Old 27-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Rick McGreal

Default Newbie Weeding question

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

I'm pretty much down to just the odd leaf...But LOTS (And I do mean
lots) or yellow heads....
Thats why I was thinking of mowing them off

Surely if you mow the yellow heads off then they haven't had time to
make and shed seed?

*Blush*

Yes....well.....

I was just checking......B-)
Old 27-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Jeff Coles

I'm no expert, but I have rejuvinated a few lawns for friends and relatives,
first by rakeing and then using a weed and feed treatment ( Evergreen
Complete or B&Q's alternative). If weed problem is large, then a further
treatment of weed and feed will be required, but dont do this withing 2
months of the first treatment.

Regular mowing cures most weed problems.

In October re-seed bare patches and top dress the lawn with a mixture
multipurpose compost and sand and rake well in.

Jeff

"DDEckerslyke" wrote in message
Newbie gardeners. Just moved into a house where the small front lawn (20 -
25 sq m) is about 15 or 20 percent dandelions. Can anyone here either

advise
us what to do, or point us in the direction of a good site/book/resource?

Do
we dig them out? (I had a go at a big one and the root was approximately

2cm
diameter, deeper than I could get, and I've left an impact crater.)Use
weedkiller? (We've got three young kids so we're reluctant to do this. Is
there environmentally and kid friendly weedkiller?)

Thanks in advance

dd