Old 19-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Registered User

Red face Addition to last thread posted

As we have children, anything that attracts bees & wasps is a no go!
Old 19-04-2005, 03:20 PM
bigboard

paulwilks wrote:

As we have children, anything that attracts bees & wasps is a no go!

As it is largely colour and scent that attract pollinating insects, I would
say you are stuffed. And last time I looked, bees and wasps don't carry
children off from the garden.

--
Fortune's Fictitious Country Song Title of the Week:
"How Can I Miss You if You Won't Go Away?"

Old 19-04-2005, 04:21 PM
pb

In article , paulwilks.1nqo82
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

As we have children, anything that attracts bees & wasps is a no go!

Why is everyone so afraid of bees and wasps? I am 60 and have been stung once,
when a bee flew through my car window and got stuck between me and my seat. My
wife has never been stung and neither have my two children. Have we just been
lucky? Or is it because none of us flap and squeal about when we see the
beasties?
Now ants, the spiteful little buggers bite me every time I go in the garden.
Old 19-04-2005, 04:27 PM

i love seeing bees flying around my garden and i think as gardeners it
is our duty to encourage them.
I even have a bee nest! Most bees are completely docile and will only
stung if you harass them. What you might want to watch out for are
wasps in autumn when they are drunk from eating ripe fruit and go a bit
crazed and angry - so keeping fruit trees out of the garden instead of
flowers.

Old 19-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Mike

I don't panic over wasps or bees,

BUT

my wife is allergic to wasp and bee stings. It is noted in her medical
records. She has been stung in the past and then it is panic FOR US if stung
on the arm or wrist

Off rings, off watch lay down call doctor.

She swells up like a barrage ballon and that is without any panic at all

on the other hand

I went into the garge, picked up my spade and there was a wasp under the
handle. Stung me, Ouch, and that was all.

As they say in the Royal Navy, "Different Ships, Different cap tallies" What
suits one does not suit another

Mike

Old 19-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Magwitch

pb muttered:

In article , paulwilks.1nqo82
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

As we have children, anything that attracts bees & wasps is a no go!

Why is everyone so afraid of bees and wasps? I am 60 and have been stung
once,
when a bee flew through my car window and got stuck between me and my seat.
My
wife has never been stung and neither have my two children. Have we just been
lucky? Or is it because none of us flap and squeal about when we see the
beasties?
Now ants, the spiteful little buggers bite me every time I go in the garden.

Indeed. If it weren't for bees and wasps there'd be no flowers to garden and
logically no gardeners or garden newsgroups... children need to know that
life isn't going to be devoid of any physical discomfort and parents who are
so over-cautious with them do them a grave disservice.

Old 19-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike" writes:
| I don't panic over wasps or bees,
|
| BUT
|
| my wife is allergic to wasp and bee stings. It is noted in her medical
| records. She has been stung in the past and then it is panic FOR US if stung
| on the arm or wrist

Mine is allergic to bee strings, though not quite as allergic,
and we don't worry about them. All she does is try to avoid
getting stung - which is pretty easy. Bees don't sting unless
you squeeze them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Mike

Mine is allergic to bee strings, though not quite as allergic,
and we don't worry about them. All she does is try to avoid
getting stung - which is pretty easy. Bees don't sting unless
you squeeze them.

"Steer Clear" is the order of the day :-))

Mike

Old 19-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwilks
As we have children, anything that attracts bees & wasps is a no go!
surely not!!
Old 19-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Kay

In article , pb
writes
In article , paulwilks.1nqo82
says...

As we have children, anything that attracts bees & wasps is a no go!

Why is everyone so afraid of bees and wasps? I am 60 and have been stung once,
when a bee flew through my car window and got stuck between me and my seat.

I've been stung several times, including as a child, but it's no big
deal. OK, some people area allergic and for them a sting is a life
threatening event, but for most of us a sting is not a danger. And it is
in any case very unlikely, since neither bees nor wasps sting unless
provoked.

--
Kay

Old 19-04-2005, 07:54 PM
p00kie

"paulwilks" wrote in message
news

As we have children, anything that attracts bees & wasps is a no go!

--
paulwilks

What's wrong with bees and wasps ... don't you want your children to learn
about nature and life!

Old 19-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
jay jay wrote:

paulwilks Wrote:
As we have children, anything that attracts bees & wasps is a no go!

surely not!!

Oh, yes! As sticky children do that, doubtless they will be forbidden
to eat anything containing sugar, and carefully scrubbed clean before
being allowed outside.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Sacha

On 19/4/05 14:47, in article ,
"paulwilks" wrote:

As we have children, anything that attracts bees & wasps is a no go!

To be honest, you're striking out having a garden at all, really. There
are certain things you can avoid, like Escallonia and Echiums which are bee
heaven and ivy because wasps seem to go mad when it flowers. But on the
whole, the chances of your children being stung are very small indeed. We
kept a bee hive in the garden all of my 3 children's young years (they're
now in their twenties) and one of them was stung for disobeying 'rules'.
The rules were not to walk right in front of the beehive's landing area at
the hive and not to walk on the lawn barefoot because we had a lot of white
clover, which bees love. It was the clover that was the downfall for one
small child's foot and one dog's paw. OTOH, I've seen them using their bare
hands to fish out bees that had fallen into the pond without any ill effects
whatsoever. I am extremely allergic to bee stings but take reasonable
precautions like not working in any area of the garden that's particularly
busy with bees at that time and so far, so good. A wasp stung me about two
years ago and I had a mild swelling and some short-lived pain and itching
which was gone by the next day.
I never, ever worried about what I planted with regard to my children
getting stung or not, so unless your children have a severe allergic
reaction that you know about already, I think you'll find that they will
enjoy watching these marvellous creatures if you teach the children to
respect them, keep clear of their flight paths and don't touch them. If
you're lucky, you'll have a bee keeping society near you with an observation
hive and you could take your children along to watch a colony at work. It's
the most fascinating thing to see and I recommend it highly for all of you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk