Old 22-05-2008, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What area of land is needed to feed a family?

What area of land is needed to feed a typical family?
--
Chris
Old 22-05-2008, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris wrote:
What area of land is needed to feed a typical family?

10 poles.

*chuckle*

Standard allotments are 10 poles, or about 250 square metres. This
standard size was calculated as the right size to feed two adults and
two children.

--
James
Old 22-05-2008, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

On 2008-05-22 15:24:56 +0100, JamesB said:

Chris wrote:
What area of land is needed to feed a typical family?

10 poles.

*chuckle*

Standard allotments are 10 poles, or about 250 square metres. This
standard size was calculated as the right size to feed two adults and
two children.

You're not going to keep many beef cattle, sheep or pigs on that
though. And I figure my family needs at least two of each per year.

Old 23-05-2008, 02:34 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris[_3_] View Post
What area of land is needed to feed a typical family?
--
Chris
What is a "typical family"?

Charterville in Oxfordshire allowed 2 acres minimum up to 4 acres for each house and allotment. 4 acres was regarded as enabling the chartist to keep a cow
Old 23-05-2008, 06:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , JamesB writes
Chris wrote:
What area of land is needed to feed a typical family?

10 poles.
*chuckle*
Standard allotments are 10 poles, or about 250 square metres. This
standard size was calculated as the right size to feed two adults and
two children.

Thanks for that.
Someone told me that the RHS had managed to do it using a three metre
square of land i.e. nine square metres.
What do you reckon is the practical minimum, given amazingly good
planning?
--
Chris

Old 23-05-2008, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-05-22 15:24:56 +0100, JamesB said:
Chris wrote:
What area of land is needed to feed a typical family?

10 poles.
*chuckle*
Standard allotments are 10 poles, or about 250 square metres. This
standard size was calculated as the right size to feed two adults and
two children.

You're not going to keep many beef cattle, sheep or pigs on that though.
And I figure my family needs at least two of each per year.

Hmm. If I remember correctly, one of HFW's books gives a rough guide.
Failing that, I do have a book called "The Good Life" which is a
fantastic guide to self-sustainability. I'll have a look when I get home.

--
James
Old 23-05-2008, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris wrote:
10 poles.
*chuckle*
Standard allotments are 10 poles, or about 250 square metres. This
standard size was calculated as the right size to feed two adults and
two children.

Thanks for that.
Someone told me that the RHS had managed to do it using a three metre
square of land i.e. nine square metres.
What do you reckon is the practical minimum, given amazingly good planning?

I have a 5 pole and it's more than enough for my partner and I (and the
lot in the pub). However, I don't have produce all year round (yet). I
also don't fully utilise the space at the moment. I think 9m^2 is too
small though.

To be honest, I have no idea on the practical minimum. Depends how much
you like your veggies too.

--
James
Old 23-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris[_3_] View Post
What area of land is needed to feed a typical family?
Before 1850, a lot of Irish people lived on remarkably small areas of land, but they didn't eat much more than potatoes.
Old 23-05-2008, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , beccabunga
writes
'Chris Wrote:
What area of land is needed to feed a typical family?

Also, do you mean this to include cereals and meat, or merely
vegetables and some fruits?

Just veg and fruit.
--
Chris

Old 23-05-2008, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris wrote:
In article , beccabunga
writes
'Chris Wrote:
What area of land is needed to feed a typical family?

Also, do you mean this to include cereals and meat, or merely
vegetables and some fruits?

Just veg and fruit.

I find that spuds take an awful of ground.
Old 27-05-2008, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ], ] says...
In article , JamesB writes
Chris wrote:
What area of land is needed to feed a typical family?

10 poles.
*chuckle*
Standard allotments are 10 poles, or about 250 square metres. This
standard size was calculated as the right size to feed two adults and
two children.

Thanks for that.
Someone told me that the RHS had managed to do it using a three metre
square of land i.e. nine square metres.

They didn't grow food for a typical family, they wanted to show that you
can grow a variety of veg in a small space:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/advice/veg3x3.asp

I have three 1mx3m beds - I've got garlic, shallots, onions, pak choi,
peas, mangetout, broad beans, carrots, rocket, lettuce, spinach, chard,
beetroot, swedes and parsnips coming through or near to harvest, plus a
variety of tubs with potatoes, French beans, tomatoes. I have about 14
'square foot' plots from 81 empty for June planting plus some tubs for
courgettes and squashes; by late June/July the alliums and potatoes
should be ready for harvest and I'll be able to plant more in the
vacated plots. I may not be able to feed the family for long (especially
when the slugs are active) but we'll get a few meals!