Old 22-10-2007, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Squarrosa Tree Ferns

I have listed my New Zealand Squarrosa tree ferns on e-bay at £59.99
but would like to move a large quantity to a more safer place over
winter time.
I live near Burford in Oxfordshire and have about 200 tree ferns that
if I am not careful will all die with a hard frost over winter time.
If anybody knows of any garden centres that would like to buy any or
even offer me storage over winter time and then discuss the options of
sale next year I would love to hear from you.
Also any persons wanting a tree fern this year then please e-mail me
with your enquiry.
Having so many ferns to look after and the threat of a cold winter I
am very concerned.

Thank you
John

Old 23-10-2007, 06:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Squarrosa Tree Ferns SPAM

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have listed my New Zealand Squarrosa tree ferns on e-bay at £59.99
but would like to move a large quantity to a more safer place over
winter time.
I live near Burford in Oxfordshire and have about 200 tree ferns that
if I am not careful will all die with a hard frost over winter time.
If anybody knows of any garden centres that would like to buy any or
even offer me storage over winter time and then discuss the options of
sale next year I would love to hear from you.
Also any persons wanting a tree fern this year then please e-mail me
with your enquiry.
Having so many ferns to look after and the threat of a cold winter I
am very concerned.

Thank you
John

umm - since they were "ok down to -6 last year" and survived the winter do
you think that they either become vulnerable at age 20 (according to
supplier) or that we are going to have a particularly hard winter or maybe
this is a thinly disguised attempt at advertising

Old 23-10-2007, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NikV" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

at least its on topic and not crossposted - shame he couldnt have just put
AD in the subject line

Old 23-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I have listed my New Zealand Squarrosa tree ferns on e-bay at £59.99
but would like to move a large quantity to a more safer place over
winter time.
At least you are honest enough to give a link to the information at forestferns.co.uk, which correctly indicates that you just can't expect to be able to keep a Dicksonia squarrosa alive in your garden in Britain, except in a very few fortunate locations, or with considerable protection, because -4 is about the limit for them. There may well have been a frost of -6 last December where you kept them, but you evidently had the plants sufficiently well protected so that they didn't experience it. Giving them that protection without them going rotten is quite tricky.

The reason why most knowledgeable people who want a 6ft+ tree fern in their garden Britain rarely want a D. squarrosa, is that D. antarctica, D. fibrosa, D. sellowana, C. australis and C. smithii are all easier to keep alive.

Actinomeris Squarrosa Tina Morris United Kingdom 0 02-06-2008 12:34 AM
Tree Ferns.. and when to prepare for winter p United Kingdom 5 07-11-2004 06:16 PM
Tree Ferns Sandy United Kingdom 6 16-10-2003 09:02 AM
dicksonia squarrosa Tony United Kingdom 6 27-09-2003 09:24 AM
Tree Ferns hardiness Serendipity United Kingdom 24 03-11-2002 09:53 AM