Old 04-06-2008, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

Default What's this?

Anybody know what this is? I presume it's a perennial weed of some sort
as it keeps popping up again.

http://www.dentonmiller.net/Site/Stu...6/4_WEEDS.html

Right now, I'm trying to build a raised bed from railway sleepers, and
the area that will be enclosed is full of this stuff, so I want to know
the best way to deal with it.....should I glyphosate it then pull it
all out and just chuck new topsoil over the top, or is it something
that needs to be dug out first?

Old 04-06-2008, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 2008060410341816807-adm1@fastmailfm, adm
writes
Anybody know what this is? I presume it's a perennial weed of some sort
as it keeps popping up again.

http://www.dentonmiller.net/Site/Stu...6/4_WEEDS.html

Right now, I'm trying to build a raised bed from railway sleepers, and
the area that will be enclosed is full of this stuff, so I want to know
the best way to deal with it.....should I glyphosate it then pull it
all out and just chuck new topsoil over the top, or is it something
that needs to be dug out first?

Looks like annual weed to me . Might be rose bay willow herb? Anyway
on no account let it flower or even worse, seed! Should be really easy
to pull up from wet ground or even hoe off.
If it's really a swine to get out of the ground then I'm wrong and it
has long tap roots which you don't want to break. Generally weeds grow
from the tiniest bit of tap root left, if they are perennials.
Annuals are no problem, just how them off at ground level.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-06-2008, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
[...]

Looks like one of the smaller willowherbs rather than rose bay
(Incidentally, rose-bay isn't annual, it's perennial with dying down top
growth). Glyphosate should kill it.
--
Kay
Old 04-06-2008, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

Looks like one of the smaller willowherbs rather than rose bay
(Incidentally, rose-bay isn't annual, it's perennial with dying down
top growth). Glyphosate should kill it.

Of course I meant to say ...Or might be rosebay willow herb
Kay's your expert here so i shall bow to her knowledge.

Janet
Old 04-06-2008, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

On 2008-06-04 16:23:13 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , K
writes

Looks like one of the smaller willowherbs rather than rose bay
(Incidentally, rose-bay isn't annual, it's perennial with dying down
top growth). Glyphosate should kill it.

Of course I meant to say ...Or might be rosebay willow herb
Kay's your expert here so i shall bow to her knowledge.

Janet

Some for of willowherb is good enough for me! Thanks both.

Glyphosate applied.....

Old 04-06-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adm" wrote in message
Anybody know what this is? I presume it's a perennial weed of some sort as
it keeps popping up again.

http://www.dentonmiller.net/Site/Stu...6/4_WEEDS.html

Right now, I'm trying to build a raised bed from railway sleepers, and the
area that will be enclosed is full of this stuff, so I want to know the
best way to deal with it.....should I glyphosate it then pull it all out
and just chuck new topsoil over the top, or is it something that needs to
be dug out first?

Looks like broad leaved willowherb, an annual. Don't let it seed. It's easy
to pull out.

Mary

Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adm" wrote in message
Anybody know what this is? I presume it's a perennial weed of some sort as
it keeps popping up again.

http://www.dentonmiller.net/Site/Stu...6/4_WEEDS.html

Right now, I'm trying to build a raised bed from railway sleepers, and the
area that will be enclosed is full of this stuff, so I want to know the
best way to deal with it.....should I glyphosate it then pull it all out
and just chuck new topsoil over the top, or is it something that needs to
be dug out first?

It's a willowherb, maybe broadleaved wh, just pull it up if it offends you
and not get too excited about it. It's not necessary to blast it with
chemicals. It's an inoffensive wild plant.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

On 2008-06-05 00:03:52 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"adm" wrote in message
Anybody know what this is? I presume it's a perennial weed of some sort as
it keeps popping up again.

http://www.dentonmiller.net/Site/Stu...6/4_WEEDS.html

Right now, I'm trying to build a raised bed from railway sleepers, and the
area that will be enclosed is full of this stuff, so I want to know the
best way to deal with it.....should I glyphosate it then pull it all out
and just chuck new topsoil over the top, or is it something that needs to
be dug out first?

It's a willowherb, maybe broadleaved wh, just pull it up if it offends you
and not get too excited about it. It's not necessary to blast it with
chemicals. It's an inoffensive wild plant.

I'm not offended by it particularly - it's just in the wrong
place......and it spreads very quickly, so it has to go!