Old 24-06-2008, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default romanescu question

How tall do 'Romaescu' grow?

The reason I ask as that the ones I have planted out have grown as tall as
my purple sprouting broccolli plants - about 1 foot. I can't see how the
great heavy heads are going to be supported if they carry on growing at
this rate.

When I tried growing them a few years ago, the seeds in the packet did
exactly the same thing and no heads appeared, just loads of leaves. The
seed company replaced the pack, and those seeds did grow differently - much
lower, but unfortunately the 'pillars attacked them and devastated them
before they were large enough to pick.

I have my suspicions about this seed packet, which is the same (well known)
seed company. I'd be grateful for any help.

Ros
Old 24-06-2008, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ros Butt" wrote
How tall do 'Romaescu' grow?

The reason I ask as that the ones I have planted out have grown as tall as
my purple sprouting broccolli plants - about 1 foot. I can't see how the
great heavy heads are going to be supported if they carry on growing at
this rate.

When I tried growing them a few years ago, the seeds in the packet did
exactly the same thing and no heads appeared, just loads of leaves. The
seed company replaced the pack, and those seeds did grow differently -
much
lower, but unfortunately the 'pillars attacked them and devastated them
before they were large enough to pick.

I have my suspicions about this seed packet, which is the same (well
known)
seed company. I'd be grateful for any help.

Only a foot tall, they get taller than that. Our winter cauliflowers grew
leaves to about 3 ft last winter and were fantastic, with enormous heads.

Butt? Been talking to a couple of Butts on Genes Reunited, does Isleworth
ring any bells?
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-06-2008, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Bob

I was expecting something at ground level, not on a tall stalk. I was
speaking to somebody last night who has grown them and advised that they do
grow tall, and you have now confirmed that - I shall await events! thanks.

(on the subject of Butt; my husbands surname, I've never heard of anyone in
Isleworth, they seemed to be mostly from Portsmouth, although I haven't
done very much research into his family yet. I only have the tree his
father passed down).

Regards