Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Registered User

Question Please help if you can recognise these plants 3/3

Photo No: 0013

Photo No: 0022

Photo No: 0029

Photo No: 0040

Photo No: 0058

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Please help if you can recognise these plants 3/3-dscn0013.jpg   Please help if you can recognise these plants 3/3-dscn0022.jpg   Please help if you can recognise these plants 3/3-dscn0029.jpg   Please help if you can recognise these plants 3/3-dscn0040.jpg   Please help if you can recognise these plants 3/3-dscn0058.jpg

Old 08-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Registered User

Photo No: 0013 Campanula portenschlagiana

Photo No: 0022 Snow in Summer - Cerastium tomentosum

Photo No: 0029 dahlia

Photo No: 0040 a chrysanthemum of some kind

Photo No: 0058 Erigeron karvinskianus
Old 08-06-2008, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please help if you can recognise these plants 1/3

In message , Hibiscus
writes

Filename: DSCN7354.JPG

|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9306|

Possibly kidney vetch (Anthyllis vulnaria).

|Filename: DSCN9496.JPG
|

|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9307|

Pelargonium, probably P. x hortorum

|Filename: DSCN9506.JPG
|

|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9308|

Not sure, but it might be an Alstroemeria
|Filename: DSCN9733.JPG
|

|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9309|

A crucifer related to Brassica. Might even be cabbage (Brassica
oleraceus), but yellow-flowered crucifers are difficult.

|Filename: DSCN9951.JPG
|

|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9310|

An umbellifer. I'd like to see the foliage, as that helps distinguish
them, but that one looks like a hogweed (Heracleum sphondylium).

Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 8, 1:10*am, Hibiscus
wrote:
Photo No: 7354

apologies if spellings wrong and the names of all the families tat I
used to know have all been changed but ...

Kidney vetch; Anythllis vulneraria

Photo No: 9496

Very hard to tell from flower (cannot judge scale) but leaves look
like a Pelargonium or non hardy "Geranium"

Photo No: 9506

Photo No: 9733

Some kind of rape/cabbage (Brassica or similar from Cruciferae/
Brassicaceae)
Hard to tell without leaves.

Photo No: 9951

A member of what used to be call Umbelliferae (named now presumably
changed);
it is an umbellifer, probably a wild one. Which one, I cannot easily
tell without seeing leaves or looking at pictures. Common examples
from roadsides and meadows are cow parsely and hedge parsley
(Heracleum and Anthriscus).

|Filename: DSCN7354.JPG * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9306|
|Filename: DSCN9496.JPG * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9307|
|Filename: DSCN9506.JPG * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9308|
|Filename: DSCN9733.JPG * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9309|
|Filename: DSCN9951.JPG * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9310|

Hibiscus

Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 8, 11:10*am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Hibiscus
writes

Filename: DSCN7354.JPG

|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9306|

Possibly kidney vetch (Anthyllis vulnaria).

|Filename: DSCN9496.JPG
|

|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9307|

Pelargonium, probably P. x hortorum

|Filename: DSCN9506.JPG
|

|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9308|

Not sure, but it might be an Alstroemeria

|Filename: DSCN9733.JPG
|

|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9309|

A crucifer related to Brassica. Might even be cabbage (Brassica
oleraceus), but yellow-flowered crucifers are difficult.

|Filename: DSCN9951.JPG
|

|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=9310|

An umbellifer. I'd like to see the foliage, as that helps distinguish
them, but that one looks like a hogweed (Heracleum sphondylium).

Stewart Robert Hinsley

snap for all except one which I could not spot:
Alstroemeria looks right; it is funny how hard it is to tell when the
flowers are so enlarged. Also got my common names for umbellifers
back to front.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Des
Higgins writes

A member of what used to be call Umbelliferae (named now presumably
changed); it is an umbellifer, probably a wild one. Which one, I
cannot easily tell without seeing leaves or looking at pictures. Common
examples from roadsides and meadows are cow parsely and hedge parsley
(Heracleum and Anthriscus).

Umbelliferae remains accepted, but Apiaceae is commonly preferred.

On the point of vernacular names cow parsley is usually applied to
Anthriscus sylvestris; hedge parsley is any of several species of
Torilis, and Heracleum is hogweed. Cow parsley is in its way over by
now, and the common umbellifers currently flowering are hogweed and
ground elder (Aegopodium podagraria)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-06-2008, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:
| In message
| , Des
| Higgins writes
|
| A member of what used to be call Umbelliferae (named now presumably
| changed); it is an umbellifer, probably a wild one. Which one, I
| cannot easily tell without seeing leaves or looking at pictures. Common
| examples from roadsides and meadows are cow parsely and hedge parsley
| (Heracleum and Anthriscus).
|
| Umbelliferae remains accepted, but Apiaceae is commonly preferred.

Er, don't you mean "officially preferred"? Yes, Google has more hits
for the latter, but I think that you will find that most laymen who
use either use the former.

| On the point of vernacular names cow parsley is usually applied to
| Anthriscus sylvestris; ...

Also, loosely, to any of the Umbelliferae that look similar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 8, 12:21*pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:
| In message
| , Des
| Higgins writes
|
| A member of what used to be call Umbelliferae (named now presumably
| changed); it is an umbellifer, probably a wild one. *Which one, I
| cannot easily tell without seeing leaves or looking at pictures. Common
| examples from roadsides and meadows are cow parsely and hedge parsley
| (Heracleum and Anthriscus).
|
| Umbelliferae remains accepted, but Apiaceae is commonly preferred.

Er, don't you mean "officially preferred"? *Yes, Google has more hits
for the latter, but I think that you will find that most laymen who
use either use the former.

| On the point of vernacular names cow parsley is usually applied to
| Anthriscus sylvestris; ...

Also, loosely, to any of the Umbelliferae that look similar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

or any random combination of choose 1: (cow, sow, pig, hedge) and
choose 1: (parsley, weed, parsnip).

Old 08-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Registered User

Thanks!!