Old 06-05-2008, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID a tree please

In message , cyberydne
writes

Hi, could anyone please tell me the name of the tree / shrub below
please. It is currently about twenty foot in height and grows
approximately six foot a year, which we cut back.

Thank you in advance for any help.

http://tinyurl.com/477gwe

It might help if you gave the full URL - the firewall here has decided
to take a dislike to tinyurl.com.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-05-2008, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:
| In message , cyberydne
| writes
|
| Hi, could anyone please tell me the name of the tree / shrub below
| please. It is currently about twenty foot in height and grows
| approximately six foot a year, which we cut back.
|
| Thank you in advance for any help.
|
| http://tinyurl.com/477gwe
|
| It might help if you gave the full URL - the firewall here has decided
| to take a dislike to tinyurl.com.

http://img11.imagevenue.com/img.php?...122_1107lo.jpg

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Registered User

Question ID a tree please

Old 06-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberydne View Post
Hi, could anyone please tell me the name of the tree / shrub below please. It is currently about twenty foot in height and grows approximately six foot a year, which we cut back.

Thank you in advance for any help.

http://img11.imagevenue.com/img.php?...122_1107lo.jpg

It looks like a yew, though the six foot growth a year is exceptional even for a yew.

Do you have a photograph of its trunk and/or bark?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/5/08 19:32, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , cyberydne
writes

Hi, could anyone please tell me the name of the tree / shrub below
please. It is currently about twenty foot in height and grows
approximately six foot a year, which we cut back.

Thank you in advance for any help.

http://tinyurl.com/477gwe

It might help if you gave the full URL - the firewall here has decided
to take a dislike to tinyurl.com.

It would certainly help to know the location if it grows 6'a year! At a
cursory glance it looks like a Jacaranda mimosifolia but not at 6' a year in
UK!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 6/5/08 19:32, in article , "Stewart Robert
| Hinsley" wrote:
| In message , cyberydne
| writes
|
| Hi, could anyone please tell me the name of the tree / shrub below
| please. It is currently about twenty foot in height and grows
| approximately six foot a year, which we cut back.
|
| Thank you in advance for any help.
|
| http://tinyurl.com/477gwe
|
| It might help if you gave the full URL - the firewall here has decided
| to take a dislike to tinyurl.com.
|
| It would certainly help to know the location if it grows 6'a year! At a
| cursory glance it looks like a Jacaranda mimosifolia but not at 6' a year in
| UK!

And whether it is deciduous or evergreen. I took it for one of the
anomalous conifers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

The focus is somewhat out, but there's just enough detail to see the
very finely bipinnate foliage characteristic of Acacia dealbata. The
silvery stems and young shoots give it away, even if impression is of
the plant being greener than that species normally appears. Regular,
hard pruning would account for this in any case and the op writes it
is pruned back by 6ft. every year. If major pruning is carried out at
any other time than immediately after the normal flowering period,
then there will be few or no flowers for the following year. I
suspect this is hard pruned in summer/early autumn, hence no flowers
being reported. If pruning is carried out in March, then the ensuing
growth will have the opportunity to ripen and develop flower buds,
which will open during late winter/early spring of the next year.
Left to its own devices, this tree would be a mass of brilliant yellow
in December, January or February each year.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 6/5/08 19:32, in article , "Stewart Robert
| Hinsley" wrote:
| In message , cyberydne
| writes
|
| Hi, could anyone please tell me the name of the tree / shrub below
| please. It is currently about twenty foot in height and grows
| approximately six foot a year, which we cut back.
|
| Thank you in advance for any help.
|
| http://tinyurl.com/477gwe
|
| It might help if you gave the full URL - the firewall here has decided
| to take a dislike to tinyurl.com.
|
| It would certainly help to know the location if it grows 6'a year! At a
| cursory glance it looks like a Jacaranda mimosifolia but not at 6' a year in
| UK!

And whether it is deciduous or evergreen. I took it for one of the
anomalous conifers.

I'd had it as Acacia (dealbata or similar) or Albizia. I hadn't thought
to consider the colour of the twigs (red in Albizia.)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info http://lavateraguy.blogspot.com
Old 07-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post

http://tinyurl.com/477gwe
[/i][/color]
It might help if you gave the full URL - the firewall here has decided
to take a dislike to tinyurl.com.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
I did, someone else changed my post to tinyurl and this is beyond my control as I cannot edit my own posts.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren View Post

| It would certainly help to know the location if it grows 6'a year! At a
| cursory glance it looks like a Jacaranda mimosifolia but not at 6' a year in
| UK!

And whether it is deciduous or evergreen. I took it for one of the
anomalous conifers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
It is in South West London and perhaps I was a little over-generous with its per yearly growth, but it certainly grows around 4 foot.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren View Post
And whether it is deciduous or evergreen. I took it for one of the
anomalous conifers.
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
My apologies, I forgot to add, it is evergreen.

To a previous poster: I do not have a photo of the trunk / bark at the moment sorry but will get one for you.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Poole View Post
[...]
Thank you Dave. [Acacia dealbata]
Having read your very informative reply, I am beginning to think you may be correct. It is indeed pruned every year, but usually around early winter to cut back the summers' over-growth (it can block a window if left untouched). There is indeed a mass of yellow buds on it (not really 'flowers' as such) during the later summer months/early winter months, something which I should have mentioned earlier. However, as I say, the buds only arrive late summer, soon after which it is pruned, so they tend to be forgotten about as they are not with us for long.

I will try and get some more photo's and I'll try and remember to post back when it starts to bud/flower.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cyberydne" wrote in message

Hi, could anyone please tell me the name of the tree / shrub below
please. It is currently about twenty foot in height and grows
approximately six foot a year, which we cut back.

Thank you in advance for any help.

http://tinyurl.com/477gwe

Looks like an acacia to me.

Mary

Old 07-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberydne View Post
My apologies, I forgot to add, it is evergreen.

To a previous poster: I do not have a photo of the trunk / bark at the moment sorry but will get one for you.

Also, does it have thorns?