Old 05-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Sue Begg

Default Weight of bark chips

Hi, Does anyone know how much bark weighs?

We have 2 suppliers locally - one sells by cubic metre, the other by the
ton. Without a conversion figure it is like trying to compare apples and
oranges and since I need about 12 cu metres a small difference could
make a big impact on my pocket :-))
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply
Old 05-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Teleman

"Sue Begg" wrote in message
Hi, Does anyone know how much bark weighs?

We have 2 suppliers locally - one sells by cubic metre, the other by the
ton. Without a conversion figure it is like trying to compare apples and
oranges and since I need about 12 cu metres a small difference could make
a big impact on my pocket :-))
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply

You tried phoning them and asking ?
I imagine a lot would depend on the size of the
actual "chips" themselves - the smaller the chip, the
more tightly they pack together, and the more each
cubic metre would weigh

Teleman

Old 05-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Teleman" writes:

| You tried phoning them and asking ?
| I imagine a lot would depend on the size of the
| actual "chips" themselves - the smaller the chip, the
| more tightly they pack together, and the more each
| cubic metre would weigh

Er, no. It depends on the SHAPE of the chips. The packing
density is independent of the scale. Yes, there may be (in
practice) a correlation between shapes that pack densely and
a small size, but it is indirect and the type of bark is more
important than the size.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Teleman" wrote in message

"Sue Begg" wrote in message
Hi, Does anyone know how much bark weighs?

We have 2 suppliers locally - one sells by cubic metre, the other by the
ton. Without a conversion figure it is like trying to compare apples and
oranges and since I need about 12 cu metres a small difference could

make
a big impact on my pocket :-))
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply

You tried phoning them and asking ?
I imagine a lot would depend on the size of the
actual "chips" themselves - the smaller the chip, the
more tightly they pack together, and the more each
cubic metre would weigh

Teleman

I would instinctively avoid anyone trying to sell by weight, if its been
raining you will be paying for water! bulk materials like this are nearly
always sold by volume.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 05-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sue Begg contains these words:

Hi, Does anyone know how much bark weighs?

We have 2 suppliers locally - one sells by cubic metre, the other by the
ton. Without a conversion figure it is like trying to compare apples and
oranges and since I need about 12 cu metres a small difference could
make a big impact on my pocket :-))

Sorry - it depends on the density of the bark and the water content.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 05-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Martin Sykes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Teleman" writes:

| You tried phoning them and asking ?
| I imagine a lot would depend on the size of the
| actual "chips" themselves - the smaller the chip, the
| more tightly they pack together, and the more each
| cubic metre would weigh

Er, no. It depends on the SHAPE of the chips. The packing
density is independent of the scale. Yes, there may be (in
practice) a correlation between shapes that pack densely and
a small size, but it is indirect and the type of bark is more
important than the size.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The mix of sizes is important too. The small bits can fill in the gaps
between the larger bits.

Whether they sell it wet or dry will make a big difference too - with weight
you'll end up paying for the water. I'd expect dry wood chips to float so 1
cubic metre would weigh less than a tonne - Google turned up ratios of
between 0.25 and 0.75 so there is a big range but take the middle of 2 cubic
metres = 1 tonne and you won't be far off.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 05-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Martin Sykes

"michael adams" wrote in message

1200 X 250 = 3000,000g = 3000 kg = 3 metric tonnes.

[which seems awfully heavy for what is after all, just over
a 6ft cube of chipped bark ]

But then 1 cubic metre of water weighs 1 tone so a 6ft cube of water would
weight about 5.8 tonnes.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 05-08-2005, 12:52 PM
shazzbat

"Sue Begg" wrote in message
Hi, Does anyone know how much bark weighs?

We have 2 suppliers locally - one sells by cubic metre, the other by the
ton. Without a conversion figure it is like trying to compare apples and
oranges and since I need about 12 cu metres a small difference could
make a big impact on my pocket :-))
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply

Googling "chipped bark" and "bulk density" gives the following
figures in the text preamble to the first link on the page. The
actual link is of no use, simply leading to an Ask.Jeeves listing
of chipped bark suppliers in Scotland.

quote

The bulk density of chipped bark is low (150 - 250 g/ltr)

The density of most woodchip products is in this range. Allow 4 Cu m per
tonne and you won't be far out

Of course the density changes daily according to conditions, so what they do
at ECO is a test weighing each morning to ascertain the density that day.
It's mostly sold by the metree, but the vehicles are weighed out and charged
by weight so you need the conversion figure for that day.

