Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default In what order should I grow the following please?

Hi All,

I just got round to making two 8' x 6' areas I hope to call my mini
allotment.

It's previous role was a small rough (back garden) meadow. ;-(

I have been given some runner bean plants and std toms and I intend to
put those in where they (beans) were before for a couple of years
along the West side of a N/S paneled fence (loads of crop the last two
years).

It could be runner beans are my ultimate crop in that they are fairly
prolific, seem quite hardy (even against blackfly), don't take much
looking after and I like the taste. ;-)

Last years spring onions are out there in big tubs and still seem to
be growing well! ;-)

I have also got some small Brussel sprout plants, some cabbage, and
sprouting potatoes waiting to go in.

Still in their packets I have:

Swede (Ruby) May - June
Carrot (Nantes) Mar - July)
Chives / Garlic Mar - May
Radish (French Breakfast 3) Mar - Sept
Lettuce (Saladin) Mar - July
Parsnip (Tender and true) Feb - Mar
Spring Onion (White Lisbon) Mar - July
Onion (Ailsa Craig) year 1 Dec?
and another Lettuce (Salad bowl) mid summer

The two growing areas are across the garden and a paving slab apart so
could someone please advise:

1) What order should I plant the above from back to front (the back
being furthest North). I'm assuming complete 8' rows of plants?

2) Assuming we like all of the above is there anything I shouldn't
really bother with this late in the year (if global warming hasn't
mucked up the schedules already), what is likely to just waste growing
space do you think please?

This is all just an experiment for the daughter and I and if we do get
something we can eat out of it then that will be a bonus. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. A mate has suggested growing the spuds under that black porous
fabric if that makes any difference to the plan for above.