Old 11-01-2008, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment law proposals

This was proposed in 2003 and I found it on the BBC web site. I wonder if
it every went any further:
"Last Updated:*Tuesday, 27 May, 2003, 14:17 GMT 15:17 UK

"The profile of allotments rose on EastEnders
The government has ordered a national audit to monitor the use of allotments
to prepare for a shake-up of laws governing their use.
For many people in Britain's towns and cities, allotments represent a haven
amid the hustle and bustle of urban life.
If the rules are relaxed, they could be used as profit-making farms or
handed over to community groups or schools.
The audit, ordered by Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott, was triggered by
concerns too many are being sold off to developers.
Allotment industry
Bristol is one of the UK's top allotment cities with 5,000
Some waiting lists are up to six years
In World War II, there were nearly two million allotments nationwide
Today's figure is about 300,000
Average rent is £25 a year
The number of allotments is only a sixth of what it was 60 years ago.
The current laws date back to 1908 and they dictate that people who rent
allotments from a local authority or a private landlord must use the land to
grow fruit and vegetables for the family.
So tenants cannot grow food for commercial sale.
But as interest in locally-grown food has increased, campaigners have wanted
the laws changed to allow allotment-holders to sell surplus food to markets.
Other legal reforms could allow the green spaces to be used for relaxation,
so deckchairs and barbecues could replace the shovel as the allotment
accessory.
'Laws need modernising'
And greater access may be encouraged for schoolchildren and community groups
as a means to educate about wildlife and food.
There could also be moves to prevent their continuing decline in numbers.

Many want to imitate The Good Life
Geoff Stokes, secretary of the National Society for Allotments and Leisure
Gardeners, told BBC News Online: "We want to see a 21st century review of
how allotments should operate, rather than looking at what happened 100
years ago.
"As time as moved on, what a lot of people are looking for now is a
recreational open space.
"So they can sit there in summer or take their children there, rather than
have regimental rows of vegetation."
Mr Stokes said he would like to see food sold to local markets, but not as
part of a business.
The reforms are not likely to find favour among some allotment
traditionalists.
TV influence
One man, who has owned an allotment in Bristol for 40 years, told BBC News:
"If they do that, they're crackers.
"It's just for growing something and eat it - nice fresh vegetables."
The profile of allotment-holders - once traditionally a male preserve - has
changed over the years.
It is estimated that women now make up about 20% of tenants, with some
mothers keen to grow organic vegetables for their children.
Interest in allotments was increased by television shows such as The Good
Life in the 1970s, then later EastEnders, plus the present popularity of
gardening programmes."

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
This was proposed in 2003 and I found it on the BBC web site. I wonder if
it every went any further:
"Last Updated: Tuesday, 27 May, 2003, 14:17 GMT 15:17 UK

no idea but Routeways Charity have take over part of Penlee Valley
allotments near ours with a view to building up a kind of market garden that
sells to local shops
http://www.routecentre.co.uk/framese...s_frameset.htm
It's coming along well too

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments
Best Allotment Site in Plymouth

Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Jan, 08:53, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
wrote:
*no idea but Routeways Charity have take over part of Penlee Valley
allotments near ours with a view to building up a kind of market garden that
sells to local shopshttp://www.routecentre.co.uk/framesets/projects_section/projects_fram...
It's coming along well too

This is wonderful news indeed. Interesting that they have converted an
old hotel to house so many youth and health projects and use the
grounds for the garden. Inspiring!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:53:33 -0000, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
This was proposed in 2003 and I found it on the BBC web site. I wonder if
it every went any further:
"Last Updated: Tuesday, 27 May, 2003, 14:17 GMT 15:17 UK

no idea but Routeways Charity have take over part of Penlee Valley
allotments near ours with a view to building up a kind of market garden that
sells to local shops
http://www.routecentre.co.uk/framese...s_frameset.htm
It's coming along well too

Was there no demand for the allotments?
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 12-01-2008, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mogga" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:53:33 -0000, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
This was proposed in 2003 and I found it on the BBC web site. I wonder
if
it every went any further:
"Last Updated: Tuesday, 27 May, 2003, 14:17 GMT 15:17 UK

no idea but Routeways Charity have take over part of Penlee Valley
allotments near ours with a view to building up a kind of market garden
that
sells to local shops
http://www.routecentre.co.uk/framese...s_frameset.htm
It's coming along well too

Was there no demand for the allotments?

Apparently not at that time

Old 14-01-2008, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Sacha wrote:

"As time as moved on, what a lot of people are looking for now is a
recreational open space.

Our (newly elected after years in opposition) council took that idea
on board and proposed closing the sites, and amongst other things,
putting in concrete walkways between the plots for some reason and
then re opening them. They didnt seem to realise they would be
wrecking things like asparagus beds, it caused a near riot at the
council meeting with hundreds of alotmenters attending and the issue
being brought forward to item 1 so it could be quickly dumped. I was
quite surprised when the chap on the next plot to me strode up to the
leader in the full council meeting (he had told me he knew him) and
had a personal go at him, I think the ushers or whatever they are
called were getting quite nervous!

Personally I dont see how allotments can make very good "recreational
open space", that would be the parks that surround many allotments,
wouldn't it?
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email