[which seems awfully heavy for what is after all, just over
a 6ft cube of chipped bark ]

That's because a 6ft cube = 6.12 Cu m, not 12.

Steve

Old 05-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

I would instinctively avoid anyone trying to sell by weight, if its been
raining you will be paying for water!

Ditto.

If it hasn't been raining, the supplier no doubt has a hosepipe. I'd go
for the volume-purchase.

Janet.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Brian

"Teleman" wrote in message

"Sue Begg" wrote in message
Hi, Does anyone know how much bark weighs?

We have 2 suppliers locally - one sells by cubic metre, the other by the
ton. Without a conversion figure it is like trying to compare apples and
oranges and since I need about 12 cu metres a small difference could

make
a big impact on my pocket :-))
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply

You tried phoning them and asking ?
I imagine a lot would depend on the size of the
actual "chips" themselves - the smaller the chip, the
more tightly they pack together, and the more each
cubic metre would weigh

Teleman

___________________
Take care. Many suppliers use the 'ton' as a measure of volume rather
than weight. If they fill a ten ton truck level then they often call that
ten tons; whereas the actual weight would be very much less. For true weight
a weighbridge would need to be involved; which is most unlikely.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Sue Begg

In message , Brian
writes

"Teleman" wrote in message

"Sue Begg" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to everyone for your replies. At £40 a cu metre I am having to do
a lot of sweet-talking to hubby but at least I am clearer of what the
options are now
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply
Old 05-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Mike Lyle

Sue Begg wrote:
[..]
Thanks to everyone for your replies. At £40 a cu metre I am having

do a lot of sweet-talking to hubby but at least I am clearer of

what
the options are now

While you're sweet-talking, consider why you want the stuff in the
first place. It looks awful, and has no nutritional value. Earth
should be covered with plants, not refuse the Forestry Commission's
desperate to get rid of.

--
Mike.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Sue Begg

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Sue Begg wrote:
[..]
Thanks to everyone for your replies. At £40 a cu metre I am having

do a lot of sweet-talking to hubby but at least I am clearer of

what
the options are now

While you're sweet-talking, consider why you want the stuff in the
first place. It looks awful, and has no nutritional value. Earth
should be covered with plants, not refuse the Forestry Commission's
desperate to get rid of.

Yes I do agree with you and in a couple of years it will be, but it is a
garden in its first year. The bed is about 35m x 4m and already has over
300 assorted shrubs and perennials in it. (It is probably overplanted
really) but at the moment it has enormous amounts of bare earth and
because the ground has never been garden before, I am getting the last
50 years accumulated seeds all seeing daylight and germinating. In the
space of a couple of weeks it has sprouted a fine crop of rape seed :-((
The bark is the only thing I can think of to keep me sane while waiting
for the plants to spread and cover it. I don't want to put anything too
permanent on as I know I will have to move, divide and swap plants
around once they really start to grow.

--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply
Old 06-08-2005, 02:10 PM
shazzbat

"Sue Begg" wrote in message
In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Sue Begg wrote:
[..]
[...]

Do you want the bark chips just for mulching or is visual appeal a factor.
It seems to me that you would save a bundle by getting contract mulch rather
than bark chips.

What part of the country are you in by the way?

Steve

Old 06-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Sue Begg

In message , shazzbat
writes

"Sue Begg" wrote in message
In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Sue Begg wrote:
[..]
[...]

I'm 30 miles north of Aberdeen.

The visual appeal is a very temporary thing as I hope by next summer (or
certainly the summer after) there won't be any bare ground showing. I
tend to like wild and woolly cottage style beds :-))

All I need really is something that won't become a pest in the future
-therefore anything stony is out. I have used broken slate on another
bed and have found it a nuisance when moving plants as it is quite
difficult to clear a patch and not end up burying any.
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply