GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sacha Hubbard (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/166188-sacha-hubbard.html)

Alan Holmes[_2_] 27-10-2007 02:46 PM

Sacha Hubbard

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Sacha" wrote
The press does look at newsgroups, believe me.

Am I the only none that notices things mentioned here that appear in
Gardeners World a couple of weeks later. Could be a co-incidence but it
happens too often IMO. Not that I watch it much these days, bring back
Percy.

I remember mentioning an unusual horse chestnut once and it appeared in
the Telegraph about three weeks later then in GW about 6 months ago! Me
first, me first ......................

You are surely not admitting to be a reader of the Telegraph?

Shame on you!

judith.lea 27-10-2007 02:47 PM

Sacha Hubbard

On Oct 27, 2:43 pm, Gary Woods wrote:
It's raining pretty seriously in the Northeastern U.S., with our first

freeze predicted tomorrow night. I haven't even had a frost yet on my
hilltop.

I brought in all the tender plants and geraniums and put them in the
barn, it's a lovely day and hot enough to eat outside. The nights are
another matter, frost last night and snow flurries are predicted on
Sancy. not enough to lay, just a light dusting. Are you in New York
State Gary?

Judith

Gary Woods 27-10-2007 03:24 PM

Sacha Hubbard

"judith.lea" wrote:

Are you in New York
State Gary?

Yes; in the hills about 30 miles west of Albany; perhaps 180 miles west of
Boston (the American one). 1400 feet elevation, so a bit cooler than the
maps would indicate. That's a two-edged sword: my summers are a bit
cooler, but I usually get the first frost somewhat later than the valleys
below.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 27-10-2007 03:48 PM

Sacha Hubbard

In article ,
says...
"judith.lea" wrote:

Are you in New York
State Gary?

Yes; in the hills about 30 miles west of Albany; perhaps 180 miles west of
Boston (the American one). 1400 feet elevation, so a bit cooler than the
maps would indicate. That's a two-edged sword: my summers are a bit
cooler, but I usually get the first frost somewhat later than the valleys
below.

Is that the Albany-new york of Clematis 'Betty Corning' fame? (Wife of a
mayor there 1920's-1930's)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

judith.lea 27-10-2007 03:54 PM

Sacha Hubbard

On Oct 27, 3:24 pm, Gary Woods wrote:
"judith.lea" wrote:
Are you in New York
State Gary?

Yes; in the hills about 30 miles west of Albany; perhaps 180 miles west of
Boston (the American one). 1400 feet elevation, so a bit cooler than the
maps would indicate. That's a two-edged sword: my summers are a bit
cooler, but I usually get the first frost somewhat later than the valleys
below.

I know where you are, lovely countryside.

Judith

Gary Woods 27-10-2007 04:31 PM

Sacha Hubbard

Charlie Pridham wrote:

Is that the Albany-new york of Clematis 'Betty Corning' fame?

Indeed yes; Erastus Corning was mayor through, I think, the late 70s. He
was a branch of the family that owned Corning Glass...old money (at least
for us; you folks have much older). The George Landis arboretum across the
valley from me has that Clematis. I keep meaning to snitch a cutting or
two, after making a suitable donation. Does that violate the "cuttings
will succeed only if stolen" rule?

Sacha 27-10-2007 05:41 PM

Sacha Hubbard

On 27/10/07 00:45, in article , "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Sacha" wrote
The press does look at newsgroups, believe me.

Am I the only none that notices things mentioned here that appear in
Gardeners World a couple of weeks later. Could be a co-incidence but it
happens too often IMO. Not that I watch it much these days, bring back
Percy.

I remember mentioning an unusual horse chestnut once and it appeared in
the Telegraph about three weeks later then in GW about 6 months ago! Me
first, me first ......................

Yes! Something I said on another group was quoted in the DT a few years
ago, giving my name. I don't know who wa more surprised - the people who
had been making libellous remarks or me, who had been refuting them!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 27-10-2007 05:42 PM

Sacha Hubbard

On 27/10/07 09:34, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:01:10 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 26/10/07 17:57, in article
, "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote
Snip.

Yet more vindictive and tiresome crap from a chronic attention seeker
giving rise to no less than 20 posts so far (21 with mine).
The killfile is our collective friend, folks.

I used to think that and still use it on occasion for the moronic trolls but
some people need watching.

Yes. The kill file allows the worst offenders to persist unseen and
unchecked.

If they are unseen, who cares? :-)

Newbies who don't know the difference.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 27-10-2007 05:47 PM

Sacha Hubbard

In article ,
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Is that the Albany-new york of Clematis 'Betty Corning' fame?

Indeed yes; Erastus Corning was mayor through, I think, the late 70s. He
was a branch of the family that owned Corning Glass...old money (at least
for us; you folks have much older). The George Landis arboretum across the
valley from me has that Clematis. I keep meaning to snitch a cutting or
two, after making a suitable donation. Does that violate the "cuttings
will succeed only if stolen" rule?

Thats more or less how Betty got it! apparently found on a house front in
the mid west and taken all the way to Texas as a cutting in a potato.
Still has the best scent of any summer flowering clematis.

Sacha 27-10-2007 05:56 PM

Sacha Hubbard

On 27/10/07 09:32, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:45:25 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Sacha" wrote
The press does look at newsgroups, believe me.

Am I the only none that notices things mentioned here that appear in
Gardeners World a couple of weeks later. Could be a co-incidence but it
happens too often IMO. Not that I watch it much these days, bring back
Percy.

I remember mentioning an unusual horse chestnut once and it appeared in
the Telegraph about three weeks later then in GW about 6 months ago! Me
first, me first ......................

Is this the time to post photos of unusual shaped carrots?

Tsk, Martin! This is a non-binary group. ;-)))

Sacha 27-10-2007 06:08 PM

Sacha Hubbard

On 27/10/07 17:59, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:56:18 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 27/10/07 09:32, in article
,

wrote:

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Sacha" wrote
The press does look at newsgroups, believe me.

Am I the only none that notices things mentioned here that appear in
Gardeners World a couple of weeks later. Could be a co-incidence but it
happens too often IMO. Not that I watch it much these days, bring back
Percy.

I remember mentioning an unusual horse chestnut once and it appeared in
the Telegraph about three weeks later then in GW about 6 months ago! Me
first, me first ......................

Is this the time to post photos of unusual shaped carrots?

Tsk, Martin! This is a non-binary group. ;-)))

Just as well :-)

I got that book "Play with your Food" about the veggie carving artist. It's
just brilliant!

Space[_2_] 27-10-2007 06:17 PM

Sacha Hubbard

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/10/07 09:34, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

Yes. The kill file allows the worst offenders to persist unseen and
unchecked.

If they are unseen, who cares? :-)

Newbies who don't know the difference.

Sacha, that is patronising to newbies. newbies to URG are not necessary
newbies to newsgroups.

I have said this before, if someone asks for advice the onus is on them to
ensure the advice is sound. I.E compare to other advice.

It is NOT your responsibility to hold everyone's hand.

I say kill file or ignore.

Sacha 28-10-2007 12:33 AM

Sacha Hubbard

On 27/10/07 18:17, in article , "Space"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/10/07 09:34, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

Yes. The kill file allows the worst offenders to persist unseen and
unchecked.

If they are unseen, who cares? :-)

Newbies who don't know the difference.

Sacha, that is patronising to newbies. newbies to URG are not necessary
newbies to newsgroups.

I have said this before, if someone asks for advice the onus is on them to
ensure the advice is sound. I.E compare to other advice.

It is NOT your responsibility to hold everyone's hand.

I say kill file or ignore.

And you are...........?

?[_3_] 28-10-2007 12:36 AM

Sacha Hubbard

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:33:25 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 27/10/07 18:17, in article , "Space"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/10/07 09:34, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

Yes. The kill file allows the worst offenders to persist unseen and
unchecked.

If they are unseen, who cares? :-)

Newbies who don't know the difference.

Sacha, that is patronising to newbies. newbies to URG are not necessary
newbies to newsgroups.

I have said this before, if someone asks for advice the onus is on them to
ensure the advice is sound. I.E compare to other advice.

It is NOT your responsibility to hold everyone's hand.

I say kill file or ignore.

And you are...........?

And who, exactly, do you think YOU are?

Space[_2_] 28-10-2007 05:22 AM

Sacha Hubbard

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/10/07 18:17, in article , "Space"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/10/07 09:34, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

Yes. The kill file allows the worst offenders to persist unseen and
unchecked.

If they are unseen, who cares? :-)

Newbies who don't know the difference.

Sacha, that is patronising to newbies. newbies to URG are not necessary
newbies to newsgroups.

I have said this before, if someone asks for advice the onus is on them
ensure the advice is sound. I.E compare to other advice.

It is NOT your responsibility to hold everyone's hand.

I say kill file or ignore.

And you are...........?

what was the point of that question?