Old 13-08-2007, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flymo Hover Comact 350 motor

Yesterday my Flymo Hover Compact 350 gave up the ghost, bottom line is the
motor is shot. Off to the internet I go to find a new motor.

I was quite surprised to see how much a replacement motor costs (bound to be
a small premium on spares), the best I could find was £42 all in (includes
VAT and delivery). Now considering I can pick up one of these mowers new for
£59.99 I'm stunned by the motor only price !.

I'm tempted to buy the new mower due to the warranty etc but I realy don't
feel happy with the fact that I'll be throwing away all that plastic at the
council tip.

I suppose the point of this post is...

Looking for a supplier of cheap new/reconditioned motors.
Whine about how everything is treated as being disposable nowadays

Old 13-08-2007, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Aug, 12:14, "Fatboy40" wrote:
I suppose the point of this post is...

Looking for a supplier of cheap new/reconditioned motors.
Whine about how everything is treated as being disposable nowadays

There is a more positive way to look at these things. Engineering has
improved, and sales quantities increased, to the point where it is
worthwhile value-engineering the product to reduce the original cost.
(there were not even any electric mowers at all 50 years ago!)

Reliability is now so high that the number of replacement motors
moving through the repair channel is low. This means that the cost of
each one works out quite high, because there are no efficiencies of
scale.

The plastic and steel can be recycled. Your difficult choice is the
product of a lot of clever people optimising the processs.

40 years ago you would have bought a push mower, built to last 30
years. It would have cost you a months wages. Now you can buy an
electric one that will cost a week's wages and last (normally) 5 to 10
years. Are you better off or worse off?

flymo hover compact 330 eddyjack United Kingdom 1 06-05-2010 03:31 PM
hover fly after grass pollen paul[_2_] Garden Photos 0 22-08-2009 02:13 PM
Hover flies. soup[_2_] United Kingdom 10 16-08-2009 04:09 PM
Hover collect mowers Conrad Edwards United Kingdom 12 26-05-2004 10:16 AM
A lot less bother with a hover.. ha ha ha Arklay United Kingdom 0 29-01-2004 04:02 AM