Old 23-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Conrad Edwards

Default Hover collect mowers

We currently have a small electric rotary mower.
SWMBO has decided that we need a hover collect mower for our small
patch of grass (2 lots of 15ft x 10ft)...she has been looking at the
JCB 310.
Anyone got any opinions of the JCB or B&Q hover collect mowers?
Should I tell just her to get off her fat a*** and get the rake out of
the garage?
Old 23-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Kevin Groves

Conrad Edwards wrote:

Anyone got any opinions of the JCB or B&Q hover collect mowers?
Should I tell just her to get off her fat a*** and get the rake out of
the garage?

I was looking at the B&Q one this morning and thinking of buying that
one. My hover packed up last weekend, the grass is getting long again
and I'm NOT going to use the strimmer again. :-)

Kev,
Old 23-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Steve Black

"Conrad Edwards" wrote in message
m...
We currently have a small electric rotary mower.
SWMBO has decided that we need a hover collect mower for our small
patch of grass (2 lots of 15ft x 10ft)...she has been looking at the
JCB 310.
Anyone got any opinions of the JCB or B&Q hover collect mowers?
Should I tell just her to get off her fat a*** and get the rake out of
the garage?

At £47 ATM the Flymo is a steal at B&Q.

Old 24-05-2004, 02:09 AM
David Hill

"................ Should I tell just her to get off her fat a*** and get the
rake out of the garage? ........."

As it's such a small area why don't YOU get the rake out, it will only take
you about 10 mins at the most.
I am surprised that none of our girls here haven't said anything.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-05-2004, 09:06 AM
martin

On Mon, 24 May 2004 01:11:19 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

"................ Should I tell just her to get off her fat a*** and get the
rake out of the garage? ........."

As it's such a small area why don't YOU get the rake out, it will only take
you about 10 mins at the most.
I am surprised that none of our girls here haven't said anything.

They are too busy sticking hat pins in wax effigies.
Old 24-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 24 May 2004 01:11:19 +0100, David Hill wrote:

I am surprised that none of our girls here haven't said anything.

Probably treating it with the contempt it deserves...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 24-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Kay Easton

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
I am surprised that none of our girls here haven't said anything.

You really think it was worth a serious reply?

(Remember, most of 'our girls', who are in fact women, have heard it all
before ad nauseam)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 24-05-2004, 11:08 AM
David Hill

"............(Remember, most of 'our girls', who are in fact women, have
heard it all before ad nauseam) .........."

And at my age many of the "women" are still girls to me.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
"............(Remember, most of 'our girls', who are in fact women, have
heard it all before ad nauseam) .........."

And at my age many of the "women" are still girls to me.

Hmm ... getting off topic I know ... but if you were to refer to me as a
girl, you would no doubt be doing it from chivalrous intent, suggesting
to me that I was, in your eyes, still young, charming, desirable ... but
I would feel you were dismissing any claim I might feel I had towards
intelligence, knowledge, expertise and other things which come with
maturity.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 24-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Victoria Clare

"David Hill" wrote in
:

"................ Should I tell just her to get off her fat a*** and
get the rake out of the garage? ........."

As it's such a small area why don't YOU get the rake out, it will only
take you about 10 mins at the most.
I am surprised that none of our girls here haven't said anything.

Well, actually I find 'SWMBO' more oldfashioned and offensive.

As I read the post, the OP was the one doing the mowing (as he was asking)
though now I look again I see it doesn't specify. If the OP is mowing, I
don't see why his partner should not be asked to rake (or vice versa).

To get back on topic, even for a tiny lawn I would never buy a cheap flymo:
had one, it was truly appalling, hard work, badly built - never again.

The small wheeled electric mowers are a much better design, lighter,
produce better results and are easier to use: I'd go for one of those
instead.

It is worth going for one with a metal blade rather than the flimsy plastic
blades. It needs replacing less often, is more robust, and can be
sharpened.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 25-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Conrad Edwards

Victoria Clare wrote in message .240.23...
Well, actually I find 'SWMBO' more oldfashioned and offensive.

As I read the post, the OP was the one doing the mowing (as he was asking)
though now I look again I see it doesn't specify. If the OP is mowing, I
don't see why his partner should not be asked to rake (or vice versa).

I didn't mean to offend, merely to add a little humour.
My main job is cutting the hedges which takes a good few hours all in.
Either of us can do the mowing, and, to be honest, the raking takes
longer than the mowing.
We bit the bullet and bought the B&Q own brand.

The JCBs aren't out for another few weeks yet.
Side by side with the Flymos the B&Q is about twice as high, though
only slightly greater grass collector (34l vs 30l). The Flymos, IMHO,
have very thin handles and just look easily bent.
We discounted the smaller motor Flymos as they appear
underpowered...bigger, better, harder, faster is my motto for power
tools!
The B&Q has a three year warranty...don't know about Flymo.
My wife doesn't like red!

The only drawback of the B&Q is the weight..it may be a hover, but
it's not one you can swish side to side...more of a push forward, pull
back action.
Old 26-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Nick Wagg

"Conrad Edwards" wrote in message
om...

The only drawback of the B&Q is the weight..it may be a hover, but
it's not one you can swish side to side...more of a push forward, pull
back action.

There is a sticker on my Flymo to remind the user that best results
are achieved only when (s)he mows forward in a straight line.
--
Nick Wagg

flymo hover compact 330 eddyjack United Kingdom 1 06-05-2010 03:31 PM
hover fly after grass pollen paul[_2_] Garden Photos 0 22-08-2009 02:13 PM
Hover flies. soup[_2_] United Kingdom 10 16-08-2009 04:09 PM
Flymo Hover Comact 350 motor Fatboy40 United Kingdom 1 13-08-2007 06:59 PM
A lot less bother with a hover.. ha ha ha Arklay United Kingdom 0 29-01-2004 04:02 AM