they are until they get too
big and old to eat anyway.

David.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

[...]

Right - I'll leave on the pointy end too then! I like them cooked just past
squeaky but still firm. My teeth disapprove of squeaky food :-( sends
shudders down my spine.

David.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I've spent many hours slicing runner beans for consumption and for
freezing and for the simple reason that that is how my parents did them.
Today for a change we ate some steamed beans whole (just topped and
tailed) and frankly they were better than sliced! They are much sweeter
cooked whole. Presumably the water leaches out the natural sugars easier
when sliced or diced.

I can't believe the number of hours I've wasted slicing beans, only to
reduce their taste!

I never slice beans, but I do pick them early so they just have to be cut
into chunks and boiled for a short time.

Picking them early is the clue.

Not cutting them at all is the best way.

Mary

I have to agree having tasted the difference. Cutting them must allow all
the natural sugars to soak out in cooking. It also explains why they leave
my fingers sticky after slicing them - it is all the sugar content in them.

David.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

David, did you take the stringy side bit out?

Judith

The beans are a stringless variety, or at least they are until they get
too big and old to eat anyway.

David.

Yes, you don't leave them to grow to the stringy stage.

Mary

Old 12-08-2007, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, David (Normandy) wrote:

[...]

Well, having read this thread I thought I would try not slicing them,
nor even topping and tailing them. They were my first pickings of the
year. They were tender, no stringiness and even the tops and tails were
edible. But .... I didn't think the flavour was any different to be
honest!

David (writing from Normandy!)

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 12-08-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I've spent many hours slicing runner beans for consumption and for
freezing and for the simple reason that that is how my parents did them.
Today for a change we ate some steamed beans whole (just topped and
tailed) and frankly they were better than sliced! They are much sweeter
cooked whole. Presumably the water leaches out the natural sugars easier
when sliced or diced.

I can't believe the number of hours I've wasted slicing beans, only to
reduce their taste!

I never slice beans, but I do pick them early so they just have to be cut
into chunks and boiled for a short time.

Picking them early is the clue.

Not cutting them at all is the best way.

Maybe, but i like just to be able to stick a fork in them and put them in my
mouth, don't want to have to cut them on the plate!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

You don't!

Just put them in your mouth.

In fact I don't use a fork, I pick them up and bite them.

Mary

Old 12-08-2007, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 20:27:30 +0200, David (Normandy) wrote:

I've spent many hours slicing runner beans for consumption and for freezing
and for the simple reason that that is how my parents did them. Today for a
change we ate some steamed beans whole (just topped and tailed) and frankly
they were better than sliced! They are much sweeter cooked whole. Presumably
the water leaches out the natural sugars easier when sliced or diced.

Tried it tonight (first time ever) - absolutely wonderful :-)

Thanks David
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 12-08-2007, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Ah, but I'm bit more posh than you!(:-)

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM