Old 11-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Registered User

Default saw the last sticky thread

Thank you for looking at my thread. Scenario: Have aquired a garden for the the first time last summer. Have a sunroom which I grew loads of seeds on. Not quite realising that I would achieve what they said on the packet and they are huge and I've had millions of the same 5 plants. Know my lesson next year, my neighbours are happy though. I have a business and small child and what I want to know is,I designed the front garden for minimalism but now I want flowers. Can I have both? I want to know if I can bury bulbs for perenniel growth under bark? It is a bit windy there on the coast so I am unsure if a) if they will grow if I plant them now. ( cant be digging them up in the winter thno we generally have mild winters down south.) or b) if the bulb thingies will survive once they sprout or c) if they will grow from under the bark at all. Please reply back to me asap, I
have put in various searches and done the FAQs to no avail.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"juniperjungle" wrote in message

Thank you for looking at my thread. Scenario: Have aquired a garden
for the the first time last summer. Have a sunroom which I grew loads
of seeds on. Not quite realising that I would achieve what they said
on the packet and they are huge and I've had millions of the same 5
plants. Know my lesson next year, my neighbours are happy though.

LOL - one lives and learns !

have a business and small child and what I want to know is,I designed
the front garden for minimalism but now I want flowers. Can I have
both?

Ummmm - you could go for larger structural type flowering plants : Cannas.
some of the hardy gingers, day lillies. I'd avoid anything to 'floppy'
unless you want to totally turn it around into a flower garden. Do you have
any photo's ?

I want to know if I can bury bulbs for perenniel growth under
bark?

Yes they will

It is a bit windy there on the coast so I am unsure if

a) if they will grow if I plant them now. ( cant be digging them up in the
winter thno we generally have mild winters down south.)

Yes, September is a good time to plant most bulbs. See this site for more
info:
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/flowe...ting_bulbs.php

or b) if the bulb thingies will survive once they sprout

Yes they will :~) They survive frost and snow even when above ground.

or c) if they will grow from under the bark at all.

Yes they will.
Jenny

Old 12-08-2007, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

Yes you can grow bulbs under bark. Autumn is a good time to plant many types of
bulb. If your site is windy I would go for miniatures that don't grow too high.
"suitable for naturalising" is probably a key phrase for you as it means they
dont need to be dug up but will (we hope) come up year after year if left
undisturbed.
I would reccomend that you visit the websites of some reputable bulb nurseries
and browse through what they have. They will have a much wider selectction than
a garden centre, they will have been kept in good conditions until they are
sold. They may be a bit more expensive. Firms I have bought from online and
been happy with have been Bloms Bulbs, Walkers bulbs and Fentongollan Farm. I
am sure you could google these to find their URLs.
My personal favourites for naturalising are miniture narcissi such as febuary
gold jetfire and tete a tete; Snakes head fritillaries; Lilly of the valley;
and Erythronium revolutum
Just a a thought, I'm sure that you know that after a bulb has finished
flowering you have to leave the leaves to build up energy for next year. These
can look a bit messy to a devoted minimalist!! you might want to try a small
patch this year and see if you like the look before planting the whole garden.

Gill M
Old 14-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Matthews View Post
In article ,
says...

[...]

Thank you Gill,

I am not a devoted minimalist by any standards!! but am still very green but am giving things a good go and to be honest that sounds perfect where I don't have to do much tidying up as I am more than happy for leaves to go back naturally!! I will search your options tomorrow. Also would you know, I planted freesias in my back garden in the spring but not one grew, is that due to the quality of the bulb do you think or do they special conditions?

June
Old 14-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyC View Post
[...]

Jenny, thank you

I have planted some architectural plants and grasses already and they look good along with the gargantuous creations which is still to flower! But I am thrilled with your information and thank you for looking out that link for me, I will look at it tomorrow when I have more time. I have lost the lead for my digicam to the computer so I can't post a photo unless I buy a card reader, which maybe a good investment anyhow!

Thank you again and I'm sure you see many more postings from me in the future!!!

June