Old 21-01-2008, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sowing broad beans

wrote:

On 20 Jan, 23:21, (Peter Robinson) wrote:
Oh - I was imagining you'd eat the whole thing - so do you mean you peel
off the green outer pod (i.e. just pod them) or peel off the white
jackets from individual beans? The latter sounds far too much like hard
work to me :-)

Nahnn... it's not hard work to enjoy preparing what you are going to
eat!

Well, yes that's true. And there's something very comfortable and
satisfying about that sort of time consuming sit-down vegetable prep.
Like shelling peas for instance.

I was a bit like that with nice little runner beans last year.

Peas is also very hard to avoid eating raw.

That reminds me I have another question about peas for another thread
when I get a minute...

I munch on raw celery,
spinash, sorrel, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms (this one mixed with
sultanas and cucumber in mayo feint ... but yes, try not to eat raw
spuds (you'd have to be mad frankly ;o)

How about a nice crunchy stem of rhubarb?

Peter
Old 21-01-2008, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Aries writes:

| I can't eat any kind of beans raw, they give me stomach cramps. I also
| know that dried beans, like kidney beans, need to be fast boiled for a
| while before simmering to cook otherwise one can be poisoned ? Or so
| I've heard. Is this true and does it also apply to our fresh garden
| beans?

It's true, and it applies to ripe but fresh garden beans (or at least
ones of the relevant species).

Few people have trouble with green beans, where the seeds have not
developed, or broad beans. You are unlucky.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-01-2008, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Jan, 21:51, (Peter Robinson) wrote:
That reminds me I have another question about peas for another thread
when I get a minute...

The minute has well past and gone Peter! Go on, lets have it!
Old 22-01-2008, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 21 Jan, 21:51, (Peter Robinson) wrote:
That reminds me I have another question about peas for another thread
when I get a minute...

The minute has well past and gone Peter! Go on, lets have it!

No, not *those* minutes - they were each filled with a minute and a bit
of other things :-(

Oh go on then, this one will do...

Peter