Old 22-11-2007, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best plant for short hedge

Hi all!

I'm just in the process of getting my first job (growing up at last!) and
am in the process of looking for my first house. One of the things I'm
really looking for in a house is a nice garden. Up until now, I haven't
had much of an opportunity for gardening due to the lack of a garden but
I have some ideas about how I'd like to make my garden when I have a
place to put it :-)

One of the ideas was a very short trimmed hedge, I'm thinking maybe 1-
foot wide x 1-foot tall, very close to the ground, to mark the boundary
between a patio area and some kind of lawn. So, I was curious as to what
kind of plant would make the best hedge in this situation. Does anyone
have any ideas? Specifically, the hedge will be in the North-West of
England.

Thanks a lot,
Hank
Old 22-11-2007, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Nov 2007 19:45:16 GMT, Hank Marvin wrote and
included this (or some of this):

I'm just in the process of getting my first job (growing up at last!) and
am in the process of looking for my first house. One of the things I'm
really looking for in a house is a nice garden. Up until now, I haven't
had much of an opportunity for gardening due to the lack of a garden but
I have some ideas about how I'd like to make my garden when I have a
place to put it :-)

One of the ideas was a very short trimmed hedge, I'm thinking maybe 1-
foot wide x 1-foot tall, very close to the ground, to mark the boundary
between a patio area and some kind of lawn. So, I was curious as to what
kind of plant would make the best hedge in this situation. Does anyone
have any ideas? Specifically, the hedge will be in the North-West of
England.

Box?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 22-11-2007, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Nov, 19:45, Hank Marvin wrote:
One of the ideas was a very short trimmed hedge, I'm thinking maybe 1-
foot wide x 1-foot tall, very close to the ground, to mark the boundary
between a patio area and some kind of lawn. So, I was curious as to what
kind of plant would make the best hedge in this situation. Does anyone
have any ideas? Specifically, the hedge will be in the North-West of
England.

The classic for such hedges is Box, but yew or some hollies can be
good in such circumstances. All will need careful trimming to make
them look neat and tidy, and might be a bit more time consuming than
you would like.

What about Lavender? It will certainly attract the bees and can be
quite stunning.

Old 22-11-2007, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 22 Nov, 21:15, wrote:
On 22 Nov, 19:45, Hank Marvin wrote:

One of the ideas was a very short trimmed hedge, I'm thinking maybe 1-
foot wide x 1-foot tall, very close to the ground, to mark the boundary
between a patio area and some kind of lawn. So, I was curious as to what
kind of plant would make the best hedge in this situation. Does anyone
have any ideas? Specifically, the hedge will be in the North-West of
England.

The classic for such hedges is Box, but yew or some hollies can be
good in such circumstances. All will need careful trimming to make
them look neat and tidy, and might be a bit more time consuming than
you would like.

What about Lavender? It will certainly attract the bees and can be
quite stunning.

A plant we used to use in the dim and distant past was Santolina
chamaecyparis - cotton lavender
if kept trimmed it makes a good short hedge 12 to 18 inches height and
grows well from cuttings also quick to get to size.
David Hill
Old 22-11-2007, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 22 Nov, 21:15, wrote:
[...]

How about Lonicera, Baggesens Gold,
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...48063000MdIXxx
Anthony

Old 23-11-2007, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/11/07 23:47, in article , "Anthony"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 22 Nov, 21:15, wrote:
[...]

Nandina domestica is pretty, too. The leaves turn a lovely colour in autumn
but although it's hardy it doesn't like cold winds.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk