Old 23-11-2007, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Whats this plant..?

Hi,

My colleague was given a plant recently - not sure if it's a house
plant or garden plant.

http://flickr.com/photos/marksthomas/2056834751/

Anyone any idea what it is?

Thanks

Mark
Old 23-11-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 7023b1cc-e438-40ec-8125-757dcda3fd53
@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com, Mark Thomas says...
Hi,

My colleague was given a plant recently - not sure if it's a house
plant or garden plant.

http://flickr.com/photos/marksthomas/2056834751/

Anyone any idea what it is?

Thanks

Mark

It's not a houseplant I've ever seen before. It looks quite
unusual with that little "whisker" on the leaf tips. I'm
sure someone here will identify it though.
--
David in Normandy
Old 24-11-2007, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark Thomas" wrote in message
Hi,

My colleague was given a plant recently - not sure if it's a house
plant or garden plant.

http://flickr.com/photos/marksthomas/2056834751/

Anyone any idea what it is?

Thanks

Mark

Coudl be a Croton, here's a photo

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/14285/

someone

Old 25-11-2007, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

someone wrote:
"Mark Thomas" wrote in message
Hi,

My colleague was given a plant recently - not sure if it's a house
plant or garden plant.

http://flickr.com/photos/marksthomas/2056834751/

Anyone any idea what it is?

Thanks

Mark

Coudl be a Croton, here's a photo

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/14285/

someone

Oddly enough I was about to post a message asking for an ID on a plant I
have had for 20 years. It appears to be a purple version of this Croton.

It was bought about 20 years ago from the excellent nursery at Chessington
(since sadly gone). I think it was called Croton "Temple Bells", but have
long since lost the label. It usually flowers in early spring, but I can't
remember if these are typically euphorbiaceous or not. One thing which
puzzles me is that there is no milky sap if the leaves or stems are broken.
Is this typical of these Codiaeums?

Does anyone know if there is a botanical term for this strange leaf growth,
where the leaf seems to end, but the midvein is extended and continues the
leaf further on?

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 25-11-2007, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
someone wrote:
[...]

I believe it's called a segmented leaf. I have a small kaffir lime tree I
grew from seed and it's similar in that the leaf comes in two parts
(although not as dramatically as that Croton above).

someone