Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pineapple anyone?

In Country Life I have just read that, in the 18th century, pineapples were
very highly prized as a high status fruit to offer one's guests. This is
one of the reasons they're the symbol of welcome as shown in stone
pineapples on so many gateposts. However, back then one fruit could cost
the equivalent of £5000 in today's money!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

In Country Life I have just read that, in the 18th century,
pineapples were very highly prized as a high status fruit to offer
one's guests. This is one of the reasons they're the symbol of
welcome as shown in stone pineapples on so many gateposts. However,
back then one fruit could cost the equivalent of £5000 in today's
money!

I presume that included the delivery charge

:-)

Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

In Country Life I have just read that, in the 18th century,
pineapples were very highly prized as a high status fruit to offer
one's guests. This is one of the reasons they're the symbol of
welcome as shown in stone pineapples on so many gateposts. However,
back then one fruit could cost the equivalent of £5000 in today's
money!

I presume that included the delivery charge

:-)

They were delivered fresh and cut up when we were on the beach in the
Caribbean on our last cruise in the Spring :-))

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 5/10/07 10:54, in article , "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:

, I, Marvo, say :

In Country Life I have just read that, in the 18th century,
pineapples were very highly prized as a high status fruit to offer
one's guests. This is one of the reasons they're the symbol of
welcome as shown in stone pineapples on so many gateposts. However,
back then one fruit could cost the equivalent of £5000 in today's
money!

I presume that included the delivery charge

:-)

From garden to table? I would think so. ;-) The article was about the
restoring of the Pinery at Tatton Park.
http://www.tattonpark.org.uk/Attract...lasshouses.htm
--

There is a "pineapple pit" at the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall, built
around 1720, and still going with the original pineapples! It is described

http://www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/ho...ns/heligan.htm

someone

Old 05-10-2007, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"someone" writes:

| There is a "pineapple pit" at the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall, built
| around 1720, and still going with the original pineapples!

Er, no. The Web site says that it is the same SPECIES, which is not
all that surprising, but the plant will have died out at least once.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/10/07 21:00, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 5/10/07 10:54, in article , "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:

, I, Marvo, say :

In Country Life I have just read that, in the 18th century,
pineapples were very highly prized as a high status fruit to offer
one's guests. This is one of the reasons they're the symbol of
welcome as shown in stone pineapples on so many gateposts. However,
back then one fruit could cost the equivalent of £5000 in today's
money!

I presume that included the delivery charge

:-)

From garden to table? I would think so. ;-) The article was about the
restoring of the Pinery at Tatton Park.
http://www.tattonpark.org.uk/Attract...lasshouses.htm
--

There is a "pineapple pit" at the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall, built
around 1720, and still going with the original pineapples! It is described
as the only working Georgian pineapple pit in Europe.

http://www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/ho...ns/heligan.htm

someone

I've seen that one but they're entirely different. The TP one appears to be
some huge glass house while the Heligan one is on a smaller scale. The two
houses filled different roles on the social ladder would be my guess.
Heligan's pineapple house is one storey, almost a lean-to affair, from what
I recall. I'm only guessing but until Tatton Park's Pinery was restored and
reopened this year, Heligan may well have been the only one still working
*at that time*.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"someone" writes:

| There is a "pineapple pit" at the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall,
built
| around 1720, and still going with the original pineapples!

Er, no. The Web site says that it is the same SPECIES, which is not
all that surprising, but the plant will have died out at least once.

Yes, sorry, I should have said species.

someone

Old 06-10-2007, 03:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
In Country Life I have just read that, in the 18th century, pineapples
were
very highly prized as a high status fruit to offer one's guests. This is
one of the reasons they're the symbol of welcome as shown in stone
pineapples on so many gateposts.

Well that is interesting. I've often wondered about those gateposts. I had
wondered if it was to do with owning of estates in the Windies.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

In Country Life I have just read that, in the 18th century,
pineapples were very highly prized as a high status fruit to offer
one's guests. This is one of the reasons they're the symbol of
welcome as shown in stone pineapples on so many gateposts. However,
back then one fruit could cost the equivalent of £5000 in today's
money!

I presume that included the delivery charge
:-)

it was one of James Onedin's less successful cargo's ................
Jenny

My Pineapple Sage is Blooming!!! Mark Anderson Gardening 12 07-11-2003 09:42 PM
Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) hhhouse Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
Pineapple James Mayer Edible Gardening 0 17-09-2003 01:42 AM
Pineapple? JNJ Gardening 15 12-04-2003 02:32 AM
Is pineapple a fruit? Ted Shoemaker Gardening 18 14-03-2003 09:56 PM