Old 20-08-2007, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Phalenopsis Orchid

My orchid did not bloom for 3 years. I learned a trick with Aluminum Foil
and a piece of card board. I noticed my plant would turn towards the light
and I had to constantly turn it around, trying to keep it upright. So I
tried taping a piece of card board with aluminum foil on it and it worked
better than I thought. My orchid started blooming! It's been blooming since
April and hasn't stopped yet. Now the leaves on the bottom are turning
yellow and some of the stalks are growing leaves with roots. What do I do
now? Do I re-pot the orchid? Do I snip off the new growth and pot it?
Please help me because I am a novice to orchids and I really love mine and
don't want to end up killing it.

Old 21-08-2007, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cabonilla" wrote ...
My orchid did not bloom for 3 years. I learned a trick with Aluminum Foil
and a piece of card board. I noticed my plant would turn towards the
light
and I had to constantly turn it around, trying to keep it upright. So I
tried taping a piece of card board with aluminum foil on it and it worked
better than I thought. My orchid started blooming! It's been blooming
since
April and hasn't stopped yet. Now the leaves on the bottom are turning
yellow and some of the stalks are growing leaves with roots. What do I do
now? Do I re-pot the orchid? Do I snip off the new growth and pot it?
Please help me because I am a novice to orchids and I really love mine and
don't want to end up killing it.

After 3 years or so it probably does need repotting although with those
Orchids most of the roots are probably outside the pot anyway. You need to
get the correct type of compost, very open and free draining, perhaps a trip
to an orchid nursery might be worth the effort, don't use too big a pot.
Small plantlets growing on the flowering stem often happens with Phals, pot
them up when they have made good root growth and if you can bend the flower
spike over so they root whilst still attached to the mother plant so much
the better.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-08-2007, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Great I will do that. Thank you!!

Bob Hobden wrote:
My orchid did not bloom for 3 years. I learned a trick with Aluminum Foil
and a piece of card board. I noticed my plant would turn towards the

[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
Please help me because I am a novice to orchids and I really love mine and
don't want to end up killing it.

After 3 years or so it probably does need repotting although with those
Orchids most of the roots are probably outside the pot anyway. You need to
get the correct type of compost, very open and free draining, perhaps a trip
to an orchid nursery might be worth the effort, don't use too big a pot.
Small plantlets growing on the flowering stem often happens with Phals, pot
them up when they have made good root growth and if you can bend the flower
spike over so they root whilst still attached to the mother plant so much
the better.

Phalenopsis orchid Sacha[_11_] United Kingdom 47 31-08-2014 02:22 PM
Phalenopsis propagating boothbay Orchids 3 25-05-2005 10:53 PM
Phalenopsis orchids Wishy13764 Gardening 3 19-11-2004 10:54 PM
phalenopsis agnatha3141 Orchids 4 18-11-2003 01:45 AM
Question about Phalenopsis Breeders Bacchae Orchids 7 31-03-2003 02:08 PM