Old 13-06-2008, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leaf identification

Please can anyone suggest what this plant may be. No photo available
at present. It is in a friend's garden. She says it is nothing she
planted.
It is just like a violet leaf, but bigger than any violet I've seen;
about 3 inches across the widest part.
It is growing in a clump as violets do, but no sign of any flowers as
yet.
Any suggestions what I can look up?
TIA

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-06-2008, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 13, 11:51 am, Pam Moore wrote:
Please can anyone suggest what this plant may be. No photo available
at present. It is in a friend's garden. She says it is nothing she
planted.
It is just like a violet leaf, but bigger than any violet I've seen;
about 3 inches across the widest part.
It is growing in a clump as violets do, but no sign of any flowers as
yet.
Any suggestions what I can look up?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

Violet shaped as in heart shaped? Is it damp where it is growing?
Marsh marigolds (Caltha) have yellow buttercup flowers but will
already have flowered by now. If the leaves are hand sized, you have
Coltsfoot (Tussilago) or Rats Umbrellas (Petasites fragrans) both of
which are weeds (nice plants but weeds nonetheless). If it is a
garden plant, there are some daisy family things with heart shaped
leaves and yellow flowers (Doronicum). Very hard to tell from words
only; wait til it flowers?
Old 13-06-2008, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:34:39 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article 02bb446d-47d5-4746-a39e-
,
says...
[...]

Some of the violets have very large leaves

Well, we'll have to wait and see if it is a violet, Charlie. The
leaves are so much like that but so much bigger.
Yes, they are heart-shaped, with the same texture and habit as
violets, growing in a shady border among other plants but, according
to my friend, not planted!
No, Dazzhiggins, it's not Marsh Marigold or Coltsfoot. The former is
shinier, the latter more matt than these!
It's not doronicum or anything else daisy-like that I've ever seen.

Any usggestions of violets which might have leaves as big as, say,
lilac?

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-06-2008, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/6/08 16:27, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:
snip

Any usggestions of violets which might have leaves as big as, say,
lilac?

Pam in Bristol

Couldn't be a Trillium, could it?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-06-2008, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:02:49 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 13/6/08 16:27, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:
snip

Any usggestions of violets which might have leaves as big as, say,
lilac?

Pam in Bristol

Couldn't be a Trillium, could it?

No Sacha, thanks. I know Trillium, and it's not that either!

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore View Post
Please can anyone suggest what this plant may be. No photo available
at present. It is in a friend's garden. She says it is nothing she
planted.
It is just like a violet leaf, but bigger than any violet I've seen;
about 3 inches across the widest part.
It is growing in a clump as violets do, but no sign of any flowers as
yet.
Any suggestions what I can look up?
TIA

Pam in Bristol
Perhaps it has already flowered? In which case it may be Brunnera.