Old 20-10-2007, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX VX is offline

Default Ivy on wood trellis/fences- bad idea?

I have traditional wooden fence (planks nailed to arris rails) 3 ft high with
wooden trellis3ft high above that, all treated with Cuprinol 5-year Sprayable
wood treatment.

What I'd really like is to grow some ivy on this and have, once established,
an evergreen screen. I was all set to do this until I read in a book
(Readers' Digest 1001 Tips For Your Garden) that growing ivy or vines on a
wooden fence could quickly cause the wood to rot.

This is confusing- I have pictures in several gardening books showing just
such an arrangement, ivy growing on wooden trellis above or afixed to wooden
fencing, and it looks well-established- yet the fencing does not seem to be
suffering from decay and imminent collapse. I also have two books on ivy-
both mention growing on trellis, one talks about how he larger-leaved ivies
may need to be tied on as they would not be self-clinging- no mention there
of inherent danger to the wood. (I even wondered if once covered in ivy a
wooden fence might be protected from much of the rainfall and UV light and
even last longer because of this.)

This seems to be conflicting information. Reader's Digest gardenig books
always struck me as being pretty good though. Can anyone suggest what the
reality would be? Or whether growing ivy on a wooden fence is a bad idea or
otherwise?
TIA for any help.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 20-10-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article m,
says...
[...]

Not sure that its having ivy on the fence so much as not being able to
recoat with preserver once its covered in ivy, either way they rot!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 20-10-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

VX wrote:
[...]

Possibly that once the wood is covered with ivy it acan't dry out and so
is more susceptible to rot. Most fences dry out quickly and moisture is
needed for wood to rot

Malcolm
Old 20-10-2007, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/10/07 21:48, in article ,
"Malcolm Race" wrote:

VX wrote:
[...]

This is probably my ignorance showing - I have never found that
self-clinging plants do well on any treated wood. And believe me, I have
tried! *Twining* plants, yes - clinging plants - well, not for me, anyway.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-10-2007, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Oct, 14:26, VX wrote:
I have traditional wooden fence (planks nailed to arris rails) 3 ft high with
wooden trellis3ft high above that, all treated with Cuprinol 5-year Sprayable
wood treatment.

(snip)

Nothing absolutely nothing last for ever, and that includes wood. I
love ivies and have lots of different varieties around my house from
the large leaves ones to the small slow growing clinging ones which
are very tough when you try to remove it. I've spent 2 week end now
clearing one from our front fence, a canariensis 'Gloire de Marengo'
which doesn't 'cling' but hangs over the fence and drops on the other
side. But it's been there almost 8 years and it has served its purpose
which was to hide us from the passers by on the street. By thining it
down it will carry on another 8 years and so on. The wood underneath
is indeed protected by the leaves, but it won't last 30 years! That
I'm sure off.

There's so many kind of ivies and for different purpose. So that's
what you want to ask yourself. Check this link which is a good start
on varieties. It's a good one because it gives you colours as well -
which can make all the difference. If you are happy with what it looks
like and do to your garden, then you'll forget about the wood ....

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/publi...01/ivies_d.asp