Old 26-01-2008, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cheap sources of wood to make raised beds...?

Does anyone have any tips on sources of planks to make raised beds?
Preferably cheap / free and in or near Manchester?

Cheers

Ta

Mike
Old 26-01-2008, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mikey" wrote in message
Does anyone have any tips on sources of planks to make raised beds?
Preferably cheap / free and in or near Manchester?

Cheers

Ta

Mike

Don't know about your area Mike but around here (Milton Keynes) a
tour around the industrial estates comes up with a mountain of the stuff,
mainly pallets that can be broken down and used for whatever.
All free
Possibly the same where you are.
HTH

Wally

Old 26-01-2008, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message

"Mikey" wrote in message
Does anyone have any tips on sources of planks to make raised beds?
Preferably cheap / free and in or near Manchester?

Cheers

Ta

Mike

Don't know about your area Mike but around here (Milton Keynes) a
tour around the industrial estates comes up with a mountain of the stuff,
mainly pallets that can be broken down and used for whatever.
All free
Possibly the same where you are.
HTH

Wally

Also some building firms dump planks that are past their sell by date for
safety but will do for the garden and they may drop them off for you if you
ask

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments
Best Allotment Site in Plymouth

Old 27-01-2008, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
"Wally" wrote in message
"Mikey" wrote in message
Does anyone have any tips on sources of planks to make raised beds?
Preferably cheap / free and in or near Manchester?

Cheers

Ta

Mike

Don't know about your area Mike but around here (Milton Keynes) a
tour around the industrial estates comes up with a mountain of the stuff,
mainly pallets that can be broken down and used for whatever.
All free
Possibly the same where you are.
HTH

Wally

Also some building firms dump planks that are past their sell by date for
safety but will do for the garden and they may drop them off for you if you
ask

Yeah...that's the sort of thing I was thinking of, old floorboards or
similar, but I guess if they're not rotten, they don't throw them out.
We just don't get the same quality of skip up here in the north!
Old 27-01-2008, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:04:28 +0000, Mikey wrote
(in article ):

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
"Wally" wrote in message
"Mikey" wrote in message
Does anyone have any tips on sources of planks to make raised beds?
Preferably cheap / free and in or near Manchester?

Don't know about your area Mike but around here (Milton Keynes) a
tour around the industrial estates comes up with a mountain of the stuff,
mainly pallets that can be broken down and used for whatever.
All free
Possibly the same where you are.

Also some building firms dump planks that are past their sell by date for
safety but will do for the garden and they may drop them off for you if you
ask

Yeah...that's the sort of thing I was thinking of, old floorboards or
similar, but I guess if they're not rotten, they don't throw them out.
We just don't get the same quality of skip up here in the north!

Try a scaffolding company. We had some old scaffolding planks to make raised
beds; they can't use them when they start to get rotten for obvious safety
reasons!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 28-01-2008, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sally Thompson wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:04:28 +0000, Mikey wrote
(in article ):

Yeah...that's the sort of thing I was thinking of, old floorboards or
similar, but I guess if they're not rotten, they don't throw them out.
We just don't get the same quality of skip up here in the north!

Try a scaffolding company. We had some old scaffolding planks to make raised
beds; they can't use them when they start to get rotten for obvious safety
reasons!

Failing that, you might try your local Freecycle group if you have one.
Unless you eschew all things Yahoo, as I know some people do.
--
Carol
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put
Old 03-02-2008, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Carol Hague wrote:
Sally Thompson wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:04:28 +0000, Mikey wrote
(in article ):

Yeah...that's the sort of thing I was thinking of, old floorboards or
similar, but I guess if they're not rotten, they don't throw them out.
We just don't get the same quality of skip up here in the north!

Try a scaffolding company. We had some old scaffolding planks to make raised
beds; they can't use them when they start to get rotten for obvious safety
reasons!

Failing that, you might try your local Freecycle group if you have one.
Unless you eschew all things Yahoo, as I know some people do.

Thanks for all your replies...I will try and get in touch with some
scaffold firms...Ta!

Mike
Old 20-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Registered User

Whiteheads in Failsworth isnt bad and if your not too far doesnt charge delivery .

readynable1958