Old 15-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Michael Shaffer

Default Help, overwintering plants aren't looking so good anymore

My water hyacinths and other plant (not sure what it's called) were
thriving up until a few days ago now I'm noticing the leaves are turning
bright yellow and one is even bown. I know they have enough water (duh)
but what else could be wrong? They were growing fast so I don't think
it's the light.. could I be giving them too much light? I leave it on
24/7 (4 shop lights). I think they have enough food too since I threw
some of those plant tablets in there. I don't see why they're dying all
of a sudden..

Any help would be much appreciated..

Mike

Old 15-11-2003, 11:42 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Check for bugs, this may require a hand lens, and check your pH. ~ jan

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:21:47 +0000, Michael Shaffer wrote:

My water hyacinths and other plant (not sure what it's called) were
thriving up until a few days ago now I'm noticing the leaves are turning
bright yellow and one is even bown. I know they have enough water (duh)
but what else could be wrong? They were growing fast so I don't think
it's the light.. could I be giving them too much light? I leave it on
24/7 (4 shop lights). I think they have enough food too since I threw
some of those plant tablets in there. I don't see why they're dying all
of a sudden..

Any help would be much appreciated..

Mike

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 16-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Michael Shaffer

oh yea they aquariums are completely surrounded by tinfoil.. so not sure if
this could be having some adverse affects

Old 16-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Michael Shaffer

I think I found the problem, the stems are covered in aphids. Is there an
easy way to get rid of them?

Old 16-11-2003, 08:22 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:16:15 +0000, Michael Shaffer
wrote:

I think I found the problem, the stems are covered in aphids. Is there an
easy way to get rid of them?

Take the lettuce out of the aquarium and put in a tub. Take some spray
cooking oil and spray the aphids and let it sit on the bugs for about 10
minutes. Rinse with (Dawn) soapy water, and then rinse really really well
before putting back into aquarium if you have fish..... you might try
rinsing them with water only if you don't have Dawn. Repeat this treatment
for 3 times every 3rd day. 3 days after the last treatment report back here
on how treatment worked. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 16-11-2003, 10:02 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
could I be giving them too much light? I leave it on
24/7 (4 shop lights).

Plants evolved under a period of light and a period of darkness. I
personally believe they do better with a period of darkness every day.
Timers are cheap now. Put the lights on a timer - and don't forget to
fertilize them and check them for insect pests.
--
Carol.....