Old 04-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Registered User

Default Morning Glory

I am having trouble growing this supposedly easy climber. Starting the seeds in damp general purpose compost on a warm windowcill they soon germinate. However shortly after the first leaves open they turn yellow and die. I have checked the root of the dead seedlings and it looks healthly not rotten. All my other flower and veg seed are started exactly the same and never have a problem but this happens everytime with Morning Glory. Any ideas?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 16:08:45 +0000, Dave Brown
wrote:

I am having trouble growing this supposedly easy climber. Starting the
seeds in damp general purpose compost on a warm windowcill they soon
germinate. However shortly after the first leaves open they turn yellow
and die. I have checked the root of the dead seedlings and it looks
healthly not rotten. All my other flower and veg seed are started
exactly the same and never have a problem but this happens everytime
with Morning Glory. Any ideas?

You are sowing too early. Wait a month and try again, and then maybe
sow at weekly intervals for another month. They don't do well until
it is warmer. You have found how quickly they germinate. Try several
sowings, and don't put them out until it is MUCH warmer.
I've learned this in the same way you have done!

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Registered User

Thank you both, Dave.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news

--
Dave Brown

I've had exactly the same happen, yet the miserable single survivor managed
to self-sow. The self-set plant beside a wall did far better than any of the
same year's deliberate plantings.

Duncan

Old 07-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Registered User

Ye, i agree, youre sowing way too early, ive had too many bad experiences! Remember, as obvious as it is, if you are sowing from seed, always read the packet info and stay within the recommended guidelines!