Old 15-06-2008, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can onions be eaten?

My Autumn planted onions are a good size, still growing and not yet
ready for storage. However would they be OK to eat? I know they will
not be poisonous but am wondering about their flavour. Thanks.
Old 15-06-2008, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
My Autumn planted onions are a good size, still growing and not yet
ready for storage. However would they be OK to eat? I know they will
not be poisonous but am wondering about their flavour. Thanks.

I recently pulled a couple out of the garden for dinner, as I had none
left in the fridge, and they were perfectly edible with good strong flavour!

As this is my first time growing onions (these were also autumn sets)
how will I know when they are ready to be pulled up and stored, or can I
just take them from the garden as and when I need them?
Old 15-06-2008, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sandy" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
My Autumn planted onions are a good size, still growing and not yet ready
for storage. However would they be OK to eat? I know they will not be
poisonous but am wondering about their flavour. Thanks.

I recently pulled a couple out of the garden for dinner, as I had none
left in the fridge, and they were perfectly edible with good strong
flavour!

As this is my first time growing onions (these were also autumn sets) how
will I know when they are ready to be pulled up and stored, or can I just
take them from the garden as and when I need them?

I take them as I need them and yesterday I dug the whole lot to dry off
indoors to avoid any pest/disease problems

Old 15-06-2008, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| My Autumn planted onions are a good size, still growing and not yet
| ready for storage. However would they be OK to eat? I know they will
| not be poisonous but am wondering about their flavour. Thanks.

Why not try one and see?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.