Old 31-10-2004, 12:08 PM

Default Tree Ferns.. and when to prepare for winter

I have a south east facing, suburban garden in Worcestershire. I have
two 2' tree ferns in a sheltered area, toward the house, but by a
north facing fence.. I understand that the Tasmanian Tree Fern
(Dicksonia Antarctica) can stay outside, and once its fronds have died
off the top of the trunk should be stuffed with a ball of hay.

The Rough Tree Fern (Cyathea australis) I understand is not as hardy.
Would I need to bring this into the house? Can it be protected
outside?

I also have a two year old Olive tree and an 18 month old Canary
Island Date palm (Phoenix canariensis). Would they benefit from
wintering indoors. I do not have a greenhouse or conservatory, but I
do have a large unheated shed toward the bottom of the garden.

Many thanks
Old 31-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Rupert

"p" tony_nospam_ @highbury_spam_no_no.com wrote in message
I have a south east facing, suburban garden in Worcestershire. I have
two 2' tree ferns in a sheltered area, toward the house, but by a
north facing fence.. I understand that the Tasmanian Tree Fern
(Dicksonia Antarctica) can stay outside, and once its fronds have died
off the top of the trunk should be stuffed with a ball of hay.

The Rough Tree Fern (Cyathea australis) I understand is not as hardy.
Would I need to bring this into the house? Can it be protected
outside?

I also have a two year old Olive tree and an 18 month old Canary
Island Date palm (Phoenix canariensis). Would they benefit from
wintering indoors. I do not have a greenhouse or conservatory, but I
do have a large unheated shed toward the bottom of the garden.

Many thanks

I have both of the tree ferns and palm you mention ( no olive tree).
Cyathea australis is I believe as hardy as Dicksonia Antarctica
All three appear quite happy outside in winter (West Yorkshire ).
The tree ferns loose their fronds with heavy frost but with a small degree
of protection (fleece ) the fronds will survive at least another year. The
old darker green fronds make a good contrast with the new ones. At the least
protect the crown with a handful of straw or leaves.
My Phoenix canariensis planted in a windy well drained soil is as tough as
old boots and looses the odd lower branches only

Old 05-11-2004, 08:06 PM

I have both of the tree ferns and palm you mention ( no olive tree).
Cyathea australis is I believe as hardy as Dicksonia Antarctica
All three appear quite happy outside in winter (West Yorkshire ).
The tree ferns loose their fronds with heavy frost but with a small degree
of protection (fleece ) the fronds will survive at least another year. The
old darker green fronds make a good contrast with the new ones. At the least
protect the crown with a handful of straw or leaves.
My Phoenix canariensis planted in a windy well drained soil is as tough as
old boots and looses the odd lower branches only

How old/established are your ferns?
Old 06-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Rupert

"p" tony_nospam_ @highbury_spam_no_no.com wrote in message
I have both of the tree ferns and palm you mention ( no olive tree).
Cyathea australis is I believe as hardy as Dicksonia Antarctica
All three appear quite happy outside in winter (West Yorkshire ).
The tree ferns loose their fronds with heavy frost but with a small degree
of protection (fleece ) the fronds will survive at least another year. The
old darker green fronds make a good contrast with the new ones. At the
least
protect the crown with a handful of straw or leaves.
My Phoenix canariensis planted in a windy well drained soil is as tough as
old boots and looses the odd lower branches only

How old/established are your ferns?

4 Tree ferns. Three have trunks about 5 feet and are planted in the ground.
One in a pot at about 2 feet high.

All four have been in my possession for about 6 years

Old 07-11-2004, 11:47 AM

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 17:07:51 -0000, "Rupert"
wrote:

"p" tony_nospam_ @highbury_spam_no_no.com wrote in message
.. .
I have both of the tree ferns and palm you mention ( no olive tree).
Cyathea australis is I believe as hardy as Dicksonia Antarctica
All three appear quite happy outside in winter (West Yorkshire ).
The tree ferns loose their fronds with heavy frost but with a small degree
of protection (fleece ) the fronds will survive at least another year. The
old darker green fronds make a good contrast with the new ones. At the
least
protect the crown with a handful of straw or leaves.
My Phoenix canariensis planted in a windy well drained soil is as tough as
old boots and looses the odd lower branches only

How old/established are your ferns?

4 Tree ferns. Three have trunks about 5 feet and are planted in the ground.
One in a pot at about 2 feet high.

All four have been in my possession for about 6 years

Thanks for you reply. Which varieties to you have?

Old 07-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Rupert

news
wrote:

"p" tony_nospam_ @highbury_spam_no_no.com wrote in message
. ..
[...]

All four are Dicksonia Antarctica but this appears to be a generalised term
in some of my local garden centres. One has a much more fibrous trunk than
the rest and produces smaller fronds.