Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MW MW is offline

Default asparagus seedlings : plant out or pot on?

Hi

To save money, rather than buying crowns, I sowed a lot of asparagus
seed a month or two back. They are all doing well, about 50 of them,
mostly about 3-4 inches high, frail frondy things, although a few are
poking up tiny wee spears.

So - should I plant out soon? Or pot on and keep them in pots for
another year before planting out next spring?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MW" wrote in message
Hi

To save money, rather than buying crowns, I sowed a lot of asparagus
seed a month or two back. They are all doing well, about 50 of them,
mostly about 3-4 inches high, frail frondy things, although a few are
poking up tiny wee spears.

So - should I plant out soon? Or pot on and keep them in pots for
another year before planting out next spring?

I have done the same and planted out into a prepared bed and
all seem to be doing very well after about three weeks.

I'm no expert and not sure if I have done the right thing but so far
so good and fingers crossed

Wally

Old 02-05-2008, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

MW wrote:

Hi

To save money, rather than buying crowns, I sowed a lot of asparagus
seed a month or two back. They are all doing well, about 50 of them,
mostly about 3-4 inches high, frail frondy things, although a few are
poking up tiny wee spears.

So - should I plant out soon? Or pot on and keep them in pots for
another year before planting out next spring?

I have some of these too, as well as a few potted ones bought in, and some
year old crowns on order. The beds not sorted yet but as soon as it i'll
be planting them all out. I did want some two year old crowns but have
heard they suffer more from transplant shock so maybe it's best to get them
in the ground asap.

Duncan
Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-05-02 10:32:18 +0100, dr said:

MW wrote:

Hi

To save money, rather than buying crowns, I sowed a lot of asparagus
seed a month or two back. They are all doing well, about 50 of them,
mostly about 3-4 inches high, frail frondy things, although a few are
poking up tiny wee spears.

So - should I plant out soon? Or pot on and keep them in pots for
another year before planting out next spring?

I have some of these too, as well as a few potted ones bought in, and some
year old crowns on order. The beds not sorted yet but as soon as it i'll
be planting them all out. I did want some two year old crowns but have
heard they suffer more from transplant shock so maybe it's best to get them
in the ground asap.

Growing asparagus for the first time and I'm shocked by how my 1yr old
crowns have shot up to well over 12ins in about 3 weeks. Very spindly
though and I've managed to snap one with my elbow while weeding -- but
hopefully it will keep growing. Two weeks ago I had the bright idea of
putting platic bell cloches over each of the plants to protect them
from the rabbits -- but I had hardly turned my back and the asparagus
had outgrown the cloches and started spiralling around inside. Removed
the cloches and it seems the rabbits don't much care for asparagus
anyway. Most of the plants are now turning into frothy little bushes,
which I assume they are supposed to do.