Old 20-04-2003, 05:58 PM
Charlie

Default Growing Chiles (Again)

If I want to save seed for next year, it can't be pollinated by a different
plant, right?

So, when the flowers start coming I will have to keep at least two plants
which are the same together, but away from different varieties?

Will seeds that are pollinated from a different variety grow properly next
year?

Charlie.

--
www.lowfidelity.org.uk
RCTQ Double Princess of Britain

---

Old 20-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Little Badger

Charlie
Remember you can only ensure seed growth if the plants are not F1 hybrids!

You would be better off contacting me next year for new fresh seeds! I'll
have Tepin by then!

Badger

Old 20-04-2003, 11:34 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Charlie" wrote in message
If I want to save seed for next year, it can't be pollinated by a

different
plant, right?

So, when the flowers start coming I will have to keep at least two plants
which are the same together, but away from different varieties?

Depends, if you want to keep a pure strain/variety then you will have to
keep plants of that variety seperate from all other chillies/peppers.

Will seeds that are pollinated from a different variety grow properly next
year?

Yes it will grow, it won't be a pure variety but might just be something
good anyway.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 21-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Charlie

I bought some little "Thai Sun" from an open day at the agricultural college
yesterday and I was hoping that if I grew them indoors or in the greenhouse
then they would pollinate each other and next year I wouldn't have to
attempt to buy them again! They look very pretty, hundreds of little
chiles! Actually, will they cross pollinate without wind? Will I have to
do it by hand?

Charlie

Old 21-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Little Badger

Charlie
Sounds interesting! Any chance of some seeds?

Badger

Old 21-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Charlie

Sure thing. I think I've gathered from the net that Chiles self pollinate.
So if that's true then I just need to keep one of those plants away from any
others (say in my bedroom) and dry a number of those chiles for seed. OR
something like that. Please correct!

Old 22-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Little Badger

Charlie
Last year I had a whole lot of Apache seedlings spring up in my greenhouse
border from seeds from the previous year!
The original plants were in the same area as lots of other types of chilli
(Habanero, Std green chilli, Hot Wax etc.
I took no steps to stop them cross pollinating at all!

I planted up these seedlings and grew them on!
Now considering Apache is a F1 hybrid I didn't hope for much!

The result was plants so wondrous and hot that I gave numerous plants away
as presents. One thing to note was the fruit variation! Some fruit were as
the year before but many (if not the greater proportion) were very tiny and
almost wrinkly, very much like a tiny Habaneros! All the fruits were very
hot!

Badger

Old 22-04-2003, 06:44 PM
swroot

Little Badger wrote:

Charlie
Last year I had a whole lot of Apache seedlings spring up in my greenhouse
border from seeds from the previous year! The original plants were in the
same area as lots of other types of chilli (Habanero, Std green chilli,
Hot Wax etc. I took no steps to stop them cross pollinating at all!

I planted up these seedlings and grew them on!
Now considering Apache is a F1 hybrid I didn't hope for much!

The result was plants so wondrous and hot that I gave numerous plants away
as presents. One thing to note was the fruit variation! Some fruit were as
the year before but many (if not the greater proportion) were very tiny
and almost wrinkly, very much like a tiny Habaneros! All the fruits were
very hot!

You don't by chance know anyone growing plain Jalapenos, do you?
Is it difficult/impossible to grow peppers without a greenhouse? I've
germinated some extraordinarily expensive 'roasting' red pepper seeds in
the airing cupboard and hope that I can keep the plants alive until it's
warm enough to put them outside in pots, or perhaps a very sunny,
sheltered bed. Do they require moist, rich soils, or are they happy in
dry conditions?

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley
Old 22-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Charlie

I was talking to someone who lives in Kent and he says that although he
starts his in a greenhouse, when it warms up to the nice hot summer weather
he puts his outside in 12" pots on a sunny patio. He says that he's also
got one in a bed coming up for a second year. Can't be bad.

Charlie.

Old 22-04-2003, 06:56 PM
jane

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:29:03 +0100, "Charlie"
wrote:

~I was talking to someone who lives in Kent and he says that although he
~starts his in a greenhouse, when it warms up to the nice hot summer weather
~he puts his outside in 12" pots on a sunny patio. He says that he's also
~got one in a bed coming up for a second year. Can't be bad.

ok have any of you chilliheads seen
http://www.vidaverde.co.uk/hotcapsicums.html

I grew purple venezuelan last year and am growing the saved seed this.
They are little firebombs which look for all the world like peas when
cooked (if you pick them before they go red). I first had a similar
chilli in a Thai restaurant in Berlin (!) and then spent years trying
to track down a similar variety. They are little green and purple
bushes and can be grown outside in the summer. Everything is purple
and green, even the chillies (which go green on cooking) except the
flowers which are purple and white

Highly recommended. And Videverde encourage you to save seed!

jane

~
~Charlie.
~
~"swroot" wrote in message
~ Little Badger wrote:
~
[...]
~ --
~ "Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
~ is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley
~
~
~---
~
~

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!

Old 22-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
swroot wrote:

You don't by chance know anyone growing plain Jalapenos, do you?

I am not desperately keen on them, so I don't grow them. Still, they
are better than habaneros, which are very pernickety and tend not to
taste of anything unless very carefully grown. I like Thai Dragon,
but am happy to experiment with others, given suggestions!

Is it difficult/impossible to grow peppers without a greenhouse? I've
germinated some extraordinarily expensive 'roasting' red pepper seeds in
the airing cupboard and hope that I can keep the plants alive until it's
warm enough to put them outside in pots, or perhaps a very sunny,
sheltered bed. Do they require moist, rich soils, or are they happy in
dry conditions?

Not at all. They need only a fraction more heat and light than the
UK normally provides, so a south-facing windowsill or a similar
corner of a house is usually adequate. Or a polytunnel or tall barn
cloches. Habanero need a bit more, which is another reason I don't
grow them.

They do well in FAIRLY dry conditions, but need a reasonable amount
of water. When you read about them needing humid conditions, that
is by USA standards - here they need warmth and light, but no more
humidity than we get anyway. They don't drop dead or drop too many
flowers and fruit if you forget to water them once or twice.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Little Badger

They are happy in most conditions!
I only water my plants in the evening after they've been baking in the
greenhouse! Adds to the heat!

Badger

Old 23-04-2003, 12:59 PM
swroot

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
swroot wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all this. While I'm eyeing the house with a view to finding
somewhere to put one of those plastic plant wardrobes, I shall try the
peppers in the bed after adding humus and remember to water them!

regards
sarah

ps. Something else for your wall: _Trachelospermum asiaticum_. Supposed
to be a conservatory plant, but my little one (three stems c. 3'
wide/tall) survived last winter in a pot against the (west-facing)
fence. It was one of those
spur-of-the-moment-"At-that-price-I-might-as-well-try-it" purchases, and
I really haven't anywhere to put it so you're welcome to it.

regards
sarah