Old 17-04-2008, 02:40 PM posted to uk.environment.conservation,scot.birds,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,demon.local

Default Sea Shepherd News Japan Acknowledges Sea Shepherd’s Defense of the Whales

On Apr 16, 1:49*am, Old Codger
wrote:
Sea Shepherd News
News Releases

04/15/2008http://www.seashepherd.org/news/media_080415_3.html

Japan Acknowledges Sea Shepherd’s Defense of the Whales

The Japanese fleet has returned to port in Tokyo with the remains of
551 whales illegally slaughtered in the Southern Ocean Whale
Sanctuary. Of their self allotted quota of 935 whales, the whalers
killed 551. Of their self allotted quota of 50 Fin whales they took
zero and of their self allotted quota of 50 Humpback whales they
killed absolutely none.

Of a total objective of 1035 whales kills they failed to take 484
whales.

“Japan took only 53% of their target,” said Captain Paul Watson. “I
think it is safe to say that the Sea Shepherd crew seriously affected
their profits this season. My crew and I are elated that 484 whales
are now swimming free that would otherwise have been viciously
slaughtered. And we are especially pleased that not a single Fin or
Humpback died and that is a complete victory.”

Japan blamed the failure of its whaling fleet to net little more than
half its target catch this year to “relentless interference” from
environmentalists and described the situation as "regrettable."

"It is truly regrettable that we could not carry out the project as
planned," said Agriculture Deputy Minister Toshiro Shirasu. "Sabotage
by activists is a major factor behind our failure to achieve our
target," a fisheries agency official said.

“The number of whales taken was low of course because of the
sabotage," said Shigeki Takaya, a Fisheries Agency spokesman for
whaling. "We're angry that they can carry out such dangerous
activities, and it doesn't bother them."

Peter Hammarstedt, the second officer on the Sea Shepherd ship Steve
Irwin was amused at that comment.
“Of course it did not bother us that the number of whales killed was
low and we are proud that we stopped them from slaughtering the rest,
and we intend to return again next season to save more whales. Our
crew did a wonderful job this year and we are pleased that we have
cost the Japanese whalers so much money and trouble. We hope to hurt
them even harder next year,” he said.

The Japanese have reported that the Australian government is
investigating “crimes” by Sea Shepherd against their whaling
activities. If this is so then no one with Sea Shepherd knows anything
about it. Sea Shepherd crew have not been questioned nor have police
inspected the Steve Irwin.

“The Japanese whalers figure that if they keep calling us criminals
then people will think we are criminals,” said Captain Paul Watson.
“The truth is that it is the Japanese who are acting illegally by
targeting endangered whales in a whale sanctuary in violation of a
global moratorium on commercial whaling.”

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is working to raise the funding
to return to the Southern Ocean again in December 2008 for a fifth
campaign to oppose illegal Japanese whaling. This season the Japanese
killed only 53%. Last year they took only 51% and the year before that
Sea Shepherd prevented them from killing 84 whales or 10%.

Since interventions by the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society the
Japanese have consistently failed to reach their quotas.

“If we can get the support to secure a 2nd ship, we will be able to
keep the Japanese whaling fleet on the run continuously and if we can
do that we can prevent them from taking any a whales at all,” said
Captain Watson. “My goal is to save 100% of the whales that the
Japanese want to kill in the Southern Whale Sanctuary.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
P.O. Box 2616, Friday Harbor, WA 98250 (USA) Tel:**************360...*******Fax:
360-370-5651
Copyright © 2008 Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. All rights
reserved.

Thanks for posting this.
Old 17-04-2008, 04:30 PM posted to uk.environment.conservation,scot.birds,uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching,demon.local

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 06:40:26 -0700 (PDT), Holly
wrote:

On Apr 16, 1:49Â*am, Old Codger
wrote:
[...]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Â*-----
P.O. Box 2616, Friday Harbor, WA 98250 (USA) Tel:Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*360...Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Fax:
360-370-5651
Copyright © 2008 Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. All rights
reserved.

Thanks for posting this.

Thank you.

Sea Shepherd Announces: Seal Defense Campaign 2008! Sea ShepherdCrew to Shift from the Southern Ice to the Northern Ice [email protected] United Kingdom 1 06-04-2008 08:41 AM
[IBC] TREASURY ACKNOWLEDGES Lynn Boyd Bonsai 0 01-10-2005 05:20 AM
[IBC] TREASURY ACKNOWLEDGES Lynn Boyd Bonsai 0 25-09-2005 07:12 PM
OT sea to shining sea KenCo Ponds 0 21-11-2003 03:13 AM
[IBC] Fw: kilns in japan, from a Japan-studied pottery professional. dalecochoy Bonsai 1 10-02-2003 05:26 PM