Old 05-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Mark Anderson

Default My Pineapple Sage is Blooming!!!

After perusing the web about Pineapple Sage, many said it usually doesn't
bloom in Zone 5 due to its late blooming date. Well, here in Chicago
we've been having an extended Indian summer (it was 70F yesterday). A
couple of days ago my Pineapple sage started to bloom and here's proof.
:-)

http://www.brandylion.com/images/pineapple-sage4.jpg

Old 05-11-2003, 06:22 PM
dstvns

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:56:37 -0600, Mark Anderson
wrote:

After perusing the web about Pineapple Sage, many said it usually doesn't
bloom in Zone 5 due to its late blooming date. Well, here in Chicago
we've been having an extended Indian summer (it was 70F yesterday). A
couple of days ago my Pineapple sage started to bloom and here's proof.

It's very beautiful. I get one every year and every year it booms. I
just wish it bloomed in time for the hummers. It always waits until
October or November to bloom around here, and by then it's too late
for hummers and too big to bring indoors for over-wintering (mine is
currently 5 feet tall).

Is there any way I can cut it down a few feet and re-pot indoors?

Thanks,
Dan
nw NJ

Old 05-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Sue

Pineapple Sage is Salvia elegans, native to Mexico. Hardy to zone 9, MAYBE
8b... but all is not lost......

Like many of the square-stemmed tender perennials, it strikes pretty handily
from cuttings either in water or loose moist potting mix, you can take
cuttings now and overwinter the resulting plants.

I'd be safe and try cuttings from various stages of growth.

How glorious would it be to have blooming plants of Pineapple Sage ready to
set out when the hummers return???

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week207.shtml

Breeze ( Sue Burnham)

Old 05-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Sue

is there but one single base stem in your container or are there more than
one?

Any chance of cutting back and dividing, bringing in a smaller pot?

LOL I've grown this one before but not seen it in the greenhouse trade here
recently ( or maybe passed it over in favor of something else that caught
my eye). IIR its pretty enthusiastic given enough winter light.

--
Breeze ( Sue Burnham)

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
In article says...
It's very beautiful. I get one every year and every year it booms. I
just wish it bloomed in time for the hummers. It always waits until
October or November to bloom around here, and by then it's too late
for hummers and too big to bring indoors for over-wintering (mine is
currently 5 feet tall).

Is there any way I can cut it down a few feet and re-pot indoors?

I don't know. Mine is 4 foot tall and it's in a container that can't be
taken inside. I was hoping it would be able to overwinter outside but
now I'm not sure. It would be nice if it started off next year at the
size it's at now.

Old 05-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Pen

Yup, trim it down but make sure you have a lot of sun in the house.
Also keep an eye out for white flies and spider mites. I find it
easier to manage to root several cuttings for indoors.

For hummers, you might want to get a Salvia greggii, it blooms
earlier. The leaves are edible but more herbal, less fruity.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:31:34 -0500, "Sue"
wrote:

Like many of the square-stemmed tender perennials, it strikes pretty handily
from cuttings either in water or loose moist potting mix, you can take
cuttings now and overwinter the resulting plants.

I'd be safe and try cuttings from various stages of growth.

I'm a pretty casual cutting-starter -- plop it in a clean, small glass
of water on the kitchen windowsill, and wait for something to happen.
Success rate is probably close to 65%. I snipped a 5" stem of some
purple-leafed sage from next door (with permission), stripped off the
lower leaves, and put it in The Glass. And it went all
fuzzy/moldy/icky. The neighbor recently pruned this plant way back,
and I have a big branch in a holding pattern in a larger cup of water,
intending to try and root some more cuttings when I get a round tuit.
Any hints for success?
Old 06-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Sue

HI Frogleg
yep, fuzzy, moldy icky happens to me too, so don't think I'm any whiz LOL.
Not every cutting strikes!

Hints and gleanings------

Leave the cutting out of water for several hours to let the stem seal.

cleanliness is key, a dip in a very mild bleach solution can stave off the
bacteria. Change the water every day or 2 and wash the glass in hot soapy
water at the time.

No direct sun, use colored/tinted glass

dissolve a teensy bit of rooting hormone powder in the water, or use floral
preservative.

Watch the cut end of the stems very carefully and recut if it looks soft
and slimy, change the water, wash the glass.

Hedge your bets, try hormone powder ( Rootone or the like) and stick
cuttings in FRESH potting mix in a 3.5 inch pot, cover with a plastic bag
and keep warm ( top of fridge unless you have a cat who objects).

Use both methods at the same time ( take lots of cuttings).

Hard woody stems of tender plants don't root well, neither do soft new
growth ( and this is a broad generalization!) Try 'em all, see what works.

I believe the hormone that stimulates rooting is an auxin ( ???) and
depending on the plant, the hormone may be more plentiful at some times of
growth than others.

Fer instance, I do NOT have good luck with late fall cuttings of
Pelargonium ( geranium). If I want to bring in plants I've learned to just
hack them back to stubs and let them grow out.

Everything is worth a shot, more than once.

best o luck

Breeze

Old 06-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Pen" wrote in message
om...
Yup, trim it down but make sure you have a lot of sun in the house.
Also keep an eye out for white flies and spider mites. I find it
easier to manage to root several cuttings for indoors.

For hummers, you might want to get a Salvia greggii, it blooms
earlier. The leaves are edible but more herbal, less fruity.

I had a honeydew melon salvia that was a wonderful hummingbird magnet -
bloomed early and stayed in bloom constantly until a recent string of VERY
cold nights did it in. I was going to take cuttings, but the cold weather
beat me to it. Bought it as a 4" pot for a couple of bucks and it was about
3-4 feet across when the cold got it, so it won't break the bank to replace
it next season. I DID manage to take cuttings of all my coleus before the
cold hit, though. Today I need to survey the damage done to scented
gernaiums - they are in a more protected spot, but they are looking a little
cold stressed and I need to bring them in.

Old 06-11-2003, 05:02 PM
MLEBLANCA

For hummers, you might want to get a Salvia greggii, it blooms
earlier. The leaves are edible but more herbal, less fruity.

I had a honeydew melon salvia that was a wonderful hummingbird magnet -

oh, speaking of salvia, I got a new one Monday. It's a microphylla and the
top of the flower is white, and the two bottom lips are bright cherry red.
It's called 'Hot Lips' Very striking!
Hummers also love 'Lady in Red' a tender perennial, but its still blooming
like crazy here.
Emilie
NorCal

Old 07-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Pen

Yum.... honeydew sage. Mmm... watermelon sage. 8P~~ Can't wait
for next year!

[IMG] code is On

how hardy is pineapple sage bill United Kingdom 6 26-11-2005 01:21 PM
pineapple sage Raleighgirl North Carolina 4 09-08-2004 01:19 PM
Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) hhhouse Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
Pineapple? JNJ Gardening 15 12-04-2003 02:32 AM
Is pineapple a fruit? Ted Shoemaker Gardening 18 14-03-2003 09:56 PM