Old 10-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Registered User

Default jasmine dying :(

i have recently recieved two jasmine plants - im not sure what type they are, they are growing around a looped wire and have small white buds. they were close to being thrown out from the shop that sold them. i have repotted them, which desperately needed doing, watered them and put them in a sunny position. there is still quite a bit of green on them, but a lot of dead bits also. does anyone know how i can save them?

thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Registered User

Location: Highlands
Smile

Hi danny22, don't despair, I think you've got a good chance of saving your plants if there's new growth on them. Jasmines can regrow easily from the base and also re-root easily by layering. A botanical plant name and photo would help me to advise you and also an idea of your location in the world. You can send a photo of your jasmine to me if you wish at
You can carefully cut out and remove any dead growth (check the growths not green underneath the bark first) Try not to kill it with kindness ie overwatering. And depending on where you live full sun may be too much for it. Partial or dappled shade in a sheltered position from strong or drying winds. We also need to check that your jasmine has not got the dreaded vine weevil. What have you potted it in with? Have you checked the roots of the plant?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGtips View Post
Hi danny22, don't despair, I think you've got a good chance of saving your plants if there's new growth on them. Jasmines can regrow easily from the base and also re-root easily by layering. A botanical plant name and photo would help me to advise you and also an idea of your location in the world. You can send a photo of your jasmine to me if you wish at
You can carefully cut out and remove any dead growth (check the growths not green underneath the bark first) Try not to kill it with kindness ie overwatering. And depending on where you live full sun may be too much for it. Partial or dappled shade in a sheltered position from strong or drying winds. We also need to check that your jasmine has not got the dreaded vine weevil. What have you potted it in with? Have you checked the roots of the plant?
i have found out from the place they came from that it is 'Chinese Jasmine - Jasmine Polyanthum' I hope that helps! I repotted them in compost as it was all i had available, and the roots looked healthy i think - cramped from the small pot but not rotten or anything. i live in the northeast of england, so seeing the sun at all is a luxury! i have had them in the conservatory today, but it isn't hot in there, just pleasantly warm and very sunny. id best move them if its gonna be too bright!

i have seen others in full bloom and i would hate to see these two die just because they were neglected before! is there anything i should have looked for with the roots? and what is vine weevil?

thank you!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Registered User

oh, a couple of other things. a friend advised me to spray the leaves twice a day, so i have been. is that wrong? and all of the stems look to be green, except around the bases it looks like bark - not rotten, just like brown bark. does that mean it has died at the bottom? its just about half an inch, and everything after the brown bit is green

Jasmine dying back Sean2525 Gardening 0 30-04-2017 08:47 AM
dying jasmine - please help H Ryder United Kingdom 1 20-02-2006 05:16 PM
Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
transplanting night blooming jasmine Zemedelec Gardening 4 28-02-2003 06:03 PM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM