Old 26-08-2007, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Roots growing on flower buds?

I'll try again.

A second flush of fuschia flower buds have appeared. This time there are
root-like protrusions on many of the buds showing (see photo). Anybody
know whether these are actual roots? Can I propogate from these? Why
would this occur when the buds in the first flush were normal?

http://tinyurl.com/39lrwq
Old 26-08-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/8/07 15:35, in article , "Frank
Booth Snr" wrote:

I'll try again.

A second flush of fuschia flower buds have appeared. This time there are
root-like protrusions on many of the buds showing (see photo). Anybody
know whether these are actual roots? Can I propogate from these? Why
would this occur when the buds in the first flush were normal?

http://tinyurl.com/39lrwq

I showed this photo to my husband, Frank, because we have a Fuchsia
greenhouse here and he doesn't recognise this problem at all. He can only
suggest some sort of bug is doing this but not that it's something you can
propagate from. I suggest you contact people who breed Fuchsias and grow
them as for showing, perhaps. This is one potentially helpful site:
http://www.fuchsiaclark.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-08-2007, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A second flush of fuschia flower buds have appeared. This time there are
root-like protrusions on many of the buds showing (see photo). Anybody
know whether these are actual roots? Can I propogate from these? Why
would this occur when the buds in the first flush were normal?

Frank - I don't think that is a root. I have had something similar - its
when a petal becomes confused and is not sure if its a petal or a leaf. I
have had a petal, where part was green and part was red. The red part can
try to produce pointed leaf tips and consequently give all sorts of funny
shapes. The real test is to examine the petal closely. I suspect that the
pointed bit is just a bit of mis-shapen petal
Peter.

Old 27-08-2007, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Peter's more or less right. Those protrusions on the sepals do occur
from time to time with some hybrids and species more prone to it than
others. A slight 'hiccup' in the growing conditions (cold nights,
excessive rainfall etc.) during the early formation of the flower buds
can lead to these or in more extreme cases, actual spurs or even fully
cleft sepals. Although superficially root-like at first glance, these
are aberrations of sepal development and not roots.

Old 27-08-2007, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Poole wrote:
Peter's more or less right. Those protrusions on the sepals do occur
from time to time with some hybrids and species more prone to it than
others. A slight 'hiccup' in the growing conditions (cold nights,
excessive rainfall etc.) during the early formation of the flower buds
can lead to these or in more extreme cases, actual spurs or even fully
cleft sepals. Although superficially root-like at first glance, these
are aberrations of sepal development and not roots.

Well all the years I've grown fuschias I've not seen this before. But
then there was a lot of rain while the old flowers finished and the new
buds were developing.

I have immersed one of the affected buds in a pot of soil, so I'll be
curious to see whether I get a new plant from this.

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Buds! Buds! NTANTIQUES Roses 21 03-02-2011 04:48 PM
Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
Roots on flower buds? Frank Booth Snr United Kingdom 0 25-08-2007 12:56 AM