Old 21-01-2008, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardenia Trouble.

Hi , i have a Gardenia jasmonoides that was in flower when i got it,the
flower buds that were left died off, they went brown and dry.Now the leaves
are turning yellow in places then going brown and drop off.There are new
leaves appearing,but some leaves continue to drop.I think i may have been
letting it get too much on the dry side ? .
If this one goes in the dustbin it will be the last one i try and grow as i
have had 2 in the past and found them very difficult to grow!
Any thoughts?
Thanks Keith

Old 21-01-2008, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"keith kent" wrote
Hi , i have a Gardenia jasmonoides that was in flower when i got it,the
flower buds that were left died off, they went brown and dry.Now the
leaves are turning yellow in places then going brown and drop off.There
are new leaves appearing,but some leaves continue to drop.I think i may
have been letting it get too much on the dry side ? .
If this one goes in the dustbin it will be the last one i try and grow as
i have had 2 in the past and found them very difficult to grow!
Any thoughts?

Are you using rain water? They do not like hard water.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-01-2008, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"keith kent" wrote
Hi , i have a Gardenia jasmonoides that was in flower when i got it,the
flower buds that were left died off, they went brown and dry.Now the
leaves are turning yellow in places then going brown and drop off.There
are new leaves appearing,but some leaves continue to drop.I think i may
have been letting it get too much on the dry side ? .
If this one goes in the dustbin it will be the last one i try and grow as
i have had 2 in the past and found them very difficult to grow!
Any thoughts?

Are you using rain water? They do not like hard water.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Hi Bob, i do use rain water/fertilizer, min temp 60 c growing it in my
living room.I think it is one plant that will beat me!
Thanks Keith

Old 21-01-2008, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"keith kent" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"keith kent" wrote
Hi , i have a Gardenia jasmonoides that was in flower when i got it,the
flower buds that were left died off, they went brown and dry.Now the
leaves are turning yellow in places then going brown and drop off.There
are new leaves appearing,but some leaves continue to drop.I think i may
have been letting it get too much on the dry side ? .
If this one goes in the dustbin it will be the last one i try and grow
as i have had 2 in the past and found them very difficult to grow!
Any thoughts?

Are you using rain water? They do not like hard water.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Hi Bob, i do use rain water/fertilizer, min temp 60 c growing it in my
living room.I think it is one plant that will beat me!
Thanks Keith

I may have found the answer ? i used a general purpose feed and not a acid
plant feed.I have some i use for my Rhododendruns/Azaleas i will use this
in the future,so looks like a may have poisoned it.
Thanks keith

Old 21-01-2008, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"keith kent" wrote after "Bob Hobden" replied
"keith kent" wrote
[...]

Give it a good flush through with clean rainwater then start again. I had a
beautiful standard Gardenia for a few years but it eventually turned up it's
toes, I still don't know why.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-01-2008, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

keith kent wrote:
Hi , i have a Gardenia jasmonoides that was in flower when i got
it,the flower buds that were left died off, they went brown and
dry.Now the leaves are turning yellow in places then going brown and
drop off.There are new leaves appearing,but some leaves continue to
drop.I think i may have been letting it get too much on the dry side
? . If this one goes in the dustbin it will be the last one i try and
grow as i have had 2 in the past and found them very difficult to
grow! Any thoughts?
Thanks Keith

Gardenia jasminoides used to my "bęte noire" (can a plant be a "bęte"?).
After losing 4 of them, I worked out that it needs:

a) a damp atmosphere.
b) regular watering, but it must not become soaking wet for more than a day
or two at most. Don't allow it to stand in water to any depth. Never allow
it to dry out.
c) good light, but not direct sun.
d) a temperature which doesn't fall below 10°C.

Mine grows, and flowers happily, on a west to north-west facing bathroom
window. Occasional tomato-type (ie high potassium) fertiliser may be of
benefit.

I water mine with ordinary tap water which has been through the heating
system and allowed to cool. In other words, hopefully at least some of the
hardness will have been removed. I don't bother with rainwater, as it
doesn't seem to mind.

Yes, it's fussy and difficult. But when it performs well, it is one of the
world's great flower scents. And, without doubt, one of the purest white
flowers you will ever see.

By the way, if you have trouble with the usual double-flowered Gardenia
jasminoides, see if you can find G.j. "Kleim's hardy". It isn't hardy
(don't leave it outside!), but it's a lot tougher than the usual one. It
also only has single flowers. But it has the scent.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 22-01-2008, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
keith kent wrote:
[...]

Thanks For the response Guy`s.
This has been the toughest plant i have grown!
Thanks Keith

History And Care Of Gardenia Plants And Gardenia Flowers BobWalsh Gardening 12 19-02-2012 04:30 AM
Trouble ID'ing lawn trouble GaryM Gardening 0 24-05-2004 10:05 PM
gardenia trouble David Shalita Gardening 1 20-04-2003 06:08 PM
gardenia help req ŃňDdĄ Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Gardenia Susan Gardening 2 02-03-2003 05:39 AM