Old 06-09-2007, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default There's a rat in the compost ...

On 6 Sep, 13:28, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
I would really like a dog but it wouldn't be fair. They need a lot of
looking after, and sadly they are not really welcome in food factories, so I
wouldn't be able to go to work.
Hm, maybe I see a plan ...

Food factory ...?! I see a plan indeed, but with you when is there not
a plan, huh?! Get yourself a narrow dog g

Old 06-09-2007, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 6 Sep, 12:14, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
It's true though - like humans and rats and all other animal life we are
vectors for disease. I was making a point that dogs are the same as rats
in
that respect.

True indeed. But there's a little difference - I know where my dogs
have been, not sure about the rats. But I understand your point.

Nevertheless, although I've liked some special dogs I'm not a dog lover,
that doesn't make me unusual. And there's nothing missing in my life -
it's
too full already :-)

Well, you are a err... 'woman-who-should-have-a-dog'. I mean, I've
*met* you in real life and I know these things and it's wrong if you
don't. Go and get a dog please!!! LOL!!

I'll stick with the hens!

Mary

Old 06-09-2007, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 6 Sep, 09:45, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Dogs can carry disease ...

I would have never ever thought you'd think like this about dogs. How
very strange. I find people who don't like nor understand dogs have
something missing in their life.

No, people like us often have cats who we adore and praise. And cats kill
rats, which is what our cats do.

We have an elderly open compost heap (+30 yrs) which we mine from below, and
in our rural town, lots of broken pipes, old houses, allotments, neglected
gardens, all of which encourage rats. Our cats deal with the problem in our
garden, but sadly we can't put them up the allotment, where we've lost 40+
ears of corn to rats. I am considering inventing a corn-cob-protection
device, as a sort of condom for corn cobs, but it would probably be too
expensive to produce on a large scale.

someone

Old 07-09-2007, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"someone" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 6 Sep, 09:45, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Dogs can carry disease ...

I would have never ever thought you'd think like this about dogs. How
very strange. I find people who don't like nor understand dogs have
something missing in their life.

No, people like us often have cats who we adore and praise. And cats kill
rats, which is what our cats do.

Our cat used to do that too but I wouldn't want another, we might not last
another 21 years!

Mary

Old 07-09-2007, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , CWatters
writes
Try a Green Joanna. No way in for the rats.

http://www.recycleforcornwall.org.uk.../greenjohanna/

Good idea but it doesn't say how big it is.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph