Old 10-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Registered User

Default Honda GCV-160 5.5 Starting problems

I hope I have posted this in the correct place but my Honda has just started playing up and can take 30mins to start.

It coughs, splutters, backfires and stops after between 3 and 10 seconds. If you persevere with this after about 30 minutes it will eventually start fine and run like there has never been a problem!

I would be grateful of any ideas to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Registered User

Thanks. I have done that and use fresh fuel every time.

Very occasionally it works first time without any problems, which is why I am confused!
Old 11-11-2007, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
shinydoc

If you know a shop (technician) whom is very knowledgable I would
suggest you ask about getting the next "hotter" sparkplug that fits.
(He should be able to give you a spec-list.) I have done this for all
kinds of internal combustion engines with all kinds of starting
problems, and 100% of the time it has helped. On rare occasions (1 or
2 cylinders of an automobile engine getting oil-fouled repeatedly) I
have used a plug 2 grades hotter. It works. The plug may burn-out a
little sooner, but that's a trivial inconvenience compared to a
nonfunctional engine.

Don

Old 13-11-2007, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shinydoc" wrote in message

I hope I have posted this in the correct place but my Honda has just
started playing up and can take 30mins to start.

It coughs, splutters, backfires and stops after between 3 and 10
seconds. If you persevere with this after about 30 minutes it will
eventually start fine and run like there has never been a problem!

I would be grateful of any ideas to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

uk.rec.motorcycles is

that way

Old 13-11-2007, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Nov, 19:54, shinydoc
wrote:
I hope I have posted this in the correct place but my Honda has just
started playing up and can take 30mins to start.

It coughs, splutters, backfires and stops after between 3 and 10
seconds. If you persevere with this after about 30 minutes it will
eventually start fine and run like there has never been a problem!

I would be grateful of any ideas to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

--
shinydoc

Sometimes the choke mechanism springs can become detached so the choke
won't work properly but what happens often on mine is that some dirt
gets into the carb. I take the carb off now, then take the jet needle
out and clean it all thoroughly.
Also some of these have a low engine oil cut-off switch and if the oil
level is borderline it can cause intermiittent cutting out.
Other than that you have the plug and also the valve gap can be
adjusted.

Old 17-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adder1969 View Post
On 10 Nov, 19:54, shinydoc
wrote:
[...]

does it have an auto choke if so good luck mine has been giving me problems for over a year so far its had new inlet manifold new carb new choke mechanism and new wax thermostat. still not right!!!!