Old 12-08-2007, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sick roses

Hi all,

Unfortunately 2 years ago our gardener/ farm hand used round up spray on
over 100 roses in our formal rose beds. Yes it was on purpose.

I removed the dead roses and took most of the old dirt out and filled the
beds with new dirt and lots of leaf compost.

I put all new roses in. I did 4 beds in a mass display of white ice. The
roses are struggling and many have died. They have light green sickly
leaves. I have fertilized and also used a treatment which was recommended.

Any suggestions?

Before the poisoning we enjoyed beautiful roses. They grow very well here.

Alice

Old 12-08-2007, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alice" wrote in message
Hi all,

Unfortunately 2 years ago our gardener/ farm hand used round up spray on
over 100 roses in our formal rose beds. Yes it was on purpose.

That's awful! I hope he isn't employed by you now.

Can't advise you though, I'm not a rose lover.

Mary

Old 12-08-2007, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Alice" wrote in message
Hi all,

Unfortunately 2 years ago our gardener/ farm hand used round up spray on
over 100 roses in our formal rose beds. Yes it was on purpose.

That's awful! I hope he isn't employed by you now.

Can't advise you though, I'm not a rose lover.

Mary

He is definitely NOT employed any longer. I believe he is still unemployed.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alice wrote:
:: Hi all,
::
[...]

There is something generally known as rose replanting sickness which I
believe from GQT is still not understood fully. It means that roses should
not be planted immediately in ground that roses have been removed from. They
say it can be ovecome by digging out a section of the soil and replacing
with fresh soil
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0205/replant.asp

Old 12-08-2007, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alice wrote:

Hi all,

Unfortunately 2 years ago our gardener/ farm hand used round up spray on
over 100 roses in our formal rose beds. Yes it was on purpose.

I removed the dead roses and took most of the old dirt out and filled the
beds with new dirt and lots of leaf compost.

I put all new roses in. I did 4 beds in a mass display of white ice. The
roses are struggling and many have died. They have light green sickly
leaves. I have fertilized and also used a treatment which was recommended.

Any suggestions?

Before the poisoning we enjoyed beautiful roses. They grow very well here.

How about weeds? Do they grow healthily in the new soil?

Old 13-08-2007, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
Alice wrote:

Hi all,

Unfortunately 2 years ago our gardener/ farm hand used round up spray on
over 100 roses in our formal rose beds. Yes it was on purpose.

I removed the dead roses and took most of the old dirt out and filled

the
beds with new dirt and lots of leaf compost.

I put all new roses in. I did 4 beds in a mass display of white ice. The
roses are struggling and many have died. They have light green sickly
leaves. I have fertilized and also used a treatment which was

recommended.

Any suggestions?

Before the poisoning we enjoyed beautiful roses. They grow very well

here.

How about weeds? Do they grow healthily in the new soil?

Come to think of it, NO there are hardly no weeds in the beds. So this would
mean the soil is no good?

How deep down should I remove the soil? 1 or 2 shovel depths?

Old 13-08-2007, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:11:22 +0100, Alice wrote
(in article ):

Alice wrote:

[...]

If there are no weeds growing there either, that doesn't sound like round-up
(which should not affect the soil but only the plants) but something more
lethal. Do you know for sure it was round-up?

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 13-08-2007, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alice wrote:

[...]

As Sally suggests it probably was not round-up, but something more
lethal if weeds are not growing. All I can suggest is come Winter take
the roses out and plant them elsewhere, if that is possible, judging by
your post it seems you may be a farmer, so get a small area near plough
and put them there as a temporary home. As regards how much to take out
I suppose that depends on how deep the nasty has gone. Again if you are
in farming taking all the top soil off may not be a problem for you,
then replace it. If you get the work done in time you could try
replacing the roses before next Spring. Roses are pretty tough, why not
consult one of the rose growers around the country, maybe it would be
beneficial to wash the roots before replanting, I don't know but they
would. Of course if you do know for certain what chemical was applied
then an email to the manufacturer would be sure to elicit help.
Old 13-08-2007, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

al.net...

Alice wrote:

[...]

No Sally, I don't know for sure. The garden was looking fabulous and I took
a heap of photos, then within a couple days they all started dieing and the
grass and area around the base went brown too.

Think it is time I get an expert in to look at the problem.

Old 13-08-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message

[...]

I think your right. I need to take some drastic steps as you suggest.
Yes we have farming equipment. The formal gardens are about 1 hectare with 2
hectares of park land and the rest of the property grazing fields.
The beds are typical French formal style with all the beds done in brick
boxing, patterned around a long cemented pond. I can't get the tractor in
there, but can get the quad with trailer in the lanes between. I have a
couple men to help get the dirt out, so that's not a problem.
The miniature hedge that boxes each bed is still growing well. Would you see
a problem if I leave them in?

When I get the beds ready for replanting, would you have a good online rose
dealers I might be able to use in the UK. I'd be looking for about 300 new
roses.
Thanks
Alice

Old 13-08-2007, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alice wrote:

[...]

The good news is few weed killers are persistent for that long in the soil,
all wash down steadily with time so shifting the soil may not be necessary,
I would pay for a proper sampling to find out what's what, as it would cost
more to shift the soil. Having rescued the roses you may be able to return
them in a year or so. But what is a bit concerning is that you have already
replaced the soil and it appears to be the new soil that is causing your
problems, where did it come from? has your disgruntled gardener struck
again?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-08-2007, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" remove my
other hobby to reply wrote in message
Alice wrote:
:: Hi all,
::
[...]

As Robert says, this looks like rose replant disease - replacing soil
is probably the best solution. Or grow something else for a few years.
The roundup is extremely unlikely to be implicated.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Old 13-08-2007, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alice wrote:

[...]

Well it seems your ex-gardener didn't use Roundup, but something far
more noxious. You need to get a soil sample analysed for safety's sake.
There may possibly be a dangerous chemical lurking within your soil,
especially if this has continued after 2 years. I'd contact your local
Environmental Health officer and/or Soil Association
(www.soilassociation.org/ )to start with.