Old 26-08-2007, 09:52 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Default muckheap revisited

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 09:41:42 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

In the Horse and Hound , 23 Aug. there is a interesting answer to a readers
question about the storage and disposal of horse muck. it tells me that
manure from horses kept privately within the curtilage of a residential
property is classified as household waste, does that mean I can fill my
wheelie bin and put it out for the bin man to take away :-)))

kate

I cant understand why horse pooh is such a problem to shift, surely
the gardeners and farmers could use it in abundance, I even hear an
incinerator company are using it for energy!

So what's going on, or is it we just don't have the totters any more
to collect it?

I smell a business opportunity. I wonder how much a tonne it would
fetch in the right place!

I'm off to buy a lorry on Autotrader.........

--
crossposted to my friends for considered response.
Old 26-08-2007, 10:09 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

wrote:

In the Horse and Hound , 23 Aug. there is a interesting answer to a
readers
question about the storage and disposal of horse muck. it tells me that
manure from horses kept privately within the curtilage of a residential
property is classified as household waste, does that mean I can fill my
wheelie bin and put it out for the bin man to take away :-)))

kate

I cant understand why horse pooh is such a problem to shift, surely
the gardeners and farmers could use it in abundance, I even hear an
incinerator company are using it for energy!

So what's going on, or is it we just don't have the totters any more
to collect it?

I smell a business opportunity. I wonder how much a tonne it would
fetch in the right place!

I'm off to buy a lorry on Autotrader.........

I have two daughters who have had horses, one of them breeding Arabs.

Horses are kept in fields and stables which are 'usually' away from lots of
houses and gardens.

Horses in stables and even horses which have 'shelters' have to be mucked
out on a daily basis.

Therefore the muck heap grows, and grows, and GROWS faster than the 'local'
houses can use it.

Yes by all means get a truck from Autotrader, but whilst you will have a
ready supply of horse muck on a daily basis, can you get rid of it on a
daily basis? I doubt it AND, when it comes straight from the stable/shelter,
it is VERY VERY strawy and needs to stand for quite some time for it to be
'attractive' for the gardener.

A serious problem for horse keepers which they would love you to solve. The
more the horses, the more the problem. Fortunately the daughter who bred
Arabs had plenty of land for the muck heap to ........... mature :-) and
reduce in size.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

Old 26-08-2007, 10:36 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:09:52 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Well if they can make a living delivering milk, spuds, cement, gravel,
topsoil etc door to door, than why not well rotted dung?

AND, when it comes straight from the stable/shelter,
it is VERY VERY strawy and needs to stand for quite some time for it to be
'attractive' for the gardener.

I am aware of that and presumably a large field or two could suffice,
say in cycles?

A serious problem for horse keepers which they would love you to solve. The
more the horses, the more the problem. Fortunately the daughter who bred
Arabs had plenty of land for the muck heap to ........... mature :-) and
reduce in size.

Mike

I presume there are restrictions on dung heaps by regulation, so I
also presume they would be allowed on an industrial scale, by
regulation. If so I wonder what they would be?
Old 26-08-2007, 11:02 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Gloria" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:09:52 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

J. Arthur Bowyer's Blended Farmyard Manure "Organic Compost" seems as if it
is there already :-)

We bought bags of the stuff from our local Garden Centre.

Anyone who has too much horse muck might like to get in touch with them :-))

BTW, I seem to remember something about muck heaps 'leaching' into the water
table and must be on concrete?? (Not too sure on the facts of that)

Old 26-08-2007, 11:10 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:02:26 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

How much and what weight, and how often would you need to buy it?

Anyone who has too much horse muck might like to get in touch with them :-))

You trying to put me out of business before I even start! I'm used to
dealing with so much bullshit in these groups, I may as well earn a
living dealing with some.

BTW, I seem to remember something about muck heaps 'leaching' into the water
table and must be on concrete?? (Not too sure on the facts of that)

That's what I meant about the regulations. Worse, I seem to recall
it's illegal now to store it in fields for that very reason, obviously
unregulated.

Old 26-08-2007, 11:23 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

J. Arthur Bowyer's Blended Farmyard Manure "Organic Compost" seems as if
it
is there already :-)

We bought bags of the stuff from our local Garden Centre.

How much

£3.25

and what weight,

50 Litres

and how often would you need to buy it?

How long is a piece of string? We used it on an Asparagus bed and as a mulch

Anyone who has too much horse muck might like to get in touch with them
:-))

You trying to put me out of business before I even start! I'm used to
dealing with so much bullshit in these groups, I may as well earn a
living dealing with some.

There's enough from some on here to make a living if you could harvest and
market it ;-) And if some thought you were making money out of it, then it
WOULD go to email ;-) AND stop being cross posted ;-)

BTW, I seem to remember something about muck heaps 'leaching' into the
water
table and must be on concrete?? (Not too sure on the facts of that)

That's what I meant about the regulations. Worse, I seem to recall
it's illegal now to store it in fields for that very reason, obviously
unregulated.

Rings bells somewhere.

Old 26-08-2007, 11:48 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:23:54 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

J. Arthur Bowyer's Blended Farmyard Manure "Organic Compost" seems as if
it
is there already :-)

We bought bags of the stuff from our local Garden Centre.

How much

£3.25

and what weight,

50 Litres

Pretty expensive then considering!

and how often would you need to buy it?

How long is a piece of string? We used it on an Asparagus bed and as a mulch

How often would you need to use it on there? ish!

