Old 05-09-2007, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clementine? satsuma?

Hi
Can anyone help us to come to the right conclusion? We call large
Clementines in South Africa a "Naartjie" pronounced Narchee.They are
more like an Orange in size but with a looser peel. are they the same
as he ones we used to get in the UK around Xmas time called
Clementines. They were much smaller and not as sweet. I'm told they
are also called Satsuma's. I always thought that Satsumas were a
variety of Plum. I have also bought Plums called Satsuma Plums and
they looked like a Plum not a Clementine or a Naartjie. I'm very
confused as to what is the correct name, or if all these names are in
fact correct. Are they all the same fruit? with just different names
from different places.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/9/07 08:08, in article
, "
wrote:

Hi
Can anyone help us to come to the right conclusion? We call large
Clementines in South Africa a "Naartjie" pronounced Narchee.They are
more like an Orange in size but with a looser peel. are they the same
as he ones we used to get in the UK around Xmas time called
Clementines. They were much smaller and not as sweet. I'm told they
are also called Satsuma's. I always thought that Satsumas were a
variety of Plum. I have also bought Plums called Satsuma Plums and
they looked like a Plum not a Clementine or a Naartjie. I'm very
confused as to what is the correct name, or if all these names are in
fact correct. Are they all the same fruit? with just different names
from different places.

I think the major difference is that satsumas have pips and clementines
haven't. They're small, not as big as ordinary oranges and yes, the peel is
much looser. Satsumas seem to show up mainly round Christmas time in UK.
I found this on a search
"The Tangerine is a cross between the Mandarin orange and the bitter orange,
and is named for the main mandarin shipment port of Tangier, Morocco. Today,
tangerines are grown mainly in the southeastern United States.
Among the varieties of Tangerine are the Japanese Satsuma, a small, sweet,
and mostly seedless variety. The Clementine, grown in Europe, North Africa,
and Israel, is sold in markets under its own name. Tangerines are difficult
to distinguish from clementines as both are mandarin*bitter orange hybrids;
the main difference is that clementines are often seedless. "
Apparently the Satsuma plum is indeed a Prunus and is a Japanese variety.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk