Old 15-11-2007, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default chrysanthemum cuttings

Is it possible to take cuttings from cut flowers? There are so many nice
varieties in the florists, and it seems a shame to bin them. I know
they're easy to propagate, but how would you go about it at this time of
year? I have a small plastic type greenhouse outside and the odd window
sill inside, but basically not a lot of room.
Also, I can't say I'm keen on the big showy types. Are there some old
fashioned single flower varieties that I could look out for next year? I
particularly like the brick red ones I remember as a kid, and any late
flowering types would be of interest.
Can't get over how crazy these plants are producing all this colour in
mid November!
Old 15-11-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/11/07 15:02, in article ,
"Stuart Noble" wrote:

Is it possible to take cuttings from cut flowers? There are so many nice
varieties in the florists, and it seems a shame to bin them. I know
they're easy to propagate, but how would you go about it at this time of
year? I have a small plastic type greenhouse outside and the odd window
sill inside, but basically not a lot of room.
Also, I can't say I'm keen on the big showy types. Are there some old
fashioned single flower varieties that I could look out for next year? I
particularly like the brick red ones I remember as a kid, and any late
flowering types would be of interest.
Can't get over how crazy these plants are producing all this colour in
mid November!

You can sometimes get slips or non-flowering shoots on some cut flowers,
including carnations and pinks, so it's always worth a try. I don't know
about chrysanths - never tried. The nearest you're likely to get to the
old-fashioned ones in a florists would, I think, be the ones the florists
call ayr chrysanths or spray chrysanths. ayr means all year round.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-11-2007, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
says...
On 15/11/07 15:02, in article ,
"Stuart Noble" wrote:

[...]

The Mrs has grown many a pink from a bouquet. When it's time to discard
the flowers into the compost, pinks have often put out a few roots while
standing in water in a vase. So well worth checking before discarding
any bouquets - if there are any roots on anything pot 'em up.
--
David in Normandy
Old 15-11-2007, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from Sacha contains these
words:

On 15/11/07 15:02, in article ,
"Stuart Noble" wrote:

[...]

I have rooted side shoots from chrysanths many times, Sacha.

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a try then.
Old 15-11-2007, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stuart Noble" wrote:

[...]

I'm sure it must work. They're just not flowers I buy very often. I'll go
looking for some tomorrow and see what I can filch from their stems!

Old 16-11-2007, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stuart Noble" wrote:
[...]

They seem to have gone out of fashion in recent years, but I can't
imagine why.

I'll go
looking for some tomorrow and see what I can filch from their stems!

So you'd pull off a side shoot with a heel? Then what? Will they need
heat to root? Sorry, I'm not too experienced with cuttings.
Old 16-11-2007, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stuart Noble" wrote:
[...]

When it comes to thinks like carnations and pinks etc., I just used to tear
off the little shoots, dip them in hormone rooting powder and put them into
cutting compost. I didn't worry about a 'heel'. Ray prefers the hormone
rooting liquid - I don't think he's ever done a scientific trial but he
seems to feel he gets a better result with it.

Old 17-11-2007, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from Sacha contains these
words:

So you'd pull off a side shoot with a heel? Then what? Will they need
heat to root? Sorry, I'm not too experienced with cuttings.

When it comes to thinks like carnations and pinks etc., I just used to tear
off the little shoots, dip them in hormone rooting powder and put them into
cutting compost. I didn't worry about a 'heel'. Ray prefers the hormone
rooting liquid - I don't think he's ever done a scientific trial but he
seems to feel he gets a better result with it.

I just put them in a jar of water, and they root. I found 'baby food'
jars were ideal for the purpose.

That doesn't sound too technical :-)
Old 17-11-2007, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/11/07 08:49, in article ,
"Stuart Noble" wrote:

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from Sacha contains these
words:

So you'd pull off a side shoot with a heel? Then what? Will they need
heat to root? Sorry, I'm not too experienced with cuttings.

When it comes to thinks like carnations and pinks etc., I just used to tear
off the little shoots, dip them in hormone rooting powder and put them into
cutting compost. I didn't worry about a 'heel'. Ray prefers the hormone
rooting liquid - I don't think he's ever done a scientific trial but he
seems to feel he gets a better result with it.

I just put them in a jar of water, and they root. I found 'baby food'
jars were ideal for the purpose.

That doesn't sound too technical :-)

Anne reminds me that I once did the same with a piece I tore off a
Passiflora caerulea (the 'hardy' passionflower) I'd taken a bit (with
permission) from a friend's garden above Dartmouth and I just stuck it in a
glass of water and watched the roots grow. Then I put it into some potting
compost and let it grow on a bit. Last time I saw it in the garden I had
then, it was doing a take over bid on just about everything around it.