Old 28-04-2008, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garage Wall

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:

| Alternatively I would like fruit of some kind - not pears - would any work
| in this location?

I recommend damsons - decorative, tough, delicious and hard to buy.
My Farleigh Prune is an upright, and I keep it at c. 10' high.

Crab apples would be good, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-04-2008, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

I recommend damsons - decorative, tough, delicious and hard to buy.
My Farleigh Prune is an upright, and I keep it at c. 10' high.

Crab apples would be good, too.

Thanks Nick

What sort of "forward" spread would be likely for damsons/crab apples and
how controllable is this?
Do you have to net your damsons to protect from birds/pests?

Phil

Old 28-04-2008, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:

| What sort of "forward" spread would be likely for damsons/crab apples and
| how controllable is this?

It depends on the variety (i.e. growth habit). 6-12" for some;
1-2' for others. If pruned and trained for narrowness, of course.

| Do you have to net your damsons to protect from birds/pests?

No, but this is Cambridge.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-04-2008, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

| Do you have to net your damsons to protect from birds/pests?

No, but this is Cambridge.

Not sure I understand the implication here!
Does this mean you have more considerate and educated wildlife down there
which only eat foodstuffs placed in specific feeders marked "Bird Feed" for
instance?

Phil

Old 28-04-2008, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:

| | Do you have to net your damsons to protect from birds/pests?
|
| No, but this is Cambridge.
|
| Not sure I understand the implication here!
| Does this mean you have more considerate and educated wildlife down there
| which only eat foodstuffs placed in specific feeders marked "Bird Feed" for
| instance?

Try "damn few birds".

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-04-2008, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

SNIP

Have you considered a fig tree? Nothing like freshly picked figs at the end
of a barbecue, we had some last summer. Less than 5 minutes old, and food
metres = 5.

And have you noticed there are no fig roll biscuits in the shops this year?
Last years Californian fig crop failed, so my favourite biccy is off the
menu :-((

Steve

Old 29-04-2008, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"shazzbat" writes:
| "TheScullster" wrote in message
| . uk...
|
| Have you considered a fig tree? Nothing like freshly picked figs at the end
| of a barbecue, we had some last summer. Less than 5 minutes old, and food
| metres = 5.

Sun half the day isn't good for figs in the UK - you really need the
best sun-trap you can get. They would grow, no problem, but would
they ripen fruit?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-04-2008, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
"Nick Maclaren" wrote

SNIP

Have you considered a fig tree? Nothing like freshly picked figs at the end
of a barbecue, we had some last summer. Less than 5 minutes old, and food
metres = 5.

And have you noticed there are no fig roll biscuits in the shops this year?
Last years Californian fig crop failed, so my favourite biccy is off the
menu :-((

Steve

Figs are tasty, but damsons are extra tasty, I'd go for damsons! As it
is East facing I would have thought it might have a frost problem, not
sure how the figs would fare there, mind you damsons don't like frost
when in flower!
Old 29-04-2008, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
I'll see if I can talk er-indoors into trying the fruit route.

Phil