Old 28-01-2008, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Banana plants - Overwintering (2)

Bananas - Second Attempt.

Just realised that in my first message I left
out the last sentence . I'll try again in full.

I have a banana plant overwintering in my cold greenhouse.
Most of the leave are drooping and looking tatty
but there are two new ones bursting through.

What should I do - at this time - with the dying leaves?
Cut them off now, or wait until later in the year?

Thank you.

John
Old 28-01-2008, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:29:33 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Bananas - Second Attempt.

Just realised that in my first message I left
out the last sentence . I'll try again in full.

I have a banana plant overwintering in my cold greenhouse.
Most of the leave are drooping and looking tatty
but there are two new ones bursting through.

What should I do - at this time - with the dying leaves?
Cut them off now, or wait until later in the year?

Thank you.

John

Although I do not grow Bananas as such I do grow Ginger Lilies and Cannas
which do much the same sort of thing, a dead or dying leaf in a dry place
which feels dry to the touch can be left alone, but I find if the
atmosphere is damp and warm Botrytus can set in so tidying off the old
leaves is then a good idea. I seem to recall that Bananas can get pretty
manky in winter and still be 100% OK, David Poole would give a much
better and detailed answer so hopefully he will see this!

Charlie.
Many thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

John.
Old 28-01-2008, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Charlie has more or less summed it up, so not much for me to add
except that it is important not to try and tear away dead leaves from
the base. Just cut them neatly otherwise rot can enter at stem level
and quickly travel through the rootstock with fatal results. At this
time of year, it is best to keep your plant virtually dry. Bananas
can't be over-watered when growing strongly in summer and conversely,
they can't be under-watered when being kept cool or cold in winter.