Old 06-06-2008, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Default What to do after new potatoes are lifted?

I currently have one of my beds on the allotment growing new (early)
potatoes which I expect to harvest beginning the end of June and
throughout July. Next season, this bed will be given over to onions and
root groups as part of my crop rotation plan.

So from August onwards, when all the early potatoes are dug out, should
I just leave this bed fallow until next season (apart from weeding) or
is there anything useful I should be doing with it in the intervening
period?

This is my first year on the allotment, so any advice from experienced
vegetable growers would be very much appreciated.

Ed

Old 06-06-2008, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
I currently have one of my beds on the allotment growing new (early)
potatoes which I expect to harvest beginning the end of June and throughout
July. Next season, this bed will be given over to onions and root groups
as part of my crop rotation plan.

So from August onwards, when all the early potatoes are dug out, should I
just leave this bed fallow until next season (apart from weeding) or is
there anything useful I should be doing with it in the intervening period?

This is my first year on the allotment, so any advice from experienced
vegetable growers would be very much appreciated.

Ed

Over wintering onion sets would fit in nicely with your rotation

Old 06-06-2008, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Robert \(Plymouth\)" writes:
| "Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
| et...
| I currently have one of my beds on the allotment growing new (early)
| potatoes which I expect to harvest beginning the end of June and throughout
| July. Next season, this bed will be given over to onions and root groups
| as part of my crop rotation plan.
|
| So from August onwards, when all the early potatoes are dug out, should I
| just leave this bed fallow until next season (apart from weeding) or is
| there anything useful I should be doing with it in the intervening period?
|
| Over wintering onion sets would fit in nicely with your rotation

Or 'oriental' greens and salad crops for autumn/winter, including mizuna,
spinach and (if you are lucky) turnip and beetroot for harvesting small.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
I currently have one of my beds on the allotment growing new (early)
potatoes which I expect to harvest beginning the end of June and throughout
July. Next season, this bed will be given over to onions and root groups
as part of my crop rotation plan.

So from August onwards, when all the early potatoes are dug out, should I
just leave this bed fallow until next season (apart from weeding) or is
there anything useful I should be doing with it in the intervening period?

This is my first year on the allotment, so any advice from experienced
vegetable growers would be very much appreciated.

Ed

Get a late crop in as suggested.

You may also want to keep an eye on theses two sevices - Fight Against
Blight and Blight Watch - both very uesful.

http://www.potato.org.uk/department/...ght/index.html
http://www.bligh****ch.co.uk/content/bw-Home.asp

Sign up to Fight Against Blight and you can then sign up for e-mail or SMS
warnings of potential blight infection periods at Blight Watch.