Old 13-10-2007, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BIC BIC is offline

Default Name the seed

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/nametheseed.htm

what is this

tree is outside a local shop in Hampshire UK

dj

Old 13-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Bracknell

Platinus x hispanica would be my guess.
Old 13-10-2007, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 13, 2:57 pm, "BIC" wrote:
http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/nametheseed.htm

what is this

tree is outside a local shop in Hampshire UK

dj

Plane (Platanus).

Des

Old 13-10-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/07 14:57, in article , "BIC"
wrote:

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/nametheseed.htm

what is this

tree is outside a local shop in Hampshire UK

dj

A plane tree, I'd say - Acer platanus.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-10-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
wrote:

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/nametheseed.htm

what is this

tree is outside a local shop in Hampshire UK

dj

A plane tree, I'd say - Acer platanus.

There is an Acer plantanoides (Norway Maple) and an Acer pseudoplatanus
(Sycamore, known as Plane in Scotland), and the leaves of the former
even look like those of the Plane, but both maples have the usual maple
type fruit.

Planes and Maples are not closely related. Planes are allied with
Proteas and Lotuses in one of the basal lineages of the eudicots, and
Maples are Malvids, and belong to the same order as citrus, mahogany,
horse chestnut and poison ivy, inter alia.

There's not much living that looks much like a Plane, but the group was
more diverse in the geological past.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 14-10-2007, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Anne Jackson
writes
The message from Stewart Robert Hinsley
contains these words:

There is an Acer plantanoides (Norway Maple) and an Acer pseudoplatanus
(Sycamore, known as Plane in Scotland),

It is? First I've ever heard of it, but then I've only lived in Scotland
for sixty-five years...

I must admit that I always knew it as Sycamore, even during the 15+
years I lived in Scotland, but Mitchell, for example, gives Plane.

Some online citations

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6UEJB9
http://www.the-tree.org.uk/BritishTr.../sycamorec.htm
http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/...arch_more_info.
htm?PageID=2263&bool=0&more_info=Site&r=Orkney+Isl es&s=
http://www.corstorphine-trust.ukgo.c...ycamoreTree.ht
ml
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=plane

I'm open to the possibility that plane as a term for sycamore is dying
out (compare the replacement of mountain ash by rowan; you hardly see
the former nowadays, but it was the name I knew as a child.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-10-2007, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| I must admit that I always knew it as Sycamore, even during the 15+
| years I lived in Scotland, but Mitchell, for example, gives Plane.

Well, there is more variation between Scottish dialects than there is
between Edinburgh and London 'establishment English'!

| I'm open to the possibility that plane as a term for sycamore is dying
| out (compare the replacement of mountain ash by rowan; you hardly see
| the former nowadays, but it was the name I knew as a child.)

And I (and that's dying out, too). And there are lots of other
examples.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-10-2007, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Anne Jackson
writes
The message from Stewart Robert Hinsley
contains these words:

There is an Acer plantanoides (Norway Maple) and an Acer pseudoplatanus
(Sycamore, known as Plane in Scotland),

It is? First I've ever heard of it, but then I've only lived in Scotland
for sixty-five years...

I must admit that I always knew it as Sycamore, even during the 15+
years I lived in Scotland, but Mitchell, for example, gives Plane.

But isn't sycamore a different variation of maple and not the same as
plane?

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 14-10-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Rance
writes
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Anne Jackson
writes
The message from Stewart Robert Hinsley
contains these words:

There is an Acer plantanoides (Norway Maple) and an Acer pseudoplatanus
(Sycamore, known as Plane in Scotland),

It is? First I've ever heard of it, but then I've only lived in Scotland
for sixty-five years...

I must admit that I always knew it as Sycamore, even during the 15+
years I lived in Scotland, but Mitchell, for example, gives Plane.

But isn't sycamore a different variation of maple and not the same as
plane?

David

Sycamore is Ficus sycamorus (in the Bible), Acer pseudoplatanus (in
Britain) or Platanus spp. (In America)

Plane is Platanus spp. (Generally) or Acer pseudoplatanus (in Scotland -
and it is also said Northern England).

In my opinion Acer platanoides and Acer saccharum look more like planes
than does Acer pseudoplatanus, but likely those species were ever rarer
in Scotland when the name got transferred.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-10-2007, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , BIC
writes
http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/nametheseed.htm

what is this

tree is outside a local shop in Hampshire UK

dj

Platanus. The usual one planted is Platanus x hispanica (London Plane)
and I don't have any reason to doubt that it is this.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 13-10-2007, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BIC BIC is offline

"BIC" wrote in message
http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/nametheseed.htm

what is this

tree is outside a local shop in Hampshire UK

dj

I have never heard of the Plane Tree nor has my father in law who asked me
to find out what it was and he's been on the land, gardening, for 60
years..............many thanks all.

Old 13-10-2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 13, 3:37 pm, "BIC" wrote:
"BIC" wrote in message

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/nametheseed.htm

what is this

tree is outside a local shop in Hampshire UK

dj

I have never heard of the Plane Tree nor has my father in law who asked me
to find out what it was and he's been on the land, gardening, for 60
years..............many thanks all.

London and Paris streets have huge numbers of them; O'Connell Street
in Dublin used to have a line down the centre of the street; the Canal
du Midi in France has both banks with a line of 300 year old ones from
one end to the other; They have sycamore/maple like leaves but the
bark peels in big patches giving it a blotchy look.

Des

Old 13-10-2007, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Oct, 15:37, "BIC" wrote:
I have never heard of the Plane Tree nor has my father in law who asked me
to find out what it was and he's been on the land, gardening, for 60
years..............many thanks all.

They are reputed to have a very high tolerance for pollution, or even
to remove it from the air. I have never found a scientific reference
for this.

But that is why it is known as the London Plane, because the london
squares have so many of them. There is no real association with
London apart from that, the earliest known description of the hybrid
is from 17th C spain. I suspect that Kew may have had something to do
with the plantings in London.

When used in fretwork or decorative woodcarving it is known as
"lacewood" because of the open grain - it is useless for exterior
work but can be very attractive in small treen. There is an
australian hardwood also known as Lacewood, which is much more
versatile.

Plane wood was popular for pencil cases and similar items that are of
low value and might be discarded without much concern.

Old 14-10-2007, 01:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 13 Oct, 15:37, "BIC" wrote:
I have never heard of the Plane Tree nor has my father in law who asked
me
to find out what it was and he's been on the land, gardening, for 60
years..............many thanks all.

They are reputed to have a very high tolerance for pollution, or even
to remove it from the air. I have never found a scientific reference
for this.

But that is why it is known as the London Plane, because the london
squares have so many of them. There is no real association with
London apart from that, the earliest known description of the hybrid
is from 17th C spain. I suspect that Kew may have had something to do
with the plantings in London.

They are also very tolerant of large branches being cut back very hard, and
will produce copious numbers of shoots just back from the cut point, meaning
that they can be controlled very well in an urban / street environment

Old 14-10-2007, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

BIC wrote:

I have never heard of the Plane Tree nor has my father in law who asked me
to find out what it was and he's been on the land, gardening, for 60
years..............many thanks all.

We all miss out on somethings we maybe should know :-) Finding out new
stuff is what makes life interesting. Try this web site...

http://www.aranya.co.uk/planes/text/mainplanes.html

for more info on plane trees - which do exist.

Jim