Old 30-08-2007, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gifts for gardeners

Just found this: http://www.sugarbowlgifts.com/index.cfm

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-08-2007, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Just found this: http://www.sugarbowlgifts.com/index.cfm

A watering can radio? I go out in the garden for peace and quiet, well
except for bird song, whatever would a gardener need a watering can
radio for?
Old 30-08-2007, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Aug, 15:31, Broadback wrote:
A watering can radio? I go out in the garden for peace and quiet, well
except for bird song, whatever would a gardener need a watering can
radio for?

I've never ever heard a radio on our allotments. Isn't this
interesting?! This kind of gifts are usually devised by people who
don't garden. It reminds me, strangely, of this kid who came on urg
with a questionaire with some funny ideas, notably a calculator giving
temperatures and probably making cappucino ...! Also he did mention a
radio/recorder to record our 'garden notes' ... ! Honestly ...

Old 30-08-2007, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 30, 3:31 pm, Broadback wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Just found this:http://www.sugarbowlgifts.com/index.cfm

A watering can radio? I go out in the garden for peace and quiet, well
except for bird song, whatever would a gardener need a watering can
radio for?

You'd know I'm not the genuine article. I actually quite like
listening to the radio while gardening.
The week end we brought in brand new topsoil into our newly acquired
and only just de-concreted garden - a week end of back breaking work -
I remember listening to a re-run on Irish radio of a couple of
episodes of Garrison Keeler's Prairie Companion - not any old radio
programme, mind you :-) - and it sure helped with the wheelbarrow
wielding.

Cat(h)

Old 30-08-2007, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
Just found this: http://www.sugarbowlgifts.com/index.cfm

A watering can radio? I go out in the garden for peace and quiet, well
except for bird song, whatever would a gardener need a watering can radio
for?

my mother often gardens whilst listening to ball by ball comentary of the
cricket :-(

Old 30-08-2007, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 Aug, 15:54, "Cat(h)" wrote:
You'd know I'm not the genuine article. I actually quite like
listening to the radio while gardening.
The week end we brought in brand new topsoil into our newly acquired
and only just de-concreted garden - a week end of back breaking work -
I remember listening to a re-run on Irish radio of a couple of
episodes of Garrison Keeler's Prairie Companion - not any old radio
programme, mind you :-) - and it sure helped with the wheelbarrow
wielding.

My other half's like you - for backbreaking work he listen to story cd
- atm he's into Peter Akroyd 'The lambs of London' for a bit of a
decking job in the back yard ... but he uses headphones, I'm glad to
add.

Old 30-08-2007, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/07 15:31, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Just found this:
http://www.sugarbowlgifts.com/index.cfm

A watering can radio? I go out in the garden for peace and quiet, well
except for bird song, whatever would a gardener need a watering can
radio for?

Honestly! You picked on the one thing you *wouldn't* like. ;-) I quite
agree and if you get The Garden you'll see a small article on questions
asked of a BBC producer (of Chelsea coverage I think) as to why they always
play that madly irritating music in the background when people are speaking.
But I like the Simon Drew stuff for small presents - his weird humour makes
me giggle.

Old 30-08-2007, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/07 15:54, in article
, "Cat(h)"

Sacha wrote:
Just found this:
http://www.sugarbowlgifts.com/index.cfm

A watering can radio? I go out in the garden for peace and quiet, well
except for bird song, whatever would a gardener need a watering can
radio for?

You'd know I'm not the genuine article. I actually quite like
listening to the radio while gardening.
The week end we brought in brand new topsoil into our newly acquired
and only just de-concreted garden - a week end of back breaking work -
I remember listening to a re-run on Irish radio of a couple of
episodes of Garrison Keeler's Prairie Companion - not any old radio
programme, mind you :-) - and it sure helped with the wheelbarrow
wielding.

Cat(h)

Oh, I've got some of his tapes - that voice is wonderful! You could lay it
on an open wound.

Old 30-08-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 30, 4:16 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 30/8/07 15:54, in article
m, "Cat(h)"

Sacha wrote:
Just found this:http://www.sugarbowlgifts.com/index.cfm

A watering can radio? I go out in the garden for peace and quiet, well
except for bird song, whatever would a gardener need a watering can
radio for?

You'd know I'm not the genuine article. I actually quite like
listening to the radio while gardening.
The week end we brought in brand new topsoil into our newly acquired
and only just de-concreted garden - a week end of back breaking work -
I remember listening to a re-run on Irish radio of a couple of
episodes of Garrison Keeler's Prairie Companion - not any old radio
programme, mind you :-) - and it sure helped with the wheelbarrow
wielding.

Cat(h)

Oh, I've got some of his tapes - that voice is wonderful! You could lay it
on an open wound.

:-) I like it.

The voice, the stories, everything... That one had to do with the
ladies of the Church choir who had changed their usual brand of coffee
for some fair-trade one... which had rather more of a kick in it. You
had to be there. And I too, use headphones - I like the radio, but
not noise pollution.

Cat(h)

Old 30-08-2007, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/07 16:25, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Aug 30, 4:16 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 30/8/07 15:54, in article
m, "Cat(h)"

Sacha wrote:
[...]

I never listen to the radio except in the car. I like silence and won't go
to pubs or restaurants that have loud music playing. My husbands wears
earphones to listen to a little radio when he's watering the greenhouses
early in the morning and then comes into breakfast to tell me the latest
Wogan Witticism. ;-) You've reminded me to put some of the GK tapes into
the car, though, along with the collection of This Sceptred Isle that I was
given last Christmas and haven't even started on yet - I'm going to have to
do a lot of driving. ;-)

Old 30-08-2007, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:13:13 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Just found this:
http://www.sugarbowlgifts.com/index.cfm

A watering can radio? I go out in the garden for peace and quiet, well
except for bird song, whatever would a gardener need a watering can
radio for?

Honestly! You picked on the one thing you *wouldn't* like. ;-) I quite
agree and if you get The Garden you'll see a small article on questions
asked of a BBC producer (of Chelsea coverage I think) as to why they always
play that madly irritating music in the background when people are speaking.
But I like the Simon Drew stuff for small presents - his weird humour makes
me giggle.

Oh I'm a Simon Drew fan as well! I did like the Gardening Angelg

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 30-08-2007, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/8/07 18:32, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:13:13 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 30/8/07 15:31, in article
, "Broadback"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Just found this:
http://www.sugarbowlgifts.com/index.cfm

A watering can radio? I go out in the garden for peace and quiet, well
except for bird song, whatever would a gardener need a watering can
radio for?

Honestly! You picked on the one thing you *wouldn't* like. ;-) I quite
agree and if you get The Garden you'll see a small article on questions
asked of a BBC producer (of Chelsea coverage I think) as to why they always
play that madly irritating music in the background when people are speaking.
But I like the Simon Drew stuff for small presents - his weird humour makes
me giggle.

Oh I'm a Simon Drew fan as well! I did like the Gardening Angelg

He has a shop/gallery in Dartmouth - he lives in Dartmouth. I have the
apron with a jar of Marmite on it which is actually labelled "Middle Aged
Spread' and am very fond of "Shepherd Spy" and "Cod moving in mysterious
ways" as a card for some of my more 'correct' acquaintances. ;-) And as for
"I'm on the train at the moment" or "Teenagers" ..... I have to stop.
Impossible to have a favourite!