Anyone who has too much horse muck might like to get in touch with them
:-))

You trying to put me out of business before I even start! I'm used to
dealing with so much bullshit in these groups, I may as well earn a
living dealing with some.

There's enough from some on here to make a living if you could harvest and
market it ;-) And if some thought you were making money out of it, then it
WOULD go to email ;-) AND stop being cross posted ;-)

My empire wouldn't stretch to a horse and cart fleet, I wonder if
Eddie Stobart might be interested.

A good opportunity for the Eastern Europeans flooding the country no
doubt. My interest is purely ECO friendly.

Old 26-08-2007, 01:10 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

Here we are surounded by people keeping horses, but it is like gold, I
havn't been able to get any now for 4 years, it sells at 50p a bag and
is ordered months in advance.
I could happily use 1`0 to 20 tons a year, but not at 50p a bag.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 26-08-2007, 01:40 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On 26/8/07 13:10, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:
snip

Here we are surounded by people keeping horses, but it is like gold, I
havn't been able to get any now for 4 years, it sells at 50p a bag and
is ordered months in advance.
I could happily use 1`0 to 20 tons a year, but not at 50p a bag.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

No sooner do we get it in than it's out the door and fast. We also sell Zoo
Poo and that has improved immensely popular.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-08-2007, 01:50 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:40:53 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 26/8/07 13:10, in article
. com, "Dave Hill"
wrote:
snip

Here we are surounded by people keeping horses, but it is like gold, I
havn't been able to get any now for 4 years, it sells at 50p a bag and
is ordered months in advance.
I could happily use 1`0 to 20 tons a year, but not at 50p a bag.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

No sooner do we get it in than it's out the door and fast. We also sell Zoo
Poo and that has improved immensely popular.

Well there you have it. If so many people are desperate to give it
away, and so many are desperate to buy it, how come it's so hard to
put 2+2 together?

Old 26-08-2007, 02:08 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Gloria" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:40:53 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 26/8/07 13:10, in article
.com, "Dave Hill"
wrote:
snip

Here we are surounded by people keeping horses, but it is like gold, I
havn't been able to get any now for 4 years, it sells at 50p a bag and
is ordered months in advance.
I could happily use 1`0 to 20 tons a year, but not at 50p a bag.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

No sooner do we get it in than it's out the door and fast. We also sell
Zoo
Poo and that has improved immensely popular.

Well there you have it. If so many people are desperate to give it
away, and so many are desperate to buy it, how come it's so hard to
put 2+2 together?

Garden Centres like Sacha's have a 'convenience' shopper who will pop in for
this or pop in for that. That same person will not go out into the horsey
area and pick up one of the same bags on the gateway for 50p. Why? For the
same reason that I don't. The black plastic sack on the farmgate would not
fair too well in the boot of my car, a ready bag of Arthur Bowyer's is clean
to handle and easy to move.

There are two different animals here :-)

The 'serious' gardener/landowner who wants X number of bags, will more than
likely have a Chelsea Taxi or a Land Rover and would chuck anything in there
:-)

I think you have to differentiate between the 'Estate' gardener and the
'Country' gardener. I was the latter when we had our big house in the
country. I am now the former. I only want a few bags of horse muck at a time
and IF you DO set up a round calling on me, then no doubt you will have a
customer. "6 bags in the Spring and 6 in the Autumn please" and as I am well
in with my neighbours, no doubt I could 'spread the word' and drum up some
more custom for you. Interested? :-))) Isle of Wight?

Old 26-08-2007, 02:12 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:08:32 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Gloria" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:40:53 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 26/8/07 13:10, in article
s.com, "Dave Hill"
wrote:
snip

[...]

Exactly, so the middleman needs to collect it from source, store it,
bag it and deliver it. How hard is that?

There are two different animals here :-)

The 'serious' gardener/landowner who wants X number of bags, will more than
likely have a Chelsea Taxi or a Land Rover and would chuck anything in there
:-)

Then they could still collect from the middleman storage facility.

I think you have to differentiate between the 'Estate' gardener and the
'Country' gardener. I was the latter when we had our big house in the
country. I am now the former. I only want a few bags of horse muck at a time
and IF you DO set up a round calling on me, then no doubt you will have a
customer. "6 bags in the Spring and 6 in the Autumn please" and as I am well
in with my neighbours, no doubt I could 'spread the word' and drum up some
more custom for you. Interested? :-))) Isle of Wight?

Sounds like a goldmine to me. Perhaps it's something the now extinct
milkman could have done on his rounds.

Old 26-08-2007, 02:26 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:14:40 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Sounds like a goldmine to me. Perhaps it's something the now extinct
milkman could have done on his rounds.

When do you start?

I'll have to have a chat with Pat to see if he can sort out the
transport, and Webster to rent the land!
Old 26-08-2007, 02:38 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

wrote:

Sounds like a goldmine to me. Perhaps it's something the now extinct
milkman could have done on his rounds.

When do you start?

I'll have to have a chat with Pat to see if he can sort out the
transport, and Webster to rent the land!

Interesting to know what transport for collecting and what transport you
envisage for delivery :-)

Storage and bagging? How do you propose to address these matters?

Your advertising schedule and advertising plans will be very interesting. I
wouldn't imagine there would be much demand for horse muck Christmas Week,
but the horses will still carry on producing your goods ;-)

Very 'interesting' business potential you have there. As they say "Where
there's muck there's money'

Keep us posted. Where did you say you will operate from?