Old 09-03-2008, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bark chips - turning them into something useful.

About five or six years ago I was taken with the idea of spreading bark
chips about the beds as an alternative to actually doing any gardening.
Quickly realising my folly the plastic sacks of bark chips were stacked
against the garage wall and left there.

This year I am resolved to get tidied up and thought that the six year old
bark chips would probably have become something like compost but on opening
the top sack I find only old damp bark chips. Are they totally
indestructible? Could I put them on the compost heap? Would they burn? How
am I to dispose of them? Do they have any useful purpose?

Tim w

Old 09-03-2008, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/3/08 14:14, in article , "Tim
W" wrote:

About five or six years ago I was taken with the idea of spreading bark
chips about the beds as an alternative to actually doing any gardening.
Quickly realising my folly the plastic sacks of bark chips were stacked
against the garage wall and left there.

This year I am resolved to get tidied up and thought that the six year old
bark chips would probably have become something like compost but on opening
the top sack I find only old damp bark chips. Are they totally
indestructible? Could I put them on the compost heap? Would they burn? How
am I to dispose of them? Do they have any useful purpose?

Tim w

I think leaving them in a corner to rot down might be your best bet. Can't
hurt to try it!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-03-2008, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 14:14:16 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

About five or six years ago I was taken with the idea of spreading bark
chips about the beds as an alternative to actually doing any gardening.
Quickly realising my folly the plastic sacks of bark chips were stacked
against the garage wall and left there.

This year I am resolved to get tidied up and thought that the six year old
bark chips would probably have become something like compost but on opening
the top sack I find only old damp bark chips. Are they totally
indestructible? Could I put them on the compost heap? Would they burn? How
am I to dispose of them? Do they have any useful purpose?

Tim w

Yes I would empty them onto the compost heap, or better still pile
them up somewhere else, let the weather get to them and pee on them
when you can. With patience you'll have some good stuff to spread
around. It makes good paths for veg gardens etc, and will gradually
decompose there too.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes I would empty them onto the compost heap, or better still pile
them up somewhere else, let the weather get to them and pee on them
when you can. With patience you'll have some good stuff to spread
around. It makes good paths for veg gardens etc, and will gradually
decompose there too.

Pam in Bristol

There was a lot of digging going on in the cemetery when all of
a sudden a man was dug up playing the piano backwards.

It was Johann Sebastian Bach decomposing.

Sorry, couldn't resist it )

Wally

Old 09-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
About five or six years ago I was taken with the idea of spreading bark
chips about the beds as an alternative to actually doing any gardening.
Quickly realising my folly the plastic sacks of bark chips were stacked
against the garage wall and left there.

This year I am resolved to get tidied up and thought that the six year old
bark chips would probably have become something like compost but on opening
the top sack I find only old damp bark chips. Are they totally
indestructible? Could I put them on the compost heap? Would they burn? How
am I to dispose of them? Do they have any useful purpose?

Tim w
I tend to use them as pathways. They do eventually rot into the ground. Seem to take forever tho'

Old 10-03-2008, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 9 Mar, 22:48, wind'n'stone
wrote:
Tim W;778145 Wrote:

[...]

wind'n'stone- Hide quoted text -

Whats wrong with using them as a mulch under shrubs and around
perenials, where they wont be seen for most of the year?
David hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 10-03-2008, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:

Whats wrong with using them as a mulch under shrubs and around
perenials, where they wont be seen for most of the year?
David hill
Abacus Nurseries

Bloody blackbirds - that's the problem. Those little devils (and I do love
to hear them sing) fling bark chippings everywhere. No so bad if you have a
lawn or solid path, but if you have gravel or granite chippings, you'll be
forever sweeping them (or using a lawn blower) to get the bark chippings
back on the border.

Of course, the next day the blackbirds will have flung them all over the
place again.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 10-03-2008, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 Wally wrote:
Yes I would empty them onto the compost heap, or better still pile
them up somewhere else, let the weather get to them and pee on them
when you can. With patience you'll have some good stuff to spread
around. It makes good paths for veg gardens etc, and will gradually
decompose there too.
Pam in Bristol

There was a lot of digging going on in the cemetery when all of
a sudden a man was dug up playing the piano backwards.

It was Johann Sebastian Bach decomposing.

Hmm, I don't believe you. The piano wasn't in use in Bach's time.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 10-03-2008, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 Sacha wrote:

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 Wally wrote:
Yes I would empty them onto the compost heap, or better still pile
them up somewhere else, let the weather get to them and pee on them
when you can. With patience you'll have some good stuff to spread
around. It makes good paths for veg gardens etc, and will gradually
decompose there too.
Pam in Bristol

There was a lot of digging going on in the cemetery when all of
a sudden a man was dug up playing the piano backwards.

It was Johann Sebastian Bach decomposing.

Hmm, I don't believe you. The piano wasn't in use in Bach's time.

Square piano was?

Nope. It was the harpsichord as a concert instrument and the clavichord
as a domestic instrument. The (generally accepted) inventor of the piano
was Bartolomeo Cristofori (1655-1731), who produced his first piano in
1709. It was slow in catching on but the German organ-builder and
clavichord maker Silbermann built two pianos in the late 1720s and
submitted them to Bach for his comments. Bach hurt him by pointing out
serious defects. However, although Silbermann improved the instrument
and Bach was able to play on those owned by Frederick the Great (and was
thus more complimentary), nevertheless it was not an instrument to which
Bach was drawn and he never used one in his performances.

Bach was more interested in the tuning of keyboard instruments and
championed what was known as "equal-temperament" which made it possible
to play in all twelve major and all twelve minor keys for the first time
and for which he wrote the "48 Preludes and Fugues" (two sets in each of
the major and minor keys).

....... well, you did ask!

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 10-03-2008, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 Wally wrote:
[...]

I was interested so thank you. My ex fil had a square piano which was very
beautiful but I had no idea of its age or origins which was I queried that.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Dave Hill wrote:

Whats wrong with using them as a mulch under shrubs and around
perenials, where they wont be seen for most of the year?
David hill
Abacus Nurseries

Bloody blackbirds - that's the problem. Those little devils (and I do
love to hear them sing) fling bark chippings everywhere. No so bad if you
have a lawn or solid path, but if you have gravel or granite chippings,
you'll be forever sweeping them (or using a lawn blower) to get the bark
chippings back on the border.

Of course, the next day the blackbirds will have flung them all over the
place again.

What little I have used has been around some newly planted fruit. It does
get flung around, I thought by cats shitting in it and then kicking it, I
hadn't spotted any blackbirds.

Thanks for your help

Tim w

Old 11-03-2008, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

The earliest square piano (by Zumpe, a pupil of Silbermann who came to
London) is dated around 1760, ten years after the death of J.S.Bach.

A square piano is certainly a collector's item but I don't know when the
latest models were made. It was soon superseded by the upright.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 11-03-2008, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/3/08 12:48, in article , "David
Rance" wrote:

[...]

I've emailed you the little I know about this one.