Old 16-04-2008, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Small tree identification help needed

My Nan uses to have a tree that I would like to get for our garden.
Unfortunately the person who bought & started to develop the house, after
she moved out, dug up & burnt must of the trees & shrubs in the garden

The tree was between 6 - 7 foot tall and had been at that height for many
years (planted in the ground).
Single trunk with no branching out below its canopy.
The trunk was light brown and between 2 - 3 inches in diameter.
The leaves were glossy and the older leaves were dark green with new leaves
a few shades lighter.
There were leaves on it all year round.
She used to call it an 'Umbrella Tree' but the images I've seen of umbrella
trees on the internet aren't that similar. She might of called it that
because she always had the foliage cut in a dome or umbrella shape.
The diameter of the canopy was about a metre.
It wasn't a blossoming tree but I'm not 100% sure that it didn't have red
flowers in it.

If you could throw some names at me so I can look up some pictures it would
be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Old 16-04-2008, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nevermind... I remembered the leaves looked like laurel leaves, typed laurel
tree into ebay & it came up with some Laurel Bay Trees which look exactly
like my Nan's did. Cheers for the replies to the Ground Elder question...
Windows Mail isn't letting me download any messages from that thread but
I've checked the replies via google.

Dave

. uk...

Old 16-04-2008, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 16, 2:02 pm, Šave wrote:
Nevermind... I remembered the leaves looked like laurel leaves, typed laurel
tree into ebay & it came up with some Laurel Bay Trees which look exactly
like my Nan's did. Cheers for the replies to the Ground Elder question...
Windows Mail isn't letting me download any messages from that thread but
I've checked the replies via google.

Dave

"Šave" wrote in message

. uk...

[...]

You beat me to it but I would have said Bay which I think is the same
as Laurel Bay.
The leaves smell of ehhh Bay (beef stew/cooking herb smell).

